Bottom Lip technique

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by JRod22, Apr 7, 2013.

?

Do you shave under your bottom lip WTG or ATG on your first pass?

1. WTG

100.0%
  2. ATG

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

Do you guys shave down (WTG) under your bottom lip or up (ATG). In doing research on the traditional barber's 14 step straight razor shave I realized the this section is typically done ATG. Or at least it used to be. Just curious if any one does in fact shave this patch ATG on the first pass.

When I first switched to wet shaving I used to get irritation in this area a lot, but haven't in a long time, may have to try this out and see how it goes.

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

First pass with. Never any irritation.

JRod22 likes this.
  3. Asd

Asd Well-Known Member

First pass diagonally down from sides of the jaw to the chin. Second from sides to the centerline, a little upward. Third is diagonally upward, almost ATG in buffing manner, the blade is almost flat on the face. It took me months to figure out that sequence, but for me it works fine.

4. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I found it best to just grow a "soul patch". So I only have to shave a little bit on each corner of my bottom lip...:)

JRod22 likes this.
  5. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

My first pass is WTG down. Second pass is probably strange but I stick my tongue in the bottom lip makes the hair stick out for Across the grain (left). Don't need anymore passes for the area or clean up.

6. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

With a goatee, I don't often shave my lower lip. But, when I do, it's across the grain so as to avoid (possibly) nicking my lip.

7. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Not much help from my end as I haven't shaved under my lip since late 2005.

8. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

My whiskers grow pretty straight out right there so there's not much of a grain. I wish more of my face was like that. I usually go N-S on the first pass, E-W on the 2nd, and W-E on the 3rd and it's good.

9. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

WTG first pass, XTG 2nd, and 3rd pass XTG opposite direction.