Boar or Silvertip? ?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Pop Pops Razor, Jun 11, 2014.

?

One or the Other?

1. Boar

53.1%
  2. Silvertip

46.9%
  1. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

It depends on which silvertip brush and which boar brush. I began traditional wetshaving by going into a brick-and-mortar store that carried brushes. IMHO, the silvertips are the best with their cloud soft tips. They also had sky high prices. The Whipped Dog silvertips are certainly priced right and seem to get positive reviews. If I had to start over again, I would almost certainly get one.

Omega boar brushes are very good. After using one for the first time, I realized that I could have got one of those instead of a badger and done just as well. IMHO, they are just as good as any badger brush short of a silvertip, and cost much less. That is not to say the boar brushes are the same as badger brushes, but with a lower price tag. The boar has much more backbone. It is just as much as a pleasure to shave with, however.

If you have a cutlery store that also sells brushes or an Art of Shaving store near you, why not go in and check out the brushes? You can get a better idea about which one you might prefer.

All in my humble opinion.

2. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

What size WD do you have. Is it deep set? I'm about ready to order a 30mm deep set Silvertip.

3. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

It has to be better than the Cheap Boar Brush that I have.

4. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

My WD howls at the moon.

ObiDon likes this.
  5. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I have a 26/45 View attachment 50328

6. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

mine is 26/45 20140612_064820.jpg

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
    ObiDon likes this.
  7. After getting to experience both... There is nothing like a nice Silvertip

tuxxdk likes this.
  8. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

mine is 26/45 View attachment 50329 [/quote]
    That looks great! I may go with a 24/45. I lather in a VDH mug and worry the 30/45 may be to big.

9. Ceferguson

Ceferguson Well-Known Member

High mountain silvertip

10. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

11. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

?

GDCarrington likes this.
  12. Doryferon

13. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Generally speaking I'd say boar but a good two band is a very nice knot. I think I'd pass on silver tip unless it was a Shavemac DO1 3 band.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
    Boojum1, Omelmad and GDCarrington like this.
  14. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

15. Doryferon

Sexy Pinky -> Beautiful Boar brush.

16. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I use both boars & silver tip badgers in rotation.
    My boars are not pricey; then again, my Silvertips are not the most expensive models, either.
    BUT I do enjoy using all 5 or six brushes in my current rotation. I used my Omega 49 last night—probably one of the most inexpensive boar brushes one can find—and I loved the way it developed lather and generously applied it to my face. Soft tips (not as soft as the silvertips) and enough backbone to do the job.

I'm one of those wet-shavers who chooses to not spend the lion's share of my shaving budget on brushes. I appreciate the look and feel of the elegant Simpsons and Morris & Forndrans I've been privileged to use/borrow, but I prefer to invest my moolah in software (soaps) and razors. YMMV. ;)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
    Boojum1 and maltedmilk like this.
  17. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

I chose Boar over Silvertip mainly because I think boars are more versatile, whereas my silvertips take forever and a day with hard soaps. Of the badgers I prefer the finest and pure grades, or boar-badger mixes, due to their versatility. My Rooney 2XL silvertip is super soft, but it is largely a cream and croap brush IMHO.

18. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

I prefer boar. Once broken in they feel better on my skin.

Boojum1 likes this.
  19. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

I have a Shavemac 177 that I splurged on in a moment of weakness while suffering from AD. Turns out to be one of my favorite things. Right up there with my grandmothers cast iron cornbread skillet. That brush has never lost a hair, and was the perfect blend of softness and backbone. It's not the best with soaps, but I mostly use creams anyway. When I feel like using a soap I have an Omega boar. I can see myself passing that Shavemac down to my son and him passing it down to his son. I know this brush isn't for everyone, but if you ever get the chance to treat yourself I highly recommend it.

JRod22 likes this.
  20. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

That would be BOAR and BADGER. Both for sure BUT in that order. ;)