Bowl Size

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by fishcrow, Jan 11, 2012.

1. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

There has been discussion about shaving bowls being big enough. What is the optimal bowl size to lather with?
    How deep would be the optimal depth? How wide would be the optimal width?

Does improper sized bowl affect the how good the lather will be?

2. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I know too small is not conducive for a good lather build. My daughter was trying to make SC in a shave mug and having a helluva time getting good lather. I let her have my shave bowl and now she's a pro.

As far as optimal, that's gonna vary depending on individual sizes and tastes.

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I agree with Bob. It can't be too small, or too large, or too deep, or two shallow. I've seen a few bowls posted on the SOSOTD and I've seen some that I just know wouldn't work for me, but obviously work for their owner.

It's like anything else with this hobby, just gotta find what works for you. And to me, that's one of the things that keeps it interesting and fun.

4. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Hell I've used my canteen cup in a pinch LOL. Not easy or fun, but it worked after some coaxing.

[​IMG]

alpla444 likes this.
  5. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

And rinsing before using for its most used purpose! ;)

6. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

When I used a bowl I just went with a standard sized cereal bowl out of the cupboard, and it worked well.

battle.munky likes this.
  7. Neolithium

From a bowl perspective, I like the plastic cereal bowls with the very slight texture on the inside. MAN you can whip some lather up quick and thick in those puppies. Not pretty, but hey, you're standing in a room with a toilet. How pretty do you want it? :p And yes I do clean out the canteen cup when I use it ;) It's multipurpose. Coffee, Shaving, Sink for brushing teeth, soup cup, juice holder....

8. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

As Bob says each to there own, also depends on what brush I be using as my BK12 and Omega 10275 are like worlds apart but both fantastic for me:), by Becker scuttle seems perfect in size, (granted its not a bowl) but very close

9. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

This is my coveted bowl, a breakfast cereal bowl which helped earn a ban at another forum as well as a free brush and other various discounts; total price $.50 from Goodwill... best shaving investment I have ever made haha. rr4.jpg

Johnny, fishcrow and battle.munky like this.
  10. battle.munky

Stickin' it to da man! I'll stick up for my Goodwill bowl too Aaron. I love mine. It was $2 though but a steal none the less.

Sodapopjones likes this.
  11. Sodapopjones

I taught Tony at TGN/Penchetta how to bowl lather with that bowl and whats funny is he was like "It has no ridges"?! lol

Bob my bowl is plain old plastic though, is yours a ceramic?

alpla444 likes this.
  12. battle.munky

Yeah, it's heavy handmade pottery. The bowl actually looks like a piece someone made but wasn't happy with the glazing because it doesn't coat the entire bottom of the bowl. So the Goodwill Store ended up withit. It weighs about 3 lbs and barely floats.

13. Williams Warrior

Mine was/is plastic as well, and no ridges or texture either. Banned for using a plastic bowl?:signs002:

14. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

I never thought about using a cereal bowl great idea.

Sodapopjones likes this.
  15. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Ridges are better in a bowl as it makes a lather quicker, but your paying alot more to save a 1-2 mins per shave, :) size is more important if your happy with it Bingo!! dont matter if its a cereal bowl. Before I had my scuttle I was using and old tupper ware bowl, that the GF was going to throw out I used it for over a year now it stores my creams that are in rotation:)

16. Neolithium

How do you get banned for using a bowl? LOL I must be missing something.

alpla444 likes this.
  17. Sodapopjones

Because the contents of said bowl were better than that of other manufacturers at that time, I will let you figure that one out.

18. Williams Warrior

It doesn't take much to get in trouble some places.

19. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

I want to the cupboard this morning chose blue cereal bowl. I decided to experiment with the blue bowl for this morning's lathering. For the experiment I chose Razorock Artisan. The deeper bowl definitely made lathering easier. I used a small chunk of soap, I whipped mounds of lather. The quality of lather was excellent.

In conclusion I will use the cereal bowl to lather with. The great thing about wet shaving you can tweak your shave by adding say cereal bowl, make an improvement.The great part of being a member of the Den is that you can post a question, get insight into something you never thought of using. The cereal bowl was a great idea thanks.

Sodapopjones and CyanideMetal like this.
  20. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

This is my lather bowl. It's a dog bowl. No Joke.

It has an anti slip rubber bottom that's great. Now, let the name calling and laughter begin...

31KAEF3JpRL__SL500_AA300_.jpg

Latherman87 likes this.