Blade opinions

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Sugarbush gnome, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Sugarbush gnome

Sugarbush gnome New Member

A fella on e-bay sent me three packs of blades to try. Dorco ST300, 7AM in a green box, and Persona Platinum in a red box. I'd appreciate some opinions on these before I put them to my face. Up till now, I've only used Feathers. Thanks in advance.

Doc.

2. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

None of these will be as sharp as the feather you've used. Dorco 300's are middle of the road overall, but blades are inconsistant and you'll occassionally get a really good or really bad one. The Dorco 301 blades are better and more consistant. 7AM blades were dull to me, though very smooth; by that I mean I couldn't get a close shave, but didn't get any irritation no matter how agressive I shaved. I haven't tried the red pack personnas.

3. omegapd

omegapd New Member

Love the 7am greens- sharp but forgiving. I also use the Dorcos but only 2 shaves per blade. They're cheap and I don't worry about making them last any longer.

4. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

100% crap

5. JayKay

I believe 7am's only come in green boxes. Are you referring to the gillette 7 o' clock green? They are completely different beasts. 7ams tend to suck, 7 o' clocks are good.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. JayKay

To extend the answer. Personas arent sharp IMHO. Most people who use Dorcos prefer the 301s and I've never met anybody who liked 7a.m.

7. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

The general opinion from us inmates in the funny farm is that the answer differs based on the individual so what is right for different forum members here may not be right for you. So in our humble opinions here at the finny farm is that regarless of what members at this forums say, you will need to try all of those razor blades in turn and decide whats the best for you for yoursekf.

8. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Dorco's tear up my face and, frankly, I hate them. The Personna's work ok for me but just ok. The 7 am's are one of my favorites. For me they are smooth, sharp and work very well. Just goes to show the adage of YMMV is so very true in wet shaving.

9. omegapd

omegapd New Member

Ah, crap...yeah I wasn't paying attention. 7 o'clock greens are what I like. Never tried the others.

10. Corey

Corey Member

Another one not into Dorcos, though I haven't written them off yet. I've only tried them in one razor.

7am's are crap. Haven't tried 7 o'clocks yet, though I have the yellow box version to sample.

11. MsBlackwolf

MsBlackwolf Queen of Critters

Dorco300 I found to be comparable to using a soup can top. 7am was about the same.

12. mmack66

mmack66 Member

I personally find that the Red Pack Personnas afford great shaves. Haven't tried the other 2.

13. JayKay

Yellows are my favorite. I rock them in my HD.

14. Corey

Corey Member

I have one dropped in my Super Speed for tomorrow's shave. I'm lookin forward to giving it a shot.

15. wazazzle

wazazzle New Member

ehhh... imo i thought the 7o's were junk. the dorco310 is do able as i get one shave then toss them. the personnas are my choice pick.

16. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Just becuase a particular blade is popular does not mean anything for Shugarbrush. I still say that he needs to try all of the blades that he recieved and decide which is the best for him. I don't think that forum members can really help in this matter.

17. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

True, but he made the mistake of asking for opinions....

18. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

True enough. You know what happens when you get 12 people together in a room and talk about such a subject as razor blades? You get 144 different opinions. :happy102

19. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Not only that, but as we are in different points in our techniques our own opinions change. When I first started, I couldn't make up my mind which I liked better, Derby, Red Personnas, or Crystals. Now I don't really care much about any of them.

20. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

Is that a play on a Jewish joke?

It's true, though... as for my experience, I don't like any of the Dorco line. The ST 301s will work in a pinch, but I'd sooner use the walmart personna brand. Red Pack Personnas are my go to blade these days. I get reasonably close, comfortable shaves with them. Not as close as with a Feather, but I also don't nick myself with them as I do with a Feather either.