Blade PIF: Personna "Lab Blue" blades

Discussion in 'Freebies' started by 5Savages, Jan 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tuco99

tuco99 Well-Known Member

Today was day one with the Blue Lab and I received a smooth DFS in my EJ89.Certainly not like the other Personna's that were sold too me as "lab" blades.
    Day #1 Excellent

2. tuco99

tuco99 Well-Known Member

IMG_0111 (Medium).JPG
    Lab blues on left,"lab" middle and Crystals on the right
    Those "Lab" blades were nothing but irritation and certainly don't look the same

3. 5Savages

5Savages Well-Known Member

4. tuco99

tuco99 Well-Known Member

5. tuco99

tuco99 Well-Known Member

Second shave and received a smooth DFS maybe better than yesterday.
    Day#2 Excellent

6. 5Savages

My second shave on this current blade, using a sample of Mystic Waters - Lily of the Valley shaving soap was fantastic. I barely felt the blade. It makes me fairly certain my last Lab was a dud.

7. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

Alright I took another go at the Lab Blue blades. I loaded it in my Gillette Black Handled SS. There is no doubt aout it, these blades are sharp. I think there is something about the make of them that wants to try to leave irritation...kind of like a Feather. I assume it is just the angle though. In anycase shave number one was a big success! Two passes for a DFS shave!

8. tuco99

tuco99 Well-Known Member

A little behind in updates
    Day #3 was a good DFS with some touch ups
    Day #4 wasn't as good and will be last for this blade
    Over all a good 3 shave blade which is average for me.

9. 5Savages

CyanideMetal likes this.
  10. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Seems that there are a lot of different blues out there. Mine were eBay $12.99/100 . Blue box, blue wrapper. They do not state:Barber- Lab,or Medical. We may be all looking at apples and oranges!

11. BossManBill

BossManBill Well-Known Member

I've had a dozen shaves already with the blades, 4 shaves on each.

They are probably my favorite, but have only used the Merkur blade and some Dorkos.

Very gentle shave but sharp. They have served me very well.

Thanks again for the chance to try them out. I would definitely recommend them for anyone to try.

12. 5Savages

Those are the same as the ones I PIF'd.

13. Hal24

Hal24 New Member

Hi all,
    I recently ordered a package of 100 and am eagerly awaiting them.
    What is the consensus regarding the "Blues" (Labs)?
    Seems that they are generally well liked or have the opinions changed?
    Thanks from this newbie for your comments.
    H.

14. 5Savages

Hey Hal24, welcome to The Shave Den!!

I've given away some of these blades to at least 20 people and all the feedback I got was positive (though not everyone gave me feedback on these). They are still my top line blades, along with Voskhods. You will get a dud now and again, so if you find on the first use of a blade that it's not very comfortable, don't be afraid to try another one. I've only had one dud in about 20 Labs used.

15. BossManBill

BossManBill Well-Known Member

I still love em!

16. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I certainly do hope you like 'em. My advice is to never buy any blade in bulk until you've tried 3-5 blades of that kind. Big bummer if they don't work out.
    As I said, I hope they work for you.
    Welcome to the Den!

17. Hal24

Hal24 New Member

Hi Steve,
    Glad to be here with you guys. I live in Canada and it seems it takes fore ever to get mail, especially packages, to my house. I think our Canada Post has reverted back to dog sleds.
    I also ordered a sample pack from TSD a while ago which I intend to use before the P's.
    Cheers,
    Hal

18. 5Savages

While that is some very good advice, if you end up not liking these you should have no problem getting rid of them, either by trading or selling them. You might lose a few bucks, and you might have to wait until you're eligible to use the classifieds on whatever forum you choose to use, but they're well liked, so you'll be able to get rid of them if needed.

19. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

True.
    Guess I'm just a bit on the frugal side. I hate to put money out on something I might not like.
    I gotta try it first. But that's me.

20. coche1

coche1 Actively Wishing Member

The first blade from this PIF gave me a very close shave for 3 shaves, but the blade seemed to be just waiting for a chance to irritate and burn my skin. Close shave, but not all that comfortable for me. To me, these were kind of like 1 step further than my experience with Feathers- slightly closer than I got from the Feather but also a bit more irritation.

I just finished up a 3-day trial of blade #2 from this PIF with better results. These blades certainly seem to be anxious to irritate, but I was able to get a comfortable DFS 2 out of the days. My normal rotation for trying out blades is a 'standard' 3-pass shave on day 1, a 2-pass abbreviated shave on day 2 (skip the WTG pass), and a 3-4 pass shave on Day 3 (doubling up on the ATG pass if not close enough) with touchups. I got a bit of irritation on Day 2 this time, but with a bit of extra care I definitely got nice, close, DFS's. All in all, good blades and I really want to get some med prep personnas to compare against, or at the very least some more lab blues!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.