Brand new to this hobby: Gillette super speed - just bought one

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Dr. Fitness, May 3, 2009.

1. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Welcome to the show... We are all enablers here so if you need help just yell.:D

2. Dr. Fitness

Dr. Fitness New Member

thanks so much. thank you everyone for all your help. I'm going to get a badger brush today and then research lather (soap)?

3. Dr. Fitness

Dr. Fitness New Member

trust me. i CAN"T get another hobby. My wife would kill me. I already collect Japanese high end wrist watches, detective pulp paper backs from the 1950's. and Itailain switchblades.

no, I have one SS and I'm just gonna get some shave gear (brush, lather stuff) and that's IT.

However, the SS that I see on ebay that are minty and come with original packing are SWEET!

4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

You don't have a SS that is a adjustable.. you NEED a SS though.,. so get the one off the bay.... <see how that works...:D>

5. Dr. Fitness

Dr. Fitness New Member

I'm not sure I understand. I think I own a super speed adjustable. It's a Gillette marked f4. Is this called something else?

6. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

I like to err on the side of handing out to much infromation since that's not a bad thing. Badgers come in three different varieties: badger, best badger and silvertip badger. The badger is the base model and has the lowest quality and will cost the least. They also differ in knot size, the amount of bristles stuck into the handle. Larger the knot size the bigger the head.

The most popular soaps tend to be Williams, Van Der Hagen (VDH) and Tabac of which the first two can be had a local drug stores. Tabac you will have to order on-line.

7. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

super speeds do not come in an adjustable version. If its a super speed its not adjustable - if its adjustable is not a super speed.

8. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Yes it is different.. Probably a fat boy. The Super Speed is a non- adjustable twist to open (tto).

9. Dr. Fitness

Dr. Fitness New Member

copy that.

10. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Please describe the razor a bit more so that forum members can tell you what you are holding. What color is the handle - silver, black or gold? Are there patterns on the handle? Please decribe the patterns if there are any. Another way to do this is to go to translate.google.com and translate a web site mr-razor.com from german to english then click on razors and explore the different types and see if you can see your razor looking back at you.

11. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

12. Dr. Fitness

Dr. Fitness New Member

My Razor:

Gillette. stamped F4. have adjustable dial at top with #1-9. handle all silver. no colored handle at bottom (I have seen someone's sticky post above with pictures of all the Gillette's)

13. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Just to add a visual for you:

This is a Super Speed:
    [​IMG]

This is a Fatboy:
    [​IMG]

14. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Welcome to The Shave Den, Dr. Fitness!

Don't forget to sign up for the May Newbie Give-Away! Link in my signature.

Yes, most locally available shaving creams come in a tube, but not all. And not all quality creams come in a tube.

Whoa! You all trying to confuse the poor guy? Boar being called Board once is one thing, but twice in this thread?? :confused:

Ummm.....no. There is Super, Finest, Silvertip, High Mountain White, and others I can't think of right now.

While those are popular, I would only say Tabac is one of the most popular.

That site is in English if I recall correctly.

15. Dr. Fitness

Dr. Fitness New Member

yeah, my razor is a fat boy. looks like the handle of the SS is longer. Is this true?

16. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Super speeds will also come in a version without any design on the handle. The version presented above is a 60s version the one in the photo I have given, top left, is a 40s version. Also here are some more adjustable safety razors and at the bottom right is the fatboy that forum members think you have, this one is a 1958 fatboy. The primary difference is the dial.

Attached Files:

17. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    If it is, it's not by much. Those 2 pics are from different distances.

18. Dr. Fitness

Dr. Fitness New Member

that is something I find, well difficult, at this point: the handle on my fat boy is MUCH shorter then the handle of my M3 disposable that I'm use to.

why are the handles so short on these old gillette razors?

19. mantic

mantic U TOOB

Thanks! :D

--Mark

20. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Interesting question. I never wondered about that.. I have some razors with even shorter handles then the super speed.. They work just fine. I guess that is all the engineers thought was needed.