Bought my first synthetic.......

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Rib, May 21, 2018.

1. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I have to second this. I think it they are the closest thing to feeling like a real badger of anything out there. Like a 3 Band Silvertip with some real backbone. My only recommendation is not to try the Classic as an inexpensive way to check them out. It is a very small diameter knot, and is way too hard to splay. The Duke is a great brush, as well as the Chubby.

[​IMG]

Also, that Simfix brush is not the same fiber.

Enrico, Rhody and Latherin’ Luddite like this.
  2. Latherin’ Luddite

Latherin’ Luddite Well-Known Member

I'll pile a third vote for the Simpson Chubby 2 Synthetic. Enough "brush guys" sang its praises that I had to find out for myself. They were/are correct!

BTW my Classic 1 Best Badger is a lather building little dude. I wasn't aware it was offered in Synthetic.

3. Rhody

Rhody Well-Known Member

Simpson seems to have so many handle types can you recommend a synth with a larger handle? The chubby seems too snall.

4. Latherin’ Luddite

The Simpson Chubby Synthetic is a “2” which isn’t too small IMO. For non-Simpson synthetics, the Stirling Tuxedo and RazoRock 400 Aluminium are both large and comfortable.

5. Rhody

Rhody Well-Known Member

i see the rave reviews so I am so tempted. the 2" would be a gamble for me and im not sure its worth that premium for a synth ....

6. Rhody

Rhody Well-Known Member

what is the difference between the duke 3 and the chubby?
    so hard to tell

Linuxguile likes this.
  7. Latherin’ Luddite

Other than a few mm’s here or there, I believe it’s mostly density.............with the Chubby having the most.

Given the huge selection of synthetics on the market (and for cheap) I wouldn’t spend your money on a Simpson unless it really calls your name. I love mine, but also love most of my cheaper ones. I’m not a full-time face lathered though.

Linuxguile and Rhody like this.
  8. Rhody

Rhody Well-Known Member

thanks appreciate the honest feedback ... so much to want to buy .... lol ... but your right about feeling the full on press ... versus just being interested.

9. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Where is the best place to purchase the synthetic Chubby?

10. Rhody

Rhody Well-Known Member

Not sure since i didn't buy but i was !ooking on
    The superior shave
    I might buy one of their house brand synth. Made in Germany by a famous company but no name.
    Anyone familiar with these?

Enrico likes this.
  11. Latherin’ Luddite

I bought mine from Straight Razor Designs, but I just checked the website and he only has Best and Super Badger Chubbies right now.

Superior Shave would be a good bet though.

Enrico likes this.
  12. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I ordered mine directly from Simpson's, but I wanted something other then ivory or butterscotch. Gifts and Care has them in ivory and shipping is actually no more then if you had ordered from a US vendor.

Enrico likes this.