Boar - do you get 3 passes

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by dangermouse, Sep 12, 2016.

1. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

I loaded for longer -45 seconds rather than thirty. The thirty second rule isn't a rule; I wonder why I thought it was. It was a better tonight, the third pass was a little thin but I squeezed the brush and got loads out. I suppose experience tells you when you have your brush loaded with enough soap for three latherings. I like a good lathering :)

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I've never timed how long I load a brush.
    Loading for a set amount of time every time assumes you have exactly the same amount of water in the brush every time. Does anyone here measure their brush for water content? Didn't think so.
    I've learned what I like and what to look for to know if I need more water, more soap (read more time on the puck), or more air.

Hang in there, keep trying different things. You'll learn how to get what you like.

3. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I load my brushes until they are literally overloaded. No kidding. :happy088:

Douglas Carey and Spyder like this.
  4. swarden43

Yup.
    I always have enough lather for 4-5 passes.

Douglas Carey and dangermouse like this.
  5. drone115b

drone115b Active Member

Others have suggested that you spend some more time loading, but I wonder whether something else might be going on. Is your water extra hard? Does your brush need cleaning? Is it possible that you need to soak the brush longer? Shaving is a wonderful puzzle to solve because the reward is so... rewarding.

6. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Well said.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  7. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Would you happen to enjoy a little wine while you are getting loaded, I mean loading your brush. :happy097:
    Well I thought it was funny anyway. :)

dscaver, dangermouse and Primotenore like this.
  8. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I have had several boars and have never had an issue nor have I ever timed it. In the grand scheme of things, even with the most expensive soap, this discussion comes down to a matter of pennies. I'd rather overload every single time and burn up a soap a few days earlier than to hold to a specific metered rate and have zero concerns for running out of lather than to run out.

I rarely do more than 3 passes and still hold to this idea. Even after a third pass there is a crap ton of lather I squeeze out when I rinse my brushes no matter the bristle/hair type.

Sometimes overthinking it is just an exercise in overthinking ;)

swarden43 and Douglas Carey like this.
  9. Primotenore

Article Team
    Marine humor?
    :happy097:

10. dangermouse

Ooh no. Super clean brush (always) and super soft water. I might try soaking the brush longer though. Thanks for your suggestions. I'll try a long soak tomorrow.

11. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

I have a Semogue OC boar, cant say I like much, I love boar brushes, normally it just seems to hog more lather than my other brands (except the Zenith which is similar imho)
    Omega is my favourite the Pro is a dam good brush and cheap enough, and most certainly big enough.

12. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Or an attempt at humor! :)

Primotenore and dangermouse like this.
  13. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

If I need more I load more. I don't put too much thought into it. I use to overanalyze every aspect of my shave routine, and that sapped some joy out of shaving.
    That said;
    Some of my boars hold more lather than others. I use boars about 95% of the time.
    All of my boars are lather hogs, and I don't use them for creams. They will use 2-3 times more cream than a badger brush.

dangermouse and Douglas Carey like this.
  14. swarden43

I doubt that will do anything, but you can certainly try. I soak all my brushes for only about 3-4 minutes - the time it takes me to finish drying after my shower and combing my hair. Just load longer.

And to those who say badgers and synthetics don't need to soak, you're absolutely right. I soak them to warm them up. A hot brush lends to warm lather.

15. Primotenore

Article Team
    I joke as I tip back a Wild Turkey 101 and a Coors. :)

twhite and Douglas Carey like this.
  16. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Haven't had a Wild Turkey in a long time. I like your refined sense of humor. :happy088:

twhite and Primotenore like this.
  17. Primotenore

Article Team
    Some may refer to it as "sloppy" :happy097:

18. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Gotta admit, I always make more than I need

19. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Try an Omega 20102 brush for a few weeks, and report back :)

20. dangermouse

Nah, soaking the brush for longer makes no difference at all. I'm looking for some new brushes that have a smaller diameter base. The hunt begins.