Blade Corking

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Gillette_Man, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Wishoot

Wishoot Member

I think you'll find these to be great blades without having to cork them. Let us know how it turns out.

2. sas71

sas71 Member

did someone say an eraser works too?

3. grottolord

grottolord New Member

Drinking and corking

no
    open a bottle of wine, cork a blade or two , and drink the wine
    do not open the wine , drink the wine , then attempt corking,

just a little advice,
    The Grottolord

4. ronnieg

ronnieg New Member

what do you do? just cut up a bit of cork? like drag the blade down it?

interesting

5. yomuppet

yomuppet Member

I will never, for the life of me, understand the lengths people will go to to try and eke a decent shave out of poor products (trying to shave with bath soap, corking poor blades, etc.), when there are plenty of products that shave very nicely right out of the package.

Just my 2c.

Cheers.

J

6. ronnieg

ronnieg New Member

any videos or instructions on this? i looked on youtube

7. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Run the edge, flatly accross a cork. But really, dont do it. Just buy a good blade.

8. rollsshaver

rollsshaver Peace be with you

Guys, I have been doing this whole wet-shaving thing for a very long time. Number one thing, I do not use cork. It is too hard and very likely would aid in slightly dulling the blade. I use a hunk of styrofoam. I just run the very edge lightly down the foam a couple times on each side. Not every single blade needs it, but I do it anyway to avoid the grief of those rough ones you come across once in a while. "Corking" does pull away those little burrs that cause an otherwise good blade to give a terrible shave. Stropping the same blades just realigns the edge, and hones it back into smoothness. These are facts guys. 50+ years of experience, all the while trying every different technique around. And this way of stropping has been one of the best things I ever discovered.

9. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Now THAT'S interesting. Simply change the terminology and an unacceptable practice becomes an acceptable one. It's all in the semantics.

I am now a "cork stropper". :cool:

10. rollsshaver

Have you ever tried using a packing peanut or any other type of soft foam instead of cork? if not, try it. You will be happily impressed, I think.

11. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

I will try it today.

12. rollsshaver

Rick, Be sure to use a fresh blade. Cork it using the foam, and then use the stropping technique I have posted. You will, without a doubt, notice a difference.

13. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Okay, am I doing two things here? Correct me if I'm wrong, but am I supposed to run the edge of the blade through the foam, and then strop?

You know, the more I think about this, the more sense it makes. If you need to strop a straight that's made of the finest carbon steel costing hundreds of dollars, then why wouldn't the .10 DE blades benefit from the same treatment?

14. rollsshaver

Yup.......

Make sure that you are running the edge through VERY lightly!! Have you read the posts I have made regarding my stropping method?

And on your second point. That is why I started stropping my blades. I used to strop them 50 years ago, continued stropping my Rolls Razors on a daily basis, and then just picked back up on stropping my DE blades again recently. There is no denying that it works.

15. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

I have not read your stropping posts. Are they in the Shave School section?

16. rollsshaver

Rick, I just posted a thread on it......