blades

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by icemanwbs, Dec 7, 2014.

1. icemanwbs

icemanwbs Well-Known Member

Stainless, Teflon, steel......so many different ones ! Feeling a bit overwhelmed with the choices. US....Russian......Israeli.....Chinese.....UK....head spinning.:angry021:

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Just buy 5 packs of a lot of different ones. You will find one that suits you but it may not suit the next person. We all like different blades in different razors. I seldom use a DE but when I do I like the cadet open comb with a feather

SRNewb and icemanwbs like this.
  3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Go to tryablade.com really good vendor, buy as many or as little.

4. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

The best thing to do is to not think about it, and just jump in and start trying them. All those different coatings are kind of meaningless. While they make a difference to the blade, they generally aren't going to make much difference to your face. Blades are the most YMMV thing with shaving, I think.

5. icemanwbs

icemanwbs Well-Known Member

Found a sample pack of 75 on try a blade. Do the Teflon coated ones generally last a couple more shaves though, guess that's what I'm asking.

6. Mr. Shaverman

For some they do, for some they do not. YMMV. Seriously. Voskhods, which are teflon coated are my favorites. A lot of people can't shave with them at all.

icemanwbs likes this.
  7. GeneralKinetics

GeneralKinetics Well-Known Member

icemanwbs likes this.
  8. Mr. Shaverman

Don't be fooled just because he has pics of the blade, it's still YMMV. There are so many blades on there that he claims are superior, sharp and work awesomely, that I wouldn't let near my face. At the end of the day he's just doing the same blade reviews we all do, buthe has pics. There's nothing scientific there, and I'd even suggest there's a good helping of the placebo effect. He gives a good report of how a blade works on his face, he doesn't give anywhere near accurate report on how a given blade works on my face, your face, etc.

icemanwbs likes this.
  9. GeneralKinetics

GeneralKinetics Well-Known Member

For sure, always. It's just a good start and a good read. You should always take anything anyone says with several million grains of salt.

icemanwbs and Mr. Shaverman like this.
  10. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

The only way to know for a fact if any particular blade works for your face and technique is to try it. That's why blade sample packs are so important and why tryablade.com is such a GREAT idea. Don't worry about coatings, name brands or even reviews. Try as many blades as you can and see what works for you! Another good thing about sample packs is you wind up with extra blades that you can try out with your other razors..:)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
    icemanwbs and Mr. Shaverman like this.