BornSharp: The world's first smart razor?

Discussion in 'Articles' started by PLANofMAN, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Not Telling

Not Telling Member

It's like the developers and their advocates have said elsewhere, traditional gourmet shaving aficionados like most of us here aren't the target market for the gizmo in question. I could go out and purchase three of them at the stated price point this afternoon but I wouldn't - ever, because it's non-traditional. Other guys who aren't into adrenalin shaving might scrape and save for six months to purchase one as a way to minimise their ecological footprint or as a long-term money-saving measure. I can't see it ever being something an affluent guy could boast about.

The only reason it's mentioned here at all is because it's similar in concept to what the Rolls, Darwin and others were trying to acheive 60 years ago.

I admire the design aspects, but it lacks the nostalgic elements of cool.

Good luck to the developer though, it's refeshing to see a toatally new concept out there even if it's not the Gillette-breaker some of us would hope for.

Thanks for the walthrough PofM, I'll watch this product with a morbid curiosity.

macaronus likes this.
  2. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

Fair enough, to the shavers to whom this type of system appeals , I truly hope it lives up to their expectations.
    Perhaps someone has finally built a better mouse trap.

3. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

PLANofMAN, that is an excellent review. Thank you very much for that!

The old school aspect of wetshaving seems to be a draw for quite a few people. Perhaps it is because "old school" reminds folks of a time when even common, everyday items were made to last forever. Cost seems to be an even greater draw. I have lost count of the times I have read posts stating cost savings as a primary reason for turning to traditional wetshaving. Although this inevitably draws a bunch of "yeah right. That's what I thought, too, before I bought 300 razors and 500 cakes of shave soap. ;)" responses, most individuals can, and likely do, save a substantial sum with traditional shaving. How many people in the real world do you know with 300 razors and 500 cakes of soap? Out of all the people I have met in my life, I know of exactly zero.

There are still a lot of folks who are hard pressed for cash. Getting luxury on the cheap is a fine proposition even in the best of times. Given that cost is the primary motivation for the move to traditional wetshaving, the cons of a proprietary blade system and very high initial entry price are likely to be deal killers. That being said, I do wish Steve Worthington and company the best of luck and success with their product.

4. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Thanks for the review Ryan...Very interesting and I too wish Mr Worthington much success...It's refreshing to see people striving to offer something good and in there audiences best interest.

At this point, I am so into the razors I'm using now, I'm not interested in investing in anything other that a stock-pile of GEM SS blades...;) I know that sounds boring but an EverReady 1914 or 1924 represent everthing I love about this hobby... It's so much more than just getting a great shave...;)

PLANofMAN and Cool Breeze like this.
  5. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

Hey...the flux capacitor worked though! ;)

6. Marillonaire

Marillonaire Member

Great article, business is always changing, but it has to be agile. This type of product is fixed and I like a choice. That's why I have a Den.

7. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I figured you guys might like to see this email that Mr. Worthington sent me after I wrote the article.

"I am writing to thank you for your very fair, detailed and balanced article. We do very much appreciate your time and effort. The questions you posed to us a dedicated wet shaver are exactly the kind of dialog we want to be having. As we talked about, what we really want out of this campaign is to get feedback to make the best product we can.
    Your efforts here are helping us do just that. As discussed, I do like your idea regarding adjustable gap and am open to all other suggestions.

Take care and have a great Thanksgiving.

Steve"

macaronus and Williams Warrior like this.
  8. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

Interesting article. I use a double edge Gillette Safety razor that I have had for ever. I'd buy a new one but they don't make them any more. And what the do make today is garbage.

macaronus likes this.
  9. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Must be a cultural thing, 'cause to me you're not rude, only affectionate. Please don't hold back the thoughts and ideas in fear of offending someone when you're clearly not. Affectionate is good for great discussions, political correctness is not.

On topic, your thoughts reflects mine as well.

macaronus likes this.
  10. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

Speaking of innovative new razors, what is the word on the Huntlee? I heard and read alot for a while then nothing.
    I believe the last word was after the new year.

11. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

An interesting post Ryan, so first off I'de say Thanks for that. :happy088:

For me the biggest appeal of traditional shaving has really always been the simplicity and the the efficacy. Basically it's always just worked so well for me that I've never been able to justify the leap to some more modern/contemporary/progressive (yadda yadda) design or system or whatever the marketing boys want to call it. I suppose the "keep it simple stupid" mantra just applies for me, and possibly on more than one level as well! :signs001:

[​IMG]

:signs136:

Cool Breeze likes this.
  12. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

^ That's funny!

13. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

I Would be willing to bet the "developers and advocates" would gladly sell to anyone willing to shell out the clams. Not a bad idea, I just dont think it will ever take off. Now the Huntlee, thats a simple, no moving parts, old school appeal, good idea that WILL sell.
    Besides, the developers and advocates will need to target a much larger group if they hope to sell enough of thease high priced razors to keep the doors open.
    In an old school consumer based group, to pretend they only target the few is buisness suicide.
    Just stating out loud my honest opinion, for what its worth.

14. joshkamradt

joshkamradt Member

That is areally cool razor but only a dream fo me lol

15. Thatdonkey

Thatdonkey Member

Bro
    Browsing this post I saw your avatar and figured ya had to be an old salt with Chesty's picture. Felt compelled to give you a Semper Fi.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  16. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Phil from Bulgoose stated that it would have costed over $300 a peice. They are going to redesign it. I hope it works out.

17. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

Thanks for the update, I've been looking for info forever.
    As bad as I want one, I wont pay that much.
    I would be willing to pay as much as I would for any other quality piece, EJ, Merkur etc.

18. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

Semper Fi to you too OOH RAH it's a Marine Thing!

19. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

So did they get funded for the razor?
    Not something I would ever buy myself but I admire anyone who has the passion/drive to create something different.

20. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

Odd, this is what I thought of when I read the article.

[​IMG]

PatrickA51 likes this.