Blades Revisited

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Shep, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

This might seem like a no brainer, but sometimes I'm thick and slow to catch on! This is directed at those who have been shaving with a DE for a year or so and have their technique and confidence basically down. I was recently discussing blade choices with a friend who is new to wetshaving. I of course mentioned the sample pack we all go through to determine which works best for him. It got me thinking.

In the beginning we are trying all sorts of new things from creams to soaps to brushes to razors to blades all while trying to perfect a technique. All kinds of variables involved. Throw in the "kid in a candy store" factor and it's all pretty overwhelming. Anyway after having this conversation w/ my friend I decided to go back and revisit my blade choice. You see I had finally settled on a blade that is fairly expensive and not so easy to come by. I wondered now that I know what I'm doing would some of those other blades that I earlier dismissed now work? You know what....they did. My shave is essentially the same as is comfort. I'm going to reorder a sampler pack and go through them again only this time with some experience under my belt. I bring this up in case anybody else has this eureka moment, you may want to do the same. Happy shaving.

2. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I saved one or two of most of my blades for about 9 months and then revisited them. Definitely had a few with different opinions, but nothing dramatic. The biggest drop was with Treet blades, and the biggest improvements were feathers and Crystals. Still, Astra blades never left the top spot. True, they only beat 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge due to price, but why pay more for an equal product?

3. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

I've changed my opinions more from razor changes than from technique changes I believe...With the razors I had when I came back to TWS I made my blade choices but I got this '52 steel Black Tip SS this past July, and its the least blade sensitive razor I have....It doesn't really seem to care...I'm sticking in blades that failed in my 'Slim', and it still gives a great shave.....Although some blades are easier than others, none of the blades I still have around actually failed in the SS.
    I feel like Erik, The Perma-Sharp Supers are my favs, but the Astras are practically the same and even made in the same plant, but cost about half as much, sooo."Why pay more for an equal product??

4. dashmaverick

dashmaverick Member

When I first started TWS I used to hate Bic chrome platinum blades. They pulled and tugged and left my face a blood bath. Same with Treet blades. Now with close to 3 years under my belt, the Bic's are one of my favorite! I also love how smoooooooth the Treet platinum blades are, something that couldn't be said when I first started my journey.

5. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

True enough that razor and blade combination makes a difference. I've settled on three basic razors I use and will take the time to reevaluate a sampler pack with each razor. I guess my main point is when you're new, you're blowing through so many products and variables all while not really understanding how to shave a DE properly. An otherwise perfectly good product may have been dismissed due to lack of understanding rather than poor quality. That's what I'm finding anyway. I've never even tried Treets, Bics or Lords. Time to place an order.

6. Goodknightbri

Goodknightbri New Member

Good point. I think after the method is down it's time to run through samples again. I have a box full that I usually would use as throw-ins on my shave den reduction sales. This thread has me considering go back through and trying some other blades. I'm in the IP/feathers contingency right now which isn't cheap...

7. dashmaverick

dashmaverick Member

Hmmmmm...... like Williams perhaps???

8. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

:happy097 Gotta give you an A for effort Anthony!

9. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

While this isn't specifically blades revisited for me I did try using KMF cream again. I was getting a rash from some other creams and thought I was allergic to them all, so not true. That and tsd wheat cream is good to go, on the blade front I bought a pack of walmart wilkinson swords saturday and loaded one into my 48-50 ss and I got to say the warrior likes it. I'm only 2 shaves in so hopefully they will reach the necessary 7 shave limit.

10. newb

newb Resident Newb

When I first started wet shaving I used Merkurs in an HD. They left my face` with an awful painful razor burn with tons of weepers. By far had to be the worst blade ever made. I revisited merkurs a while back and I really like them. One of my favorites now. It's Not the sharpest blade ,but my newish technique still can't tolerate the the very sharp blades. Currently I hate feathers and astra's. Maybe in another 6 mos my technique will improve to the point that I like them. It's a great idea to periodically re-evaluate your products as your skills improve.

11. Will

Will Nevermind

I did that same thing about a year ago and I find almost all blades give me the same shave, even the CVS Brands but with small differences in closeness an longevity.

12. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

Hey Will nice to see you. I was asking about you awhile back after my return. How's AZDOC treating you?

I revisited Merkur blades this morning. Decent enough shave but even a brand new one that was stropped before use kind of dragged and pulled. Not that comfortable. Guess this is one that I won't go back to. Anyone else find this w/ Merkur blades?

13. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I have found that with improved technique the el cheapo Dollar store blades shave just find in the DE's. Not that I use them much but I do from time to time.

Fuzzy

14. ferroburak

ferroburak New Member

I also have the same experience.

15. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

Believe it or not Dorco 300's are working quite nicely in the Gillette open comb. I dismissed this blade without a second thought a couple years ago. This really surprises me...I didn't expect Dorco to be in the running for a second chance. Anyone ever try the 301's? Better/Worse/Same?

16. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Dorco 301's are a good blade, but I have not tried the 300 yet, perhaps I shall tomorrow. I have several hundred of the 301's in stock along with Gillette Super Thins.

17. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

kind of. I had a ten pack that took me forever to use up. I would use one blade, hate it, rotate to a different blade and revisit the Merkurs a few months later.

The last few blades in the pack were okay. By that time I had settled on two razors and they're the only two I own now. I *think* it was my open comb MP R89 that worked with them. I could get an average shave. Considering the cost of Merkur blades, I concluded once and for all that Merkur blades aren't worth it.

In other news, I revisited 7AM blades about a month back. Great economy blade! I may be buying 100 here soon. They aren't perfect, but the cost to performance ratio is quite high.

18. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Of course this is a YMMV thing, but I found the 301's to be much better than the 300's, but still not quite the blade for me.

I had a couple of the 7am's sitting on my shelf for over a year without trying them thanks to reading some less than favorable reviews, but I was pleasantly surprised when I finally did try them. I'm thinking they may be my bulk replacement for the Derbys that seemed to have changed.

19. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

On Dorcos, - I find the 300's mostly usable but inconsistant. Not worth the risk of the bad blades IMHO. The 301's I find very consistant a good mild blade, perfect for head shaving IMHO.

7am blades - I'm not sure if they're sharp enough to cut warm butter. At least they feel that way to me.

20. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

Well I've only used one Dorco so far. Lasted 3 shaves which is about my norm. I have a pack of 9 left so I'm gonna go through them all with each of my razors and see where they stand. So far...promising. Stingraysrock-Jeff is graciously going to send me a pack of 301's so I can compare. Good on ya mate! :happy088