Blown Resolution

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Williams Warrior, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I was determined to not buy anything shaving related in 2012 because I have enough software to last through this year and at least half of 2013 it seems. In an afternoon of weak minded shopping yesterday I bought a Dovo Natural, leather sheath, a tub of Cella, and a big bottle of Tabac after shave. Has anybody here already blown their New Year's resoutions?

IAmTheJody, battle.munky and alpla444 like this.
  2. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Not yet I have some bits later this month but it was kinda sorted out before christmas, but I'm sure its only a matter of time. I posted a thread asking RAD 2010? Although if your saw my current ebay "watch page" you would laugh big time.

3. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

"A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can do without."
    But what fun is that!!

Hanzo likes this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Can't break what you don't make.

5. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

That is my policy as well!

CyanideMetal likes this.
  6. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

Not lecturing or enabling but if your interest/hobby is shaving you're going to make purchases so cold turkey is unrealistic. I have , save for the leather sheath, all that you bought and you got good value and enjoyable products for reasonalbe coin. If you just want to enjoy your morning shave and your relationship to shaving gear is that it should be low priced , practical and utilitarian in small quantities then a little self-discipline and self control is not a problem. Total indifference to shaving would mean dropping forum memberships, not looking at the SOTD or the Hauls and its just a part of grooming.

If you broke your resolution with a $1000 custom straight, a case of Martin de Cadre, 12 bottles of Blenheim Bouquet and a personal visit to the Feather Factory in Japan to pick up some blades , then I'd say you REALLY broke that resolution.

7. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

I could not make a resolution that would involve not adding to my den. I love shaving too much to do that.

8. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I'm not planning any major shaving purchases this year. I have enough to keep me happy, but if I happen upon an incredible deal on a rarity....

I may pick up a puck or two of soap. I have a great variety of creams, but not so much with the soap.

9. Williams Warrior

Well this was $200.00 in money that came in that wasn't expected so I splurged. I didn't need the razor but I've never had a new straight and this was the opprotunity, and as far as the other stuff, I've been seeing so many threads about Cella my curiosity got the best of me. The Tabac is something I've been hankering for but I just haven't been budgeting it, so I went for this stuff as that much money doesn't fall into my lap very often.

PanChango likes this.
  10. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Found money is great. There's no need for a justification.

Did you try either of the soaps yet or are you still awaiting them?

11. Williams Warrior

No I just ordered them yesterday so hopefully they'll come in sometime early next week. Bullgoose is pretty fast and SRD is supposed to be fast shipping stuff out as well.

12. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Active Member

I made the same resolution not to buy anything shaving related this year. I just got this urge to simplify, to cut down my gear to just a few things that I use more frequently and enjoy more. Eventually I'll have only about 3 or 4 soaps (two tallow and one or two glycerine), and one cream at a time. I'm a little OCD, so it frustrates me to have all this stuff laying around that's not getting used up. I also have a couple of software items that I consider seasonal, like TSD Pink Grapefruit soap for the warm months, Mama Bear's Christmas Rose for the holidays, etc. I definitely have enough soaps and creams to last me through the year, so I have decided to allocate that money to other things this year.

Everyone has their reasons when they choose to make a resolution like that. I say if you had a moment of weakness and broke it, it's time to revisit why you made the resolution to begin with. If you had a good reason for making it, you're only a week into the year; it's not too late to honor your resolution for the rest of the year. If it wasn't a good reason, to heck widdit. :scared011:

13. Mechguy

Mechguy Well-Known Member

I like the way your mind works. I don't think there is anything left to say after that.

14. Mechguy

Mechguy Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I broke my resolution, but I wanted to start exercising again even when travelling.
    Well I haven't really started anything, so does that count as breaking a promise?

15. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

As long as you start before Dec. 31, you've broken nothing!

Mechguy, Hanzo and CyanideMetal like this.
  16. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I was HOPING to spend less money but that just failed miserably. Just ordered a 37C, Omega Mighty Midget, Alum Stick and a tube of Palmolive Menthol.

Last razor. I hope.

Actually what I think is happening is that I'm buying so many damn razors to find one that is just flawless in almost any situation. I'm going to sell off all but my favourite. When the boys get old enough for them to start shaving I'd rather have them go with me and pick something out for them to use, I think it would be better than handing them something down that doesn't agree with them.

17. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I have said that myself. I just quit saying that some time ago!

18. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I've put my FatBoy quest on hold, I've spent way too much money lately LOL. I keep telling myself I'll sell off the ones I don't want, but I have a feeling I'll have a hard time parting and won't let any go... At least my razor "to buy list" is basically empty except for the one on hold. My brush bonanza and soap/creams/aftershave list went out to family for my birthday, so they can just buy directly and ship it. Hopefully that will put me in a place where I can settle down for a while!