Blade Touch Up Questions

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by BaylorGator, May 22, 2018.

1. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

That's the ticket!

Keithmax and Karl G like this.
  2. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

Sometimes, extra stropping after a CrOx touchup can make a big difference, 100 or more laps instead of 50.

Keithmax, Karl G and Spyder like this.
  3. Pete123

Pete123 Well-Known Member

I'm a big fan of balsa with .3 micron on one side and .1 on the other. I like this because it doesn't take skill like stones. You strop as though you would on a strop.

This setup saved me from having to send my razor out for professional honing several times while making newbie mistakes when learning to shave and strop.

Also, as most of you know, I work with new Dovo blades. Most of them come with a good hone. By the time I rescale the razor, it usually can't be made shave ready with a strop. It doesn't need a new honing. The balsa works wonders on these.

Keithmax, Arnout and lindyhopper66 like this.
  4. Arnout

Arnout Well-Known Member

I hardly use paste anymore, but i know people that use nothing but pasted strops.

The thing about balsa, it is easy to press a dent in it.

Keithmax likes this.
  5. Pete123

Pete123 Well-Known Member

Balsa does dent easily, though I keep mine with honing stones and it doesn't have any so far.

Another nice thing with balsa is that you can get a piece at Hobby Lobby or somewhere similar that will make three balsa strops for less that $5.

Keithmax likes this.
  6. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I use a pasted linen strop in between touch-ups on a stone.

SevenEighth likes this.
  7. Arnout

Arnout Well-Known Member

I have pasted leather loom strops

SevenEighth likes this.
  8. SevenEighth

SevenEighth Well-Known Member

I prefer pasted leather to linen. Have never got on well with any type of canvas as far as paste goes.

9. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

I've honed my razors are 3m lapping film followed by chromium oxide on rough side leather paddle strop and then horse hide strop. While the process was the same, I've noticed that all razors do not shave the same and I need to adapt to the blade. Each does a good shave, but each is a bit different.