Brush suggestions

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by SrulDog, Feb 20, 2012.

1. SrulDog

SrulDog New Member

I've been wet-shaving for a few weeks now and I think my brush kinda stinks. I got an omega synthetic from amazon that came with a tube of omega shave cream (I'm happy I bought it because it introduced me to menthol shave cream ;)

Though the brush makes great lather, I have been having a bit of trouble transferring the cream to my face - i think the brush is kind of a cream hog and it ends up really thin on my face but if I squeeze it out, i get great cream.

I generally use TOBS or Omega shave cream. Should I be using a soft brush with these or a stiffer brush? I'm not looking to spend tons of cash - I'd like to keep it under $20. Can anyone suggest a solid brush for me?

2. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

Under $20...

Boar from Omega or Semogue
    Badger from Target (Shea Moisture aka The Dridecker) or Frank Shaving for a little over $20, maybe $25 IIRC.

battle.munky likes this.
  3. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

battle.munky likes this.
  4. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I want a 404 myself.

5. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Brian and Jeff speak some wisdom.

I don't care for synthetic. I only had the Body Shop synthetic though. Still, Brian and Jeff gave you some good options. I have all of what they mentioned and am pleased with it all.

6. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

You might want to look at this.

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threa...ng-company-synthetic-brush.24667/#post-425255

7. SrulDog

SrulDog New Member

8. SrulDog

SrulDog New Member

I think I just might take the plunge on the Vulfix 404! thanks for the recommendation guys!

battle.munky likes this.
  9. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

You could not go wrong with a Omega "48" boar, great brush great price. The brush is a real workhorse, will lather either creams or soaps.

10. newb

newb Resident Newb

Here's some budget brushes that perform big.
    1) already recommended Star Shaving (frank's) Synthetic. IMHO possibly one of the best synthetic brushes around. And Less than 20 with shipping.
    2) Any Omega boar should do well. Most also less than 20 (I'm fond of the mighty midget)
    Now for just a little more (around 30 including shipping)
    1) Vulfix 404 badger/boar , it has possibly the nicest handle of any budget brush I've ever used.
    2) Frank Shaving Richmond 24mm in finest. If I were to have only 1 badger brush, it would be this one.

Of coarse there's also Vie Long horsehair, many styles are very affordable.

20 dollars isn't much to spend on a brush, but there are many excellent brushes available at that price range.

SrulDog and battle.munky like this.
  11. SrulDog

SrulDog New Member

This is exactly in my price range, and according to newb, omega passes muster.

Does the Omega 48 only come in chrome finish like this one I found on amazon?? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003BWNR9A/?tag=thshde-20

I agree 20 isn't much to spend, but unfortunately that's what I have to work with. Besides, it doesn't really seem like a big problem since you have suggested some excellent brushes. thanks for the info! :)

12. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    SrulDog likes this.
  13. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of the pro's they're pretty big and I like big brushes, just not in boar form.

Everyone I recommend the Beechwood Boar to enjoys them, and they're on sale now for $9.99

PanChango likes this.
  14. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I really dislike short lofted boar. YMMV, of course.

15. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

I dunno, I just felt like the Pro was to ungainly for me, it worked wonders for my ex's legs though haha. Its funny because the Swarvoski is the largest brush I have ever used, but it seems more manageable to me than the pro did; probably due to the way boar splays.

16. SrulDog

SrulDog New Member

I ended up ordering an Omega Pro 49 which arrived today. I lathered up a bowl of shaving cream and wow, what an improvement over the synthetic brush I was using. Not only is the size better for my hand, the actual lather is better and takes less time to make. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone - you have made this newb a happy camper.

tomnat, battle.munky and PanChango like this.
  17. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I used my 48 (nearly the twin of the 49) with The FAT this morning and as always, it performed like a champ.

Good decision going with the Omega. Inexpensive yet satisfying.