Boar - do you get 3 passes

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by dangermouse, Sep 12, 2016.

1. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

I have a Semogue 830. Whenever I use it, I struggle to get three good passes without reloading the brush. Is this common with all hair brushes; is just a boar issue or is it me?

I soak the brush, squeeze it then load the brush for 30 seconds. The first pass is great, there is always soap everywhere; the second pass is okay, not bad; the third pass is just thin and dire and barely makes it. I've tried adding a drop of water to eek out the last bit of soap but, of course, that makes the lather even thinner. I usually have to reload the brush for the third pass.

I've stopped rinsing between passes when I use this brush as it thins the lather too much. My synthetic doesn't have this issue. What's your experience?

Douglas Carey likes this.
  2. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I just take 2 passes anymore. I did notice similar things with my Omega 10066, but have not used it in several months. For me, it seemed to depend on the soap or cream. Face lathering CO Bigelow always gave me enough lather for many more than 3 passes with the boar bristle brush. If I have any hard soap sufficiently hydrated, I can get plenty of soap loaded and it is not an issue for me anyways.

I only use my RR Plissoft anymore.

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Never fail to get three passes full of great lather with any of my brushes - badger, boar, synthetic, nylon. All varying sizes, as well.
    Load the brush longer. Who made 30 seconds a rule?

4. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I never do three passes any more, but have plenty of lather left over after the second.

If you don't have enough lather, just hit the puck again for a few seconds. Not a big deal.

5. Mbg75

Mbg75 Well-Known Member

I use an omega boar. Enough lather for 3 passes and plenty left over for touch up. I face lather and use multiple brands of soap. What soap are you using? You may need to load it longer

Douglas Carey and dangermouse like this.
  6. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Yeah just load more to start.

I know we started this to save, but i have yet to finish all but about three. I wish they a little faster. USE MORE SOAP, i what i keep telling myself.

7. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Every brush I own takes a different time to load. My super dense badgers take the longest, as they tend to hold onto lather more.

I mainly build my lather on the puck, so loading time isn't as important, but what never changes is that I do not stop working until the brush is basically full of usable (or nearly there) lather.

I have a well broken in 830, and it is more than capable of giving me three passes and a touch up. Yours will seem to do better as you use it more.

The 830 is a fantastic brush, but needs a lot of use to become optimal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Thats true
    Love my Semogue but they took a while to get good

9. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I gave up on Semogue. Others love them. YMMV.

With an Omega boar, I easily get three passes.

RyX, Douglas Carey and dangermouse like this.
  10. DaveL

DaveL Active Member

I have 4 Semogue boar brushes and I've never had problems getting 3 passes. Use more product, load longer.

11. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

When I used a boar brush, I remember it took a couple of months before it really was broken in enough. Once they're really soft and lose a little backbone, they'll lather for three passes.

12. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Someone who doesn't get enough soap on their brush...;)

13. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

My SOC is definitely a lather hog, if it's not heavily loaded it seems to absorb it by the 3rd pass. I just make sure it's heavily loaded now.

14. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

I never get three passes with my Semouge. I reload. I tend to use it mainly for soaps. I use a badger hair for creams.
    I just keep re wetting it a bit and add soap between each pass.

15. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

:signs011:
    I load until loaded. :) If I determine that I need more soap I reload. Time is never an issue for me. YMMV.

16. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

:happy108:

dangermouse and Primotenore like this.
  17. GatorJoe

GatorJoe Well-Known Member

Sometimes I need to go to the puck more than other times. It doesn't bother me.

18. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

:signs011:

19. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

It's in the handbook! :happy069:

20. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Where can I get one? ;)