Bloomers without Borders (Bw/oB)

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by RyX, May 12, 2018.

1. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

I'm hoping B w/o B does not preclude the President from making application denial to unrepentant members of the Dry Soap Shard Alliance.

brit, RyX and Primotenore like this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

Not offering safe space here at Bw/oB for either pro or con. It's all about sharing the message that everyone gets their soap wet. Timing and quantity of hydration vary but we're all in it for the lather. If the D.S.S.A. can figure out how to wet shave without the use of water or other similar hydrating materials I'll be surprised.

brit and Edison Carter like this.
  3. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

B w/0B worx for me. Means we welcome everyone and anyone. It appears we are competing against the D double-S A

brit and RyX like this.
  4. Briscoe

Briscoe Well-Known Member

How does one become a member of this distinguished society?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

brit, RyX and Paul Turner like this.
  5. Paul Turner

I would refer you to @Primotenore, our President, for the best answer to your question. However, as Vice-President, I'll just say, get in the habit of wetting your brush(ands of course shaking it dry)prior to applying it to the soap for loading. Or, do a quick job of wetting the soap, especially any soap you haven't used for a while. By "quick" I mean just that-don't drown the soap in water-just a few sprinkles. Hey @Primotenore, he called us distinguished, I like him, already.

brit and RyX like this.
  6. RyX

RyX DoH!

I wouldn't call it a competition. We of Bw/oB are a loosely organized number of individuals gathered to promote the many ways of introducing water to soap. That other group is more of a syndrome, a collection of symptoms with no specific cause.

If you enjoy making lather your way, you already are! To continue in good standing pay attention when others remark about how they make theirs. The act of "Blooming" specifically refers to getting a hard soap puck wet prior to loading soap on to the brush. It's not a procedure that lends itself to cream or soft soap products. If a Shaver only uses one soap day after day, it may not be necessary as the hydration level of the puck is maintained with repeated uses. Should the Shaver possess several, many, even a plethora of brands or varied scents of shave soap there's the possibility that they may become dry between uses. Bam! Bloom it. :cool:

Primotenore, brit and Edison Carter like this.
  7. Briscoe

Briscoe Well-Known Member

Then I am a member then, I face and head lather from the puck. It works out quite well for me.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

brit, RyX, Paul Turner and 1 other person like this.
  8. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

NICE! Love the name change.

9. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I am glad you weirdos are becoming more inclusive. :)

MR41, BigMark83, brit and 2 others like this.
  10. Paul Turner

YOU might love it but I had to go to all the trouble to change the name in my "Signature".

11. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Bloomers by any other name.....still bloomers.

:cool:

MR41, brit and RyX like this.
  12. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Gotta keep the numbers up somehow eh??

MR41, brit, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  13. Edison Carter

Why am I not surprised?

MR41, brit and RyX like this.
  14. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

They're just keeping you on your toes!

MR41 and brit like this.
  15. Paul Turner

I just hope the others followed my lead(chuk yuk yuk).

brit likes this.
  16. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

Do you need to bloom all soaps to be a member? I only bloom hard soaps, usually.

17. Paul Turner

Hard ones are those that SHOULD be bloomed...which I do. Not necessary with softer ones, although I think it's still good to rinse the brush in them(but just a little).

brit, RyX and BigMark83 like this.
  18. RyX

RyX DoH!

VP Paul @Paul Turner covered the mechanics of necessity. Or call it convenience if you will. If a soap is dry be it quintuple milled Klar, triple milled Tabac, some valued vintage that's bereft of the manufacturers original formula's dampness splashing on a little water aids in getting plenty of lather. Should you possess a large inventory of modern croaps that don't get used often enough they become hard soaps through evaporation. I've heard of folks intentionally drying creams to achieve a hard soap like consistency; Made in India Old Spice tubed cream. That's all the mechanics and alchemy of blooming.

As to membership in Bw/oB, part of our mission is to share the good news that loading soap doesn't need be a chore. Getting a good load on your brush defeats the "Load More Product" problem that is common for New Shavers. Bloom, Load Heavily, and Enjoy Your Lather. It's OK to waste a little soap, they'll make more. Another portion of our message is that everyone hydrates their soap. There's an exception for those that use canned shave cream straight up. I'm a bit of a Heretic over in the Brotherhood of Barbasol for my methods; I shoot a blob into my shave bowl, punch the air out of it with my brush, and hydrate it to a more shiny wet consistency. I know - madness, right? One man's milk is another's stinky cheese. So if you feel the need to share your lathering technique and it includes adding water to soap, you are a bloomer. Personally I consider anyone who enjoys "Wet Shaving" already in. They just don't know it.

MR41, BigMark83, Primotenore and 2 others like this.
  19. Edison Carter

I have taken notice that members of the Mayflower Old Dry Shard Soap Alliance, regularly miss the little holes placed in certain shaving scuttles that permit the blooming effect of the hot water on the underside of a soap.

One could draw many conclusions about this strange behavior and hypocrisy in their blind dry soap faith, or just conclude that they just need something to whine about.

Can get them some cheese for that whine.

20. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

You don't need to bloom any soaps..... Just saying.....

Primotenore and brit like this.