Brush length!?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Bobby Mac, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Bobby Mac

Bobby Mac Member

Howdy all,

Ive been DE shaving for a couple weeks now and still have a lot to learn - question?

I keep seeing different brush lengths, would anyone mind explaining what the difference in length would make? I am guessing it would make some difference with the lather?

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

The longer the brush, that is the loft of the bristles, the more floppy the brush will be. Some folks like this. Others prefer a shorter loft that gives the brush more stiffness, also known as backbone. It's all a matter of preference. For both types of folks, they like what they like because for them it makes a great lather for an enjoyable shave.

3. Bobby Mac

Bobby Mac Member

Hmmmm, that figures! I bought a brush for $189 (its short, for sure) and thinking about it now, I think I would like a brush with more loft; the brush I use now is fairly dense...

Do you know of any inexpensive brushes with a long loft, that I could pick up to try? I'd hate to spend big money, to just find out I dont actually like the "floppiness"

4. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

My best brush ever is the $3 Bestshave #6.

I don't like the softer badgers.

5. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Try an Omega 31064 if you don't mind a boar brush. Don't do anything hasty with your other brush you might learn to like it with some more time.

alpla444, tuxxdk and swarden43 like this.
  6. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

200$ for a brush as a New shaver ?
    After a couple of years how many you will spend ?
    There is NO reason for a beginner to give such amount
    Buy 1-2 cheap brushes to learn some thing and then something more expensive
    The same knot in different handles could have a huge difference in money,a stamp or a better shinning won't worth the expensives
    Keep your money for some good DE's,you have also a lot of soaps-creams-blades to test.

7. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

If you want a quality floppy brush pick up a Vulfix. Classic Shaving or The Superior Shave are both good dealers

..what kind of brush did you spend $200 on?

8. swarden43

Now we're getting into opinions. I have a Vulfix 404 The Grosvenor (badger/boar mix) and a Vulfix 406 The Burlington badger. I don't consider either one of them floppy. Great brushes, to be sure, but not floppy. Again, getting into opinions.

9. Bobby Mac

Bobby Mac Member

Simpson Chubby 2 "Super" badger - I am pleased with it but think I may like something a little longer (I may not either?) Maybe Ill use both?

I am also considering the Simpson Wee Scot for the mustache area its only $40!?

10. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

Well, one, the 404, IS a mixed hair. The boar pretty much takes care of any floppiness, but I'm going on what I've been told by the owners of some of these brushes and by info gathered from the dealers themselves when I started wet shaving. I've never had a Vulfix badger brush based on just that info.

11. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

I think you took quite a leap for your beginners brush. Get on the horn, call some of these vendors and tell them what you're looking for. They'll steer you straight. My first hand experience is that Omega badger brushes are long and floppy and inexpensive.. Go to Shoebox Shaving and pick one of those out.

12. swarden43

Yeah, I agree - throw some boar into the mix and that'll stiffen the brush up a bit.
    Do you have a Vulfix badger?

13. Bobby Mac

Bobby Mac Member

The Simpson is actually my 4th brush (well 3rd, the 1st was in the AOS starter kit - that doesnt count). I hear what your saying but I research everything I buy and after hours of research sounded like something I wanted so I bought it! I am definitely pleased with it, but find it a little tough to use around the upper lip due to denseness, which is the only complaint. I think added floppiness may help there, as well as be a refreshing change from the density in the Chubby. But I will always keep the Chubby in rotation, just figured I would explore something with more loft?

Who knows maybe the Wee Scot will make my upper lip happy?

Anyway, as long as the wife is cool with my purchases, I see no reason not to indulge; you only live once? Plus I cant take my money with me when I die, I will however probably be buried with all my brushes though... LOL!

14. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

I got the Chubby 2 also and it is quite stiff indeed. I enjoy it as a change of pace but not for every day. The Vulfix 2235 is definitely floppy, but for me in a good way. It's a great-soft lathering machine. The Vulfix 404 (badger-boar) is in the middle of the stiff-floppy continuum, and a fine value. Of my many brushes, these 2 Vulfix brushes are my go-to brushes.

15. Raven312

Raven312 Well-Known Member

I would recommend you go to whippeddog.com and put together one of his silvertip badger brushes. They're very inexpensive for what you're getting and the loft may be just what you're looking for. If you find you don't like it, you could most likely sell it for most of what you paid for it. There are other routes to take too, which are fairly inexpensive. I like to refurbish brushes and put my own knots in them. As a result I have a stable of various heights, densities, and grades of badger and boars.