Brush Measurements

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Infotech, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

This process has taken over a year, but I think I'm finally down to making a decision on my next brush. I've currently been looking at it by measurements.

I own a Kent Bk4 (105mm) and a C&E Best (95 MM). I've been shaving with them both keeping in mind the different lofts and different feel of the hair. I like the scrubbieness of my C&E and the softness of my Bk4, but it is almost too floppy. The C&E is too prickly to use every day, or I'd probably be content with what I have.

Now I'm to the point of picking f between the Rooney Style 1 or 3. The 1 is a bit smaller over all than my C&E Best and sounds like it would be a nice soft and scrubby brush. The style 3 is right between my two brushes so might it be the "sweet spot" of scrubby and soft? I have all the softness I want in the Bk4 so I really would rather have a soft scrubby brush. See where this leads me? right back to the Style 1. Would it be to harsh or is it a pretty soft brush?

How much difference is 5mm when you're talking about shaving brushes?

2. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

You don't mention which size you're looking at. I had a style 3 small...THE most dense/stiff brush I've ever seen! TOO dense, TOO stiff. For me anyway. Sold it to Padron...the poor guy! :) Don't know about the style 1 though.

Overall height is not the issue. If you prefer a longer socket, it matters, but as far as floppy/scrubby/dense/soft, etc is concerned, the diameter and height of the KNOT plus it's density are what determine the feel of the brush. Assuming the same hair type (silvertip vs pure, etc).

Personally, my favorite brush, Custom Title notwithstanding, is the Simpson Tulip T2. Soft, scrubby, lathers anything, great "feel". Not as dense as the Rooney 3/1...but MUCH more dense than Kent ever dreamed of being!! Only thing wrong with it is that the socket is too short for my taste. Still my favorite brush.

I'm sure this has just muddied the waters, but hey - I mean well!

3. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

Oops.. I'm looking at size 1 on each of them.

I'd LOVE to have a Tulip 2, but I hesitated on buying one because of the price. The next thing you know they were out of stock and then Simpson sold out to Vulfix...If there's one thing I regret not buying it's the T2. I'm always about three minutes late on the rare occasion one pops up for sale.

I've looked at the loft sizes on both the Style 1 and 3 in size 1 and there's a 2 mm difference between the two. Would that be noticeable?

4. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

I would think not, but there probably is. I wouldn't buy a Style 1 just because I don't care for the socket shape. Style 3 was VERY comfy to hold, but the brush was just too stiff!

As for the T2, about $150 USD here. $30 less than I paid. Don't know if they have Simpsons or Vulfix stock on hand, but I would guess Vulfix. Also don't have a clue what the difference is, if any, but I just asked them...
    Hello, Robert and Charlotte! A question just came up on my favorite US-based shaving forum, The Shave Den, where I am a moderator. I thought I'd ask for your help. I notice that you have the Simpsons Tulip T2 in stock and that it is about $150 US, $30 less than I paid a year or so ago. I assume that the brushes you have in stock were produced after Simpsons brush line was sold to Vulfix. Can you confirm that?

Also, can you give me a brief comparison between the Simpson and Vulfix version? In your opinion, is it the same brush? If not, how would you describe the differences? Beyond the T2, can you compare the Chubby, Duke and Emperor lines with the original Simpsons versions?

Thank you very much...I appreciate your help!
    Stay tuned for the answer...

5. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

Cool. Can't wait to hear from them.

6. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

You saw it here first:

Brush on left is original, has been used, hence the bloom.

Brush on right is the new Simpsons, unused.

Attached Files:

7. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Your sick man....

Drop the brush..and step away...

8. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

I don't see much of a difference. Is the loft shorter on the new one, or is that just because the original is bloomed?

9. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

It's because it's bloomed. Aside from that, and the stamping and decal changing a bit, the two brushes are pretty much identical in every way.

10. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Well THAT was quick! I had Robert's reply when I woke up this morning - just didn't have time to post it. Isle of Man is the new facility, Somerset, the old.
    I’d say that about 20% of our current stock Simpsons was produced in Somerset.

In my personal opinion there is a difference between brushes produced in Somerset and the Isle of Man, but you need a cabinet full of both types to spot the difference! Somerset produced brushes have a much more rounded top and the lettering is “lamp blacked” onto the brush. Isle of Man produced brushes have a more fan shaped loft with the lettering laser etched onto the brush. As yet I have not had any feedback on any differences when using them other than the new brushes keep their labels.
    Interesting comment about the shape. From Mike's photo, I really don't notice much difference. Perhaps it's more pronounced on other models. Good news on the labels though.

Oh, and Mike...Isaac's right. You've been hanging out with Peter again, haven't you?! :rolleyes005

11. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

Thanks for the information. I'm starting to lean towards a Simpsons, but maybe a PJ2. I was thinking Rooney, but the more I read the more it sounds like they stuff their brushes full of badger to set themselves apart. I'm looking for something more dense than a Bk4, but not too much.

Edit: I'm thinking about a PJ1 or Tulip 1. Does anyone know how they'd compare to say a C&E Best in terms of size? I can't seem to find the knot size on them, just an overall.