Brush Questions ????

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Ratpoison, Feb 23, 2023.

1. Ratpoison

Ratpoison Well-Known Member

A fellow member recently posted about using a brush. This got me thinking, I have 3 all synthetic. I’ve used a badger brush before but prefer synthetic for various reasons. Which leads me to my a past find of a Made-Rite badger brush (1500L I believe, first number is a little hard to see). I got it because I like the handle & really want to use it. What I like is to have a synthetic knot put in but do not know who does this. Everyone seems to do badger or boar. And to be honest I’m confused about knot sizes. Not looking for a chubby. Would appreciate a few tips & suggestions on where I could have it done.

IMG_4420a.jpg

stuartganis likes this.
  2. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

You can do it yourself. Look it up on Utube.

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

Ratpoison likes this.
  3. jaro

jaro the dread and the fear

Take a micrometer and measure the opening and see how big it it then you would either pick a knot 1 or 2 mm smaller than the opening or you will have to increase the size of the opening. Once you figure out the size then you will need to remove the old knot, clean up the Opening and decide how deep you want the knot and then simply use either silicone or epoxy and put some on the bottom of the knot and put the knot into the opening , wait a day or two and then enjoy your brush... Honestly it isn't hard and you can do it yourself or there are Plenty of people who could do it for you on here... I've had good luck with getting knots from maggards and a few other places. Good luck with whatever you decide to do..

stuartganis and Ratpoison like this.
  4. Ratpoison

Thanks for the tips. I think I will try it myself. Going to have to invest in a couple old brushes I don’t care about & practice first. Cause I definitely don’t want to mess up this handle.

stuartganis and jaro like this.
  5. ewk

ewk Well-Known Member

I purchased a lot of 3, and just finished restoring two. If interested, PM me and I will send to you the third one to practice on along with two boar knots.

6. Ratpoison

Thank you, I'll def PM you in a bit.