Breaking In a New Strop

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by HolyRollah, May 7, 2014.

1. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I just received via the USPS my new Illinois #827 strop—and it, as expected, is as stiff as a board. Okay, that is a bit of an exaggeration, but honestly, it is quite inflexible compared to the Whipped Dog 3" strop I have been abusing...err...learning upon. The WD strop was pretty well broken-in when I first got it, so I've no experience with NEW strops.

In researching this problem, I have read of applying a dab of Netsfoot oil (I do have some), using pumice stone, smearing with mineral oil, vigorous hand-rubbing, soaping the strop with lather, or simply doing nothing but using the razor. I'm certain all or most of these would have a generally positive effect upon a stiff strop, but I'm open to suggestion from you more experienced straight razor shavers & stroppers as to get this new strop to be more...compliant.

Thanks in advance. :)

[​IMG]

2. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    The leather side: Just Palm Rub until warm every time you walk by the strop :) you really don't want to add oil or conditioner to them they have quite a bit impregnated in them from the factory, the rub downs will bring it to the surface

The linen side: Honest it works even being that stiff, just use it, and if you must do "Something" then strop a butterknife :p

3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

My preference is to NOT put any additional product on the strop, so I'll heed your voice of experience and do the palm rub. I did it tonight before stropping two razors tonight just to get the feel of it. :happy088:

Karl G and gssixgun like this.
  4. JoeB

JoeB Well-Known Member

The natural oils in your had will maintain it a long time. The linen works best when stiff in my opinion. The Illinois strops are really nice from the factory. Great draw and linen on the back (something you do not see much anymore). My favorite strop.

Karl G likes this.
  5. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

A word of caution about neatsfoot oil: Don't.

definition: a pale-yellow fixed oil made by boiling the feet and shinbones of cattle, used chiefly as a dressing for leather.

I would NOT use it unless it is specifically recommended by the manufacturer to do so.

A tiny bit of neatsfoot oil goes a really long way toward softening open grain leather, and once you've used it,

there is no going back. I've seen brand new leather lineman's boots (hand made expensive ones $$$$$$$) completely ruined

in less than 72 hours by over applicaton of neatsfoot oil. The leather became so soft that the stitching pulled right through

and the boot literally began falling apart.

If you insist on applying "something", I would contact the strop company and ask for care instructions.

Karl G likes this.
  6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Thanks, Joe & Mike.
    As per my comments in reply#3, I am in no hurry to apply any 'treatments' to the strop and will let the natural oils from my hands do it's thing.

This new strop certainly has a different 'feel' to it than the previous strop (which was quite smooth). It is also narrower (2.5" wide) than the 3" WD strop, so I get to practice my x-pattern a bit more.

Karl G likes this.
  7. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

@HolyRollah

I'll defer to Glen's expertise here, but from what I've read and what I've experienced so far (keep in mind that I'm a beginner...)
    it seems "normal" that a strop should somewhat flexible and have a bit of raised grain. My beginner strop was recommended by
    Jarrod @ Superior Shave and it has these characteristics. (and it works wonderfully when I don't mess things up)
    It sort of "grabs" the blade gently while I'm stropping. As a matter of fact, I've come to rely on this sticky feeling to tell me what is going on.
    It seems odd to me that a brand new strop would be hard and slick.....

At any rate, I'm curious to see how this develops and I hope it works out well for you.

Karl G, JoeB and HolyRollah like this.
  8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Thanks! So far so good with 3 razors stropped. This 'sticky' feel you mentioned is readily apparent on this new strop, but it does give me very good tactile feedback (and tells me to lighten up and not to bear down too much!). I took out my 40X illuminated loupe for some before and after views to see what impact my stropping was having. The linen side created some distinct scratches (viewed under magnification) that softened substantially following the stropping on the leather.
    One side note: under the loupe, I realized how irregular (in width and smoothness) many of my 'shave-ready' edges are on my razors...:eek: There is definitely room for improvement on both my honing and stropping technique.

Karl G and JoeB like this.
  9. JoeB

JoeB Well-Known Member

Amazing what you'll see under magnification. I thought my honing ability was par until I purchased a microscope. Best $14 I spent. (mini-microscope at Radio Shack)

Karl G likes this.
  10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Joe, I have been using the same loupe when honing, but what I have not been using the loupe for is to see the results after my stropping. Seeing Glen's images of folded edges has me now checking the edge following the stropping—just to see how it is impacting the edge. At least I'll know whether or not my less-than-perfect stropping technique is negatively impacting my shaves.

