Bottom Dial Fatboy

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by kfbrady, Sep 28, 2018.

1. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

Does anyone have a spare $2,600?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not cheap but that's only half as much as the tooth implant I just had done! :(

2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I'll take two!

stuartganis likes this.
  3. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

Here's a better deal, I would buy it if the shipping wasn't so expensive. [​IMG]

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

Frijolero and RyX like this.
  4. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Won't shave any better than my Fat Boys. :)

stuartganis and RyX like this.
  5. RyX

RyX DoH!

Bottom Dials are rare enough that I don't recall seeing a SOTD or read a shave report. Makes me wonder if all the owners are speculative investors. Just being rare doesn't make it good. Gillette didn't choose the design to move forward for the majority of Fat Boys, or carry through with Slims & Black Beauties.

I've even about given up on Toggle Quest. The issues they encountered with them brought about the redesign that became the Fat Boy. Except for low production numbers causing rarity there's no reason for the prices.

jtspartan, stuartganis and Frijolero like this.
  6. Timwcic

Timwcic Well-Known Member

My SOTD from earlier in the year. My BD comes out usually around New Year's Day. Great way to start off the year. Found in the wild.

21AF50AB-EA0F-4AAC-8B01-E77784533080-17088-00000F01858BDF93.jpeg

preidy, Jorvaljr, jtspartan and 8 others like this.
  7. RyX

RyX DoH!

I will in the future state "I hardly never see.."

How does it shave? Is that the reason you use it sparingly? Did you get a good deal - was it priced as an old razor, or as a collectors item?

8. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

I don't believe anyone buys theses items for how well they shave.

It's all about rarity and supply and demand. I'm not really a collector so if I had one I'd definitely shave with it...but I'd also take very good care of it!

9. Timwcic

Timwcic Well-Known Member

Thanks for asking. I shave 95% of the time with a straight. I use it as well as other SE and DE razors for the joy of using them. Except a 2011 R41, most all are vintage or antiques. The BD IMHO, shave no differently than a Fat or Toggle but the extra weight is a plus. It came from a house clean-out sale priced as junk. If I did not buy it would have been thrown in a dumpster never to be seen again.

TestDepth, Enrico, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  10. RyX

RyX DoH!

Fortune & Chance aligned to place it in your hands. Glad it found a good home!

I saw a BD go for $1000+ at an auction site that gets their products through donations. Considering the average ebay price, I kind of hope the donator didn't see what it sold for. At least they didn't throw it away!

Closest I've come to a similar scenario - Found an E-4 Fat Boy at an estate sale. When I visit one of them I make a beeline to the bathrooms looking for grungy old shave gear. This one was priced at give away, and cleaned up / shaved great.