Brush of the Day BOTD

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Boojum1, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Sunday Schick shave, January 15th 2023.

Razor : Schick E2 injector, Canadian variant - Mfg 1930's-40's, mid aggressive, Built to last and is one of the better injectors I enjoy. 1 OZ weight. Great & enjoyable shave this morning.
    Blade : Personna SS PTFE (2) sharp & smooth with great longevity.
    Soap : Cyril R Salter Indian sandalwood, nice herbal sandalwood scent + excellent lather qualities. One of the nicest Sandalwoods IMO.
    Brush : Yaqi "Mysterious space" 24mm silvertip, excellent lather generator, heavenly pillow like soft tips, gentle splay scrubber + excellent lather painter.
    Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
    Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
    Post shave : Ogallala Bayrum with Sandalwood + a dollop of Geo F Trumper sandalwood skin food, mild scent and works well.
    Results :CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=[​IMG] Excellent shave with my Schick E2 injector with a Personna coated blade.
    Brush Collage Jan15 2023.jpg
    Have some great shaves!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2023
    Pedigree and stuartganis like this.
  2. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

Yaqi Synthetic [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

Ron R likes this.
  3. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

BOTD + MMMonday, January 16th, 2023
    Brush : Yaqi "Barber pole"24mm 2 band badger, excellent lather generator, pillow like soft tips, excellent splay scrubber + great lather painter. Great handle + very enjoyable brush!
    Brush Collage Jan16 2023.jpg

Have some great shaves!

stuartganis and Pedigree like this.
  4. stuartganis

RajonCajonBrushes / Maggards Synthetic [​IMG]

Ron R likes this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

wcs lantern silvertip

20230116_202341_edited.jpg

stuartganis and Ron R like this.
  6. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

BOTD + DE SOTD, Tuesday, January 17th 2023

Brush : Yaqi "Bali" 24 mm silvertip- excellent lather generator, heavenly pillow like soft tips, very nice gentle scrubber + excellent painter. Smaller unique beehive handle with a excellent knot.
    Brush Collage Jan17 2023.jpg

Have some great shaves!

7. stuartganis

brit likes this.
  8. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

BOTD + DE SOTD, Wednesday January 18th 2023

Brush : Yaqi " Sagrada Familia" 22mm 2band badger, excellent lather generator, soft pillow like tips, nice splay scrubber + great lather painter. Small handle for those folks that fancy that + not a lather hog either!
    Brush Collage Jan18 2023.jpg

Have some great shaves!

9. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

We got talking about scuttles for warm lathering on another thread and thought some might find it interesting what the ideal brush would be for retaining heat slightly better, it looks #1 badger, then boar very close to badger hair and synthetics was least for heat retention over time.
    All I did was get the warm water running from facet and fill the salad bowl to a temperature of 130'F and let the brushes soak for a minute and then stood them up as shown after a flick to remove bulk of water(simulating a brush to start lathering with). The brushes in room temperature where 72'F and when immersed in the water for the 1 minute and then stood up for short testing they were indicating 100'F at start fairly evenly, then every 5 minute I took a reading.
    The badger brushes are the best because they create lots of smaller clumps of hair after 1 flicking off the water to start the testing, the next best was the boar brush and it would of been used for the scuttles back 100 years ago because of costs and where readily available.
    The scuttles back 100 years ago at opening for pouring hot water in looks more for the smaller brushes of that time that where used also. I live in a cold place(Northern Alberta Canada) during winter and now I know the best brush to use when heating up my shave bowl for maximum enjoyment. During the summer months for a nice cooler shave a badger and boar might be slightly better also?

[​IMG]

I did the little experiment to find the ideal brush for my ceramic lather bowl when I warm it up under the sink for my warm lather. I heard badgers retain the heat the best but never seen any proof of it. Now I know the badgers are the better choice!
    All brushes where 24mm according to Manufacture (Yaqi)!

[​IMG]

Have some great shaves!

stuartganis, brit and Enrico like this.
  10. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

BOTD + DE SOTD, Thursday, January 19th 2023

Brush : Yaqi "artic sky" 24mm silvertip badger, excellent lather generator, heavenly pillow like soft tips, gentle splay scrubber + excellent lather painter. Nice ergonomic handle + great knot.
    Brush Collage Jan19 2023.jpg

Have some great shaves!

TommyCarioca, stuartganis and brit like this.
  11. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

SE SOTD, January, Friday 20th 2023.

Razor :
    Yaqi Excalibur with Yaqi Milano 316 SS polished handle - Mfg 2021>,tame mid range, simple clamping design, head made from Zamak + small head parts, excellent results 95%+ of time for stellar shaving IMO.
    Blade : Schick proline p30, AC 50mm blades, sharp and smooth with reasonable longevity. Good pairing with razor.
    Soap : Speick stick, nice mild spicy scent with excellent lather qualities.
    Brush : Yaqi " Ever helpful" 22mm 2band badger- excellent lather generator, pillow like soft tips, firm splay scrubber + great painter. This brush is designed for folks who enjoy the scrub but still has soft tips, short loft with HD knot makes it perfect as a scrubber.
    Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
    Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
    Post shave : Pinaud Clubman with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
    Results : CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers=[​IMG] excellent shave with my Yaqi Excalibur with a Schick proline p 30 blade.
    [​IMG]

Have some great shaves!

stuartganis, brit and Enrico like this.
  12. stuartganis

AKA Brushworx Handle / Maggards Synthetic [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2023
  13. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

BOTD + SE SOTD, January 21 2023

Brush : Yaqi "black marble" 24mm silvertip badger, excellent lather generator, heavenly pillow like soft tips, gentle splay scrubber + excellent lather painter.
    Brush Collage Jan21 2023.jpg

Have some great shaves!

TommyCarioca and stuartganis like this.
  14. stuartganis

AKA Brushworx Handle / Maggards Synthetic [​IMG]

TommyCarioca and Ron R like this.
  15. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

BOTD + Schick Sunday Shave, January 22nd 2022

Brush : Yaqi "Moka express" 26mm 2band badger, excellent lather paint generator, big pillow like soft tips, nice splay scrubber + great lather painter. If a person likes a wider handle + big knot this one works well IMO.
    Brush Collage Jan22 2023.jpg

Have some great shaves!

16. stuartganis

Ron R likes this.
  17. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

BOTD +Brush : Yaqi "Aqua" 24mm High mountain silver tip badger, excellent lather generator, pillow like soft tips, excellent splay scrubber + excellent lather painter. Slight prickliness at first when purchased new but it mellows out nicely(I enjoy this feeling) + excellent handle and a joy to use. It come from a different species of badger from my visual inspection of other badger brushes I own.
    Brush Collage Jan23 2023.jpg

Have some great shaves!

18. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

BOTD + ASRazor shave, January 24th 2023

Brush : Yaqi " mountain lake" 24mm 2band badger, excellent lather generator, pillow like soft tips, nice splay scrubber + great lather painter. Nice ergonomic handle with a excellent knot.
    Brush Collage Jan24 2023.jpg

Have some great shaves!

19. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

BOTD + DE SOTD, Wednesday, January 25th 2023

Brush : Yaqi "Mysterious space" 24mm silver tip(3band), excellent lather generator, heavenly pillow like soft tips, nice gentle scrubber + excellent lather painter. Nice handle and great knot makes for good shaving experience.

[​IMG]

Have some great shaves!

TommyCarioca, stuartganis and Enrico like this.
  20. stuartganis

Cravingshaving Synthetic [​IMG]

TommyCarioca likes this.