Karl G likes this.
  11. JoeB

JoeB Well-Known Member

Looks like I'll be taking a look at my edge after stropping. I wonder if my stropping technique is as good as I think it is.

Karl G likes this.
  12. Chris Scott

Chris Scott Member

Taking a look at the edges has me reminiscing the process of cleaning the guns in living room.

I should have a teenage daughter just to maintain my razors when her date picks her up.

13. SaintAccardo

SaintAccardo Member

The Illinois #827 is my favorite strop and maybe I'm just a stalwart for what was used by the majority of barbers throughout the 20th century and feel that nothing more is needed. So I really don't like all these 3" wide latigoes and Dovo's and think they're overkill. I have found that if you have a really stiff strop, Kiwi Saddle Soap works a charm. Softens it right up using a toothbrush to scrub it and then applying just a smidgeon of yellow Dovo paste. A little goes a long ways.
    I also found that in the beginning, I was far too apprehensive with my stropping technique and was always worried about ruining the edge but today I'm much more aggressive with my stropping and I get fantastic shaves all the time now. In the beginning I would hone on my coticules and I knew I was doing it right by how the edge looked under magnification and passing the HHT+3 at least but after pussy assed stropping and then going to a shave it was like shaving with one of my Italian stilettos, very uncomfortable. Now after honing on one of my many coticules, which are my favorites, I go to a CrOx linen for 10-15 good swipes, 20-30 swipes on the plain linen, and finally 60 good swipes on the leather, I've found that my mistake was in how I was approaching the stropping. I'm not saying bear down super hard on it, but leave a little slack in it and press so that the spine and edge are well on the whole area. I used to lay mine on a table too but again, I don't believe that isa proper approach to a hanging strop anyways and never did me any favors but I can see why people suggest Iit. It will help you prevent from rolling the edge easier than if it was hanging and your technique is bad. Watch an oldtimer use a hanging strop and you'll see what I mean.

Karl G likes this.
  14. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

So after daily use, I'm really enjoying this #827 strop. I have been vigilant about hand-rubbing the strop even when 'passing by' and the overall texture has softened nicely.
    I use a light 'windshield wiper' stroke when stropping and so far I'm pleased with the results. My wrist splint makes extended stropping (more than 50 laps) too painful, so I make do with 20-25 linen/40-50 leather. Under the loupe, the edge is still looking good (i.e. I'm not doing more harm than good when stropping).

Karl G and gssixgun like this.
  15. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Has the linen started to "Soften" a bit also ????

Karl G likes this.
  16. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Yes, it has, i'm happy to report. It is not nearly as noisy as it used to be…("WHAT in the world are you DOING in there?"—asked my wife as I raised a racket stropping the linen side….) :p

Karl G, Jayaruh and gssixgun like this.
  17. Jom

Jom Member

Thanks for the info, I have to be honest, stropping is the part that makes me the most nervous, just because if i screw something up i might wreck my blade and then my face :(

i got one of the poor man strops from whipped dog and it's fairly stiff and i don't get a lot of confidence from it. I think i will try giving it a hand job tonight ;)

Karl G likes this.
  18. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

I realize this is not a new strop how to keep it in good shape? P8200103.JPG P8200105.JPG P8200106.JPG P8200109.JPG P8200113.JPG Take care.

Karl G likes this.
  19. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

The nice thing about strops, I've discovered, is—unlike straight razors—they require very little care and maintenance.
    So long as you're not over-applying oils and other 'stuff' to 'improve' the strop, chances are the strop will last quite a while.
    The warm hand rubdown (see Glen's post#2 above) is pretty much going to help keep the strop supple & up to the task. Since your strop has some mileage on it, it doesn't require the break-in period my new 827 needed.
    I have an old horsehide strop that has seen plenty of action over it's long life, and still does a fine job. Ultra-smooth finish on the horsehide side. I still rub the strop down (out of habit) before each use.
    [​IMG]

Karl G likes this.
  20. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

ok so i won"t clean it with saddle soap first. Thank you now if you could check out my straight razor i really need your advice.
    Take care

Karl G likes this.