"Blind" Blade Test

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by ekf1204, Mar 24, 2014.

1. ekf1204

ekf1204 Member

Ok, I'm not suggesting I shave blindfolded, it only looks like I do.

I've been reading some of the threads on various blades and I know YMMV for any given blade, but has anyone enlisted their spouse to load up a blade out of a sample pack and evaluated it without any preconceived notions?

I'm way to new at this to have this be a worthwhile exercise as I am still refining my technique just a couple weeks into wet shaving.

Just received a sample pack of 9 different blades and may give it a try down the road... but until then has anyone given it a try?

178-bplatoon likes this.
  2. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I saw on another forum, a guy would have someone load up two identical razors with different blades and shave one side of his face with each for a week or so and do a blind comparison of the two. The reviews were some interesting reads.

3. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Actually your never to new to try a blade sampling...What will be interesting is your thoughts on how you feel about the blades now and then revisit the ones you reject 6,8,12 months from now and see how you feel about those blades... As time passes and your technique improves, it just might surprise you how you feel about the blades then.......:)

swarden43 likes this.
  4. ekf1204

ekf1204 Member

I am definitely trying different blades, but the lack of consistency in my technique makes it harder to determine what is blade difference vs my technique. Haven't noticed much difference between the blandest I've used so far. (Astra, gillette 7 o'clock blk, gillette Wilkenson).

5. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

When I was testing in the beginning my personal blade parameters were comfort,lack of irritation and longevity.... I would go into my sample pack(order is unimportant your choice) I'd take 3 blades at a time,over a 3 day period,one shave per blade and then choose a winner, set it to the side and then move on to the next group of (3) blades,pick a winner and so on until I had my top 2 or 3 blades out of that sampler and those became my go to blades until/unless (as time went on) I found something better...You can then proceed to the 30 day rule with your blades if you want for futher testing such as longevity testing..

Try to be patient,(remember how you eat an elephant,one bite at a time:)), it does take a little time and it can be a little over whelming at first... You will find that as time passes your technique will change and improve...Some blades you may like now, you will not be as impressed with later and vice versa..Hang in there it will work out in the end and to your benefit..:happy088:

6. Xcursion88

Xcursion88 New Member

I have a pretty good sense of feel so I don't need to do a random test. I can comment on a few but nothing like some of the guys here. Derby extra blades feel of good construction (as good of construction as a thin razor blade could be) LOL...but Derby extra are not very sharp. My beard is very coarse..VERY...I shave every day several passes. I can get one shave out of a Derby. Even if I flip the blade over it is basically shot for me. Generic packaged for box store brand..(not sure who makes these) are not too bad of blades, do not feel as nice as Derby but a little sharper. I can get about two shaves out of a blade. I got some blades from Korea recently. Very blah of quality and on about equal sharpness of the generic store versions. Shave and a half is good for me from these. Wilkinson sword blades feel about as nice in quality as the Derby blades but a little sharper. Possibly a tad sharper than generic store packaged version. Getting two shaves from one blade and that is it.
    These are the only blades I have experience with to date. I am trying to find some feather blades but seem impossible to find locally. Some things are nice to be able to walk into a store and leave with them in hand. Feather seems a bit elusive in this regard.

I know some of you might be thinking what does he mean when saying the quality feel of the blade and how does it tie in with being sharp. Actually they don't really tie together at all. Regardless how sharp how does that metal feel dragging across my beautiful property is what I am talking about. There is something to be said about the feel of that. I would rather shave with a dull Derby blade over the cheap Korean blades that are new and sharp. They just don't feel nice going across the face as the Derby's feel great...even if dull.

If you gents get lucky enough to shave legs of the woman in your life give the Derby's a try. Not too sharp in case you are nervous, and using a brand new blade versus a woman and her leg hair (which is nothing as abrasive as face shaving) makes for a productive time....and should net you some productive points afterward too. :happy108::happy108::happy108::happy108: