Blade opinions

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Sugarbush gnome, Mar 19, 2009.

1. rbaloha

rbaloha Member

Best low cost blade: derby. Blade quality in a pack varies. Quality of shave improves with increased frequency. Stropping helps immensely.

Best higher priced blade: gillette yellows. Sharp, smooth and consistent. Worth the extra cost.

2. Sugarbush gnome

Sugarbush gnome New Member

Yup, I did. And I appreciate those opinions and the information within these posts. I might try the Persona reds. I'll probably shitcan the rest.

Doc.

3. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Shit can = wait a month and send them to a noob.

You should at least try the derbys. 7ams....ehh.

4. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Correct as usual on your second line jaykay. However I would add to your list Wilkinson Sword.

5. Sugarbush gnome

Sugarbush gnome New Member

Funny you should mention Wilkinson Sword. They were the blades I used regularly 35 years ago before I gave up my DE for a Schick injector. I wonder if they're as good as they used to be?

Doc.

6. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

Agreed. I have just finished a couple month, fairly extensive search for "The Blade". For me I found a whole mess of blades (many of them popular) that provide average to just barely above average shaves. I was starting to worry I'd never find one that works. Luckily in the end I found 7 o'clock blacks from Gillette. They're costly and not the easiest to get, but worth it to my face.

7. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I found wilconsons to give a decent shave, but were rather dull, and certainly not the cheapest.

8. boyextraordinare

boyextraordinare New Member

All good shavers, IMO, though I haven't tried the 7AMs in ages.

Red Personnas are excellent, and Dorco Blues don't get enough attention.

Before I acquired a ton of blades, I used to load up my razors with either ST300s or Astra Superiors, both of which I'd buy in hundred packs locally: 8.50 USD for the Dorcos, 10 for the Astras.

And so far as I saw it, the Astra blades weren't worth 1.50 more.

9. Kratos

Kratos New Member

I like the Astra Supes. 7AM trash is going to be given away or used as paint scrapers. Dorco's are ok by me.

10. akhorosh

akhorosh New Member

In my opinion Feather, Gillette 7 O'clock Sharp Edge and Polsilver are the best blades to shave with.

11. DarkAudit

DarkAudit Active Member

I'm hooked on the NOS "Spoiler" Super Stainless and Platinum-Plus. Fortunately I've got a decent supply (and hands off the ones on the 'bay, they're mine! :D)

12. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

What is this funny farm you are always referring to??

13. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

i like:

DE-

german wilkinsons. i hate UK wilkinsons.
    swedish gillettes
    treet blue special
    supermarket blades

I-

NOS schick
    chinese schick

SE -

pella
    PAL super single edge
    treet