Discussion in 'The Brush' started by jtspartan, Mar 4, 2019.
Great out of the box thinking Jason! Love that grain. Wow!
Bravo! Impressive fix. Thanks for sharing the whole process.
Truth be told, I like the new profile and cleaner/clearer transition to the resin even better than the original! Work of art.
Some inkwell stands ready to go out to a friend. Pearwood.
While I was at it, some yard art. Inkwells for scale. Deodar cedar. The odd wavy seam in the grain is a transition between a grafted dwarf deodar cultivar and the rootstock that bolted through and grew to 30 feet.
I think I turned it just to see if my lathe and I could work at that size. About a peck and a half of shavings. If I could find a 125mm diameter knot I could loft it and justify posting to a brushmaking