Blooming a Soap Or Not

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by fishcrow, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

2. RyX

RyX DoH!

Yeah, I was expecting Fuzzy @wchnu to do his "Running through the room" in short order. Considering the subject, he'd climb up on the soap puck (box?) and tell us how it really is with blooming.
    Thank you for clarifying. I didn't see any blood so I wasn't sure what the axe had done.
    If the water is applied before, during, or after soap hits the scene the results might vary but generally you get lather. I prefer using a bowl . Others face lather. Can't we all just get along?
    In trying to establish just what is meant by "blooming", putting water on a soap puck to release the scent seems to be the earliest definition. Currently it also includes hydrating a hard puck of dry soap to soften it quickening loading of the brush. The same effect happens when a wet brush is applied to a dry puck, just more slowly? Some shavers like lots of lather, excess lather, creamy rich dribbling down your neck, well hydrated lather. What better way than to soften the hard puck with a little water while your brush is soaking. In extreme cases of really dry soap (like vintage soap of no specific brand ;)) an over night softening might restore the original texture and ease of loading. I understand Mitchell's Wool Fat can dry and crack if left unused for a relatively short time. Using the soap every shave for a week can restore the original hydration and facilitate loading. I wouldn't consider incidental wetting of your soap as a blooming activity. Only deliberate hydration.
    TLDR; You might be a Bloomer.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  3. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I'll take this stand ......... I can neither confirm or deny the act of "blooming" taking place in any shave den that I have been in any contact or proximity. The act of "blooming" is still in the classified stage and remains an act that is still truly undefined in the den near the place of this correspondence. The question differentiating "hydration" and "blooming" ...... one being beneficial and the other being drowning of ones shaving soap still need further clarification, debate, and just plain needling. ;)

:eatdrink013:

Carry on shaving and welcome to the fun @wchnu

:shaver

Keithmax, Hembree, jtspartan and 5 others like this.
  4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Damp brush is all that is needed. Blooming is for the garden.

That is not blooming. More washing the cake off. Not needed but it does not cross into rant street.

Thank GAWD!!!
    You used up a lot of words there. As I have shown in video with a vintage cake of Colgate there is no need to bloom. A damp brush will bring it back to life.

Lets also rember all that butter cream lather is a waste. If you still feel the need to bloom grow some tulips...

Keithmax, Hembree, brit and 3 others like this.
  5. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Cake washing...yeah, that's it. I think we're starting to bring you around, Fuzzy. Next up will be the two-sided shiny thingies. Pretty soon your Den will be filled with freshly washed cakes of MdC and Timeless razors polished to an ultra high luster. Williams pucks will be used for door stops as your addiction to creamy yogurt lather takes hold. :D

6. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I'll buy some Williams pucks to give donate to ,my next moving team so they have items to keep doors open for the transfer of boxes from the van to the apartment.

wristwatchb, Hembree, brit and 2 others like this.
  7. RyX

RyX DoH!

I liken the debate to the current rise in Flat Earthers. There's a bit of fun being on the Blooming Side poking jest at Dry Soap People. In the end it has raised some lively discussion and increased lather hydration awareness.

8. brit

brit in a box

cake washers without boarders..a slow progression..;)

9. Bama Samurai

Confession:

I bloom my soap, but always let it go to seed, in order to have soap to plant next spring.

10. Bama Samurai

Lather may be defined as an ideal mixture, in a ratio that is user defined/preferred, of air, water and soap. This ratio can be achieved many different ways.

Keithmax, wristwatchb, RyX and 3 others like this.
  11. Bama Samurai

brit, wristwatchb, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  12. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

13. wristwatchb

It's much like the tried and true Mullet Ratio. Note the use of centimeter measurements. This here is science.
    1.jpg

Keithmax, Frijolero, EDC and 5 others like this.
  14. Hembree

You cannot argue with science!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    Keithmax, RyX, brit and 1 other person like this.
  15. Bama Samurai

Noted: It ended irrationally. Most Camaro stories do.

Keithmax, RyX, brit and 2 others like this.
  16. McCrae

McCrae Well-Known Member

I personally never bloom. Like yourself, I find I get a much better lather when loading with a wet brush on a dry puck. I find this true especially for triple milled soaps like MWF. I also read somewhere that blooming wastes soap, not that I care personally, I have too many to go through as it is!

Frijolero, wristwatchb, RyX and 2 others like this.
  17. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I don’t soak the soap. I wet it and the brush. Works great.

Hembree, RyX and brit like this.
  18. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Always someone trying to get me thrown out of the bar...:lam::prrr:

19. Hembree

:happy102:

RyX and brit like this.
  20. wristwatchb

You can't have your cake and wash it too...or something like that. I hope all is well and day shift isn't too hard on you, Fuzzy. :)

Keithmax, Frijolero, RyX and 2 others like this.