Blade sharpness comparison

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Dusty5150, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Mitch

Mitch Active Member

Oops... sorry Dusty5150. I just realized the link I posted was the same one you initially found. My bad. I haven't found an all encompassing one, just trial and error is gonna be your best bet. The mildest blade I have tried yet is Derby Extra. My other suggestion is Wilkinson Sword, that seems to be a pretty good "middle of the road" blade. It's a bit sharper than the Derby. If you haven't tried the Derby blade and would like to, let me know and I would be happy to PIF you some. :)

2. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Sharpness isn't everything. Feathers are a sharp blade, but degrade super fast. I would much rather use a slightly less sharp blade that is smoother and longer lasting.

3. Mitch

Mitch Active Member

Sharpness is interesting. That was one of the most fascinating things I learned from the article that Dusty posted at the top of the thread. I always assumed that a shaving razor (like any blade edge) would work best if it were as sharp as humanly possible. But the article mentioned how different skin types react to different blade edges so even though a super sharp blade (like a feather) is going to cut the easiest, certain skin types may actually find that level of sharpness to be uncomfortable or damaging and they may actually require a more dull or "mild" blade. Fascinating! That would never have occurred to me.