Boar - do you get 3 passes

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by dangermouse, Sep 12, 2016.

1. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

So you went from loading for 30 seconds to loading for 45 and noticed an improvement. How ' bout loading for 60, or even 75 seconds?
    Not trying to prevent you from buying a new brush, but if you can't get loading the brush you have, you may very well have the same issues with a new brush. Then starts the issue of placing blame on the wrong thing and not the real problem. It comes down to what I say in my sig line - you just gotta learn how to use the tools ya got.

2. Crowne & Crane

Crowne & Crane Well-Known Member

It's the brush not you. My Semogue brushes require a longer load, than say a synthetic, to get the same amount of lather. Being a boar brush, it's not surprising that it has a tendency to"hog" lather. :D However, if you run low on lather during a shave, the fix is very simple, just give it a few more swirls on the soap/croap/cream.

Robyflexx and Douglas Carey like this.
  3. swarden43

So you're saying if it takes longer to load a brush, it's a faulty brush, so toss the brush?

Douglas Carey likes this.
  4. swarden43

All I'm saying is just what you're saying - if you find you're running low on lather, load the brush longer (your words, "give it a few more swirls on the soap...). I'm just recommending those extra swirls at the beginning of, not during the shave.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  5. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

When I was a kid my dad taught me to build lather right off of the puck. I do something similar to this:

When I went back to soap and brush, and eventually found forums, I guess I never really understood all the talk about "loading" a brush. I tried different ways discussed, but eventually went back to the way I learned 30+ years ago. It also takes out all the guesswork. When a brush is ready to go to the face or the bowl, it's ready. Doesn't matter whether a boar, badger or synthetic, the result is the same. It also means plenty of lather even with small brushes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

swarden43 likes this.
  6. swarden43

Excellent, "when it's ready, it's ready." :happy088::happy088:

7. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

That'a a very good video. It looked like a lot more work than I normally put. I love that there is always something else to learn. This is a great hobby, rather than the chore it used to be for many years of my life. Nice one guys and girls.

Robyflexx likes this.
  8. dangermouse

The Semogue is the only brush that I really have this 'problem' with, although it isn't really a problem; I've always added a little more soap after the second pass. I have been loading for longer and it is a bit better. The 30 second thing came about because that's about how long my synthetic takes to build a load of lather. I honestly don't time myself. I know boar and synthetics are going to load differently but I just wondered if it was a common issue with a boar brush.

Buying a new brush isn't anything to do with this issue; I inadvertently seem to have confused the issue. I find the circumference of the Semogue 830 a little big to be completely comfortable in my hand.

9. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    My experience is exactly the same with the Semogue 830.

dangermouse likes this.
  10. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

I usually get three passes worth of lather from my Omega 50014 boar travel brush. A little lather machine it is. Sometimes I will relather for the third pass, but not often. For $14, it is a bargain for what you get.

dangermouse likes this.
  11. Crowne & Crane

Crowne & Crane Well-Known Member

Another contributing factor that I didn't mention earlier is -- the soap. Do you not get three passes with the Semogue 830 with all soaps or just the soap you were using? I ask because today (because of your question) I loaded some of our soap for 15 seconds using a Semogue 830 and easily had enough lather for 3 passes plus a touch up pass. Although, it's true that I didn't have as much extra lather as when I use a Plisson-type synthetic or one of my non-hogging badgers.

dangermouse likes this.
  12. drone115b

drone115b Active Member

I'm sorry that none of the suggestions have been a help; but don't you mean to look for a brush with a large knot size? My experience has been that the larger diameters load more soap.

Is that consistent with others' experience?

dangermouse likes this.
  13. drone115b

drone115b Active Member

I have a similar experience: with my Plissoft from Razorock, I find I bloom hard pucks to be able to load the brush properly. I never really needed to do that when I was using boars exclusively.

14. dangermouse

In that case, I think it might be my Semogue 830. Tonight, I loaded the brush for ages, just like the video in post #45. To look at the brush, you would think there would be enough soap to face lather the 8th Army, but it was poor third pass again. Enough to get a third pass but really quite poor.

15. PickledNorthern

My 830 took forever to break in. It might be worth just lathering it for break in while you use another brush.

Kind of a lot of screwing around, but the whole brush and lather thing is my favorite part of shaving so I like to mess around with it.

dangermouse likes this.
  16. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

My semogue boar took about 45 days to break in well. After about 30 it started loading better. I have a homemade 12mm boar brush that holds 3 passes of lather but it took a long while to break in to holding that much. My synthetic brushes take a fraction of the load time to give me the same lather amounts. That being said I normally only load what I need for 2 passes. The third pass is only for special date nights.

PickledNorthern and dangermouse like this.
  17. The Wizard

The Wizard Active Member

I've just invested in a Semogue 610 after I'd had a bad time with Taylor's badger brushes shedding hairs. Not tried it out yet as it's a Christmas present ordered early but I've taken it out of the box today and immediately noticed how stiff and coarse it felt. I'm looking for a stiffer knot as I believe it will stand up to more aggressive lathering and face lathering and I've been told that over time it will soften up.

I've read that boar (over time) can feel as good as a silvertip but takes time to break in and soften up buy once it does it's a dream to use. I opted for the 610 because it's not dyed to look like a badger brush so has a more natural look and the acrylic handle means, unlike wood, it won't perish and split and chip after being submerged in water over time. Have to say, first impressions are it feels a very comfortable brush. Just hope it hold up longer than my badger which seems to be suffering from a case of alopecia.

Only real concern is, I use creams not soaps and I think boar tends to be more suitable for pucks rather than cream. Maybe someone can enlighten me further on using boar with creams.

18. dangermouse

I don't think it makes any difference to be honest. If it lathers soap, it will definitely lather cream. I've used my 830 with cream it was great. Enjoy your new brush. Happy Christmas :)

The Wizard likes this.
  19. swarden43

There is no such thing as a "soap" brush or a "cream" brush or a "face lathering" brush or a "bowl lathering" brush, only Personal Preference brushes. Use what you want with what you want and how you want.

dangermouse and PickledNorthern like this.
  20. PickledNorthern

Absolutely what he said. ^^^ I have soft silvertips that will load any soap, hard or soft, and boars work for anything once they are broken in.

Have fun with it, that Semogue is a great brush.

The Wizard and Robyflexx like this.