BlueShaver's Shavette Odyssey.

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by BlueShaver, Oct 23, 2019.

1. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Congrats on the new razor!

BlueShaver and Trigger like this.
  2. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

In time, open blade ATG will yield a closeness and comfort beyond what you expect.

Trigger and BlueShaver like this.
  3. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

A small update:

[​IMG]

I am actively investigating the acquisition of the proper Feather Professional blades as advised by the learned members of this forum ( :) ) , but.......

In an effort to get a feel for the shavette and have some "dry runs" i have loaded one of the blades supplied and have been doing some training runs on the easier bits.
    Some initial thoughts:

• I now realise that my stubble is tough. With the best of prep, the length of the shaving edge of the blades over DE's makes the shaving affair a bit of a pull and a tad uncomfortable. I also suspect that these blades may not be up to it (some report that they are actually OK?). I also think this thought will be utterly discounted if and when i become a bit more proficient and get a better edge.
    • I struggle to see what i am doing as my hand is in the way of my line of sight when shaving. I now understand why this forum has a Yoda Smiley. :yoda
    • I feel very clumsy, but not impossibly so and i do think i will get better.
    • A 30DF beacons....
    • Having cut myself twice, i am no longer terrified of the blade, just merely scared. Slight nicks are not too bad although i fear the day when i am rooting for the superglue...
    • A good soap is a must.

I have had a few stabs (lol) at it. No big effort and i got a few inches hewn here or there.
    One other thing, as a barber tool, this thing is fantastic for trimming and 'scaping :shocked002:

Edison Carter, Trigger and brit like this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

great progress J..

Trigger likes this.
  5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    @BlueShaver
    You are supposed to switch hands when you switch sides of the face. That should help with the vision problem.

It will take a few shaves to get used to using your non-dominant hand for shaving. It's part of the steep learning curve for straight razors, but you'll be a better shaver for it in the end. It will also help you with technique, as you'll be more careful while you learn to use the other hand.

Edison Carter, Trigger and brit like this.
  6. BlueShaver

Thanks. I tried that but i felt like i was brandishing a shovel lol.
    Persistence and dedication is key here isn't it? 100 shaves perhaps? I should do @Trigger on it lol

7. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Jon, this is a good sign that you are willing to go forward with shavette shaving. You went from terrified to scared so that is a big improvement. You will go from scared to ok, it's not so bad and then from there to the feeling that this is cool. I want to point out that as long as you don't need stitches then you are on target to continue to improve. I am proud of you, my friend!

8. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Doesn't take a hundred shaves.

It does take a least one decent scar though. The nice thing about straight razor scars is that they heal into nice straight thin white lines that don't show up in photos, but do serve as reminders in the mirror. Skin stretching is much more important with a straight razor, and sideways motion is strongly discouraged. :)

Edit: the most dangerous time is when you feel comfortable shaving with it. It's easy to become careless and overconfident. That's when you'll get that one bad cut that will make you consider growing out your beard for a month.

9. rs_776

rs_776 Well-Known Member

You might want to throw in some Proguards or the Kai equivalent, Protouch MG. I only have experience with the latter. I found it almost difficult to nick myself with the guarded blades (keeping in mind I was an experienced straight/shavette user when I first tried them). With your tough stubble, my guess is that you'll eventually settle on the Pro Supers, but I still recommend trying others.

Again, the tryablade variety pack may be worth checking out (15USD + 5USD for international shipping).

I'm glad to hear that you have graduated from terrified to just plain scared. You're doing quite well!!

Rob

PLANofMAN, BlueShaver and Trigger like this.
  10. Trigger

It is not a hard fast rule, but it is said that @100 shaves, then you should achieve competency. Personally, I have 110 traditional straight and 115 shavette shaves under my belt. I don't consider myself Master Level, but I am very comfortable shaving with both types of razors so that I don't have to think about it. However, it is true that if you become too comfortable so that you let your guard down, then the risk of injury increases.

Edison Carter, PLANofMAN and brit like this.
  11. brit

brit in a box

congrats Jon on your continued exploration.i am happy to have found vintage gillettes as my way..thought about trying a shavette and/or straight but my collecting habits made me think otherwise..hoping you have continuing success and am following along..:)

Edison Carter, Trigger and BlueShaver like this.
  12. BlueShaver

Super replies from all and thanks!

It's well needed encouragement :)

rs_776, Trigger and brit like this.
  13. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Something I don't think I've ever mentioned before. When I first started learning with a straight razor was when I really made the jump from soaps to creams (and croaps). Creams tend on average to be slicker, and far more forgiving to lather. It let me focus 100% on shaving and removed a variable.

14. BlueShaver

I have just loaded a new blade, lathered up and completed my first pass with a shavette! :happy093:

A few things:
    • Speed and confidence seem key. Going slow and feebly is not good.
    • I have followed @PLANofMAN 's advice #1 and tried to use both hands. Hard. Very hard buy not impossible..
    • I followed @PLANofMAN 's advice #2 and used Arko comfort cream. It has increased cushion and is slick as ....
    • I struggled with two areas, the chin and the top lip. I went sideways on the chin and faffed around on the lip.
    • Only one scar. On the chin. Not sure how to go round that corner!
    • Final result was good! Nowhere nr good enough as a full shave but quite acceptable!

15. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I have no advice for the chin. Haven't shaved my chin since I was a teenager. Always have had a beard or at minimum, a goatee. :)

16. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Awesome, keep at it.

Some folks get it all pretty quick.

For 2 weeks or so I did partial shaves and finished up with a safety razor.

I think I was was about a month in and decided to commit to open edge only. Stayed mostly with the same razor for a hundred shaves.

Since I was using a straight I allowed myself a hour of time, with stropping and all. By the end of 100 shaves I was far more comfortable and used much less time.

I recently ordered an Artist Club Shavette. I ordered 2 of the blade samplers from tryablade.com zero in on what I like.

rs_776, PLANofMAN, brit and 1 other person like this.
  17. Trigger

Congratulations, Jon! I think you misunderstood going slow with a shavette. You should use short, but deliberate strokes and not be in a hurry to complete a pass. As you get more comfortable, the speed will come. As far as shaving the chin and under it, it can be tricky. For now, I would start under my mouth (top of chin) and shave downward. This is with the grain. To go around the curve of your chin to get to the upper neck, you have to swivel the blade. In other words, you have to gently turn the razor to follow the curve. I would suggest going to an Adventures in Wet Shaving youtube video. Eric Latta does 3 passes with a straight and you can see how he moves the blade to shave the chin. His video provides closeups from different angles as he shaves an area. After watching his videos, you will get an idea of how to shave your face. Just so you know, your beard may grow in a different direction than his so you may have to adjust accordingly.

PLANofMAN, Edison Carter and brit like this.