Boosters - scents

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by jramire2, Jul 10, 2007.

1. jramire2

jramire2 Member

Alright, I'm blaming this on Doc. Before I picked up Docs excellent grab bag of goodies, the only alcohol based asb I had was a bottle of pinaud bay rum. For days when I felt like a little pain to wake up in the morning, more like a lot of pain actually.

Well, in Docs grab bag, I got decants of four different boosters aftershaves, polar ice, aquarius, mosswood and bay rum. I've been using them daily since I got them last week and I've already seen a pretty good improvement in my skin, and they're not as drying as some aftershaves I've used in the past.

Of the scents I got, I like the Polar Ice and the Aquarius best. The bay rum I don't mind, but prefer pinaud, and the mosswood I could live without. But since I'm having trouble accessing the TBS website (the only source of booster aftershaves that I know of), I don't know what other scents they have.

I know they have an iced lime, which I definitely want to get, but what other scents do they have, and where can I get 'em?

On a different note, I also picked up some Caswell Massey Balms, and they are also very very good so far (almond and sandalwood scents). They're loaded w/good stuff (jojoba among other things), but also a few things some people won't like (FIVE different parabens). But overall I'm very happy w/them as well. So for days where my skin feels a bit dry after a splash, I'll put on a little CM for some moisture.

2. Xert

Xert New Member

There's also a Lilac...

Give them a shout at tbbs.ca for your next supply.

3. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Josh - In addition to the varieties you have there is:

Lilac
    Spice Orient
    June Clover
    Iced Lime
    MossWood

I have the Iced Lime & Spice Orient (and the same ones you have). They are all very nice.

May I recommend that you try the Master's line of aftershaves. They are more mild than Pinaud, include glycerin, and seem quite skin-friendly. Not to mention they are widely available in the U.S.

4. Will

Will Nevermind

Absolute must on the Masters Bay Rum!

5. jramire2

jramire2 Member

I don't see booster products listed on this site.

I was going to disagree, but it was actually the dominica bay rum that I tried and didn't care for.

I'm actually pretty satisfied with my pinaud bay rum, but was looking for more summery scents, say a lime or an aftershave w/a significant citrus base. So far, I'm not finding a masters lime aftershave.

How about lucky tiger? I don't think they have a lime either, but the barber I go to (who will shave you w/a str8 btw) sells LT and Jeris aftershaves.

6. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Master "Challenge" is quite citrusy

The Iced Lime, by the way, smells exactly like JM Fraser Shave Cream

7. jramire2

jramire2 Member

That's a good thing, at least for me. I like the subtle lemony scent that frasers has. How about a "dry" lime aftershave, and by that I mean a lime but not sweet key lime, scent. Anything like that out there?

8. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Absolutely -> The Royall Lyme fits that description to a "T" .......however, its a little bit "harder" than Master/Booster.......you might get some sting & burn with it ;)

9. jramire2

jramire2 Member

If this is it, I think Royall Lime's a bit out of my price range.

But if you're saying that Masters makes a lime scent named Royall Lime I'll be all over it.

10. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

That's the stuff. They also have a 4oz version, which is obviously cheaper.

You're getting what you pay for. Its excellent stuff:

[​IMG]

11. jramire2

jramire2 Member

Any other cheaper alternatives out there than royall lime?

12. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Up until now, I have only been recommending stuff that I have used....but since you are reaching, I'll pull one last trick out (though I can't vouch for it):

1) Gabel's Lime Aftershave -> $4.50 for 16oz.

I have Gabel's Bay Rum, its very good, mild, and kind to the skin.

2) Stephan's Island lime Aftershave -> $4.95 for 15oz.

I have Stephan Bay Rum, Stephan 320 Astringtent, and Stephan Alpine Menthol. These are superb, (also mild, with skin-friendly ingredients) especially the 320 and the Alpine Menthol. The Bay Rum is much like Master or Gabel's, with slightly different chemical makeup.

13. jramire2

jramire2 Member

looks like i'll be putting in an order at appletonbarbersupply.com

So far, they're the only online store I've found that carries gabels, stephan, and masters. Not to mention clubman, jeris and lucky tiger, including some I've never seen before (clubman dragon noir), and they've got a new clubman complete aftershave (comes in a tube) that contains caffeine to help tighten up the skin.

There are soo many to choose from. ....not good.:D

14. jramire2

jramire2 Member

I got lucky and found some Masters locally this weekend. Picked up a bottle of Bay Rum and the Musk scent. The bay rum's good. I won't be letting go of my pinaud anytime soon, but when I feel like a good bay rum, sans the burn, I'll be reaching for this stuff.

I also came across some Jeris, and some Black Magic aftershaves. But I have a question. I found that a lot of these aftershaves have Boric Acid as an ingredient. What's this for, and should I avoid stuff w/this ingredient?

15. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Killing ants, spiders and roaches. :D

16. jramire2

jramire2 Member

Well, this stuff's a pretty common ingredient in aftershaves. I just read the new review for Stephans aftershave from TraderJoe and saw that boric acid was listed in that brand as well.

I'm surprised that Joe picked the Stephans up if boric acid really isn't good for the skin/body, considering he's pretty finicky about parabens and such.

17. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

You never know what Joe is going to do under the influence of Aqua Velva. :D

18. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Boric acid (powdered or otherwise) will serve a few purposes in skincare products:

1) mild antiseptic
    2) preservative
    3) PH balancing

I have seen boric acid and/or borax in a number of "healthy", "natural" products....including Burt's Bees facial moisturizers, etc.

Boric acid is as safe as table salt ;)*

This is very true ::

*Note: I am not a licensed chemist, nutritionist, or haz-mat expert. My comments are merely opinions based on acquired knowledge and should be taken with caution.

19. jramire2

jramire2 Member

That is freakin' hillarious :rofl

OK then, so how come boric acid can be used to kill insects?

Also, I read that boric acid is safe, PROVIDED, that you don't ingest it. So, provided nobody mistakes a bottle of Jeris for Scope, I think most of us are ok. But those of you w/poor eyesight, use caution. :rofl

20. Xert

Xert New Member

They're not listed since it's a new site, but they most definitely have them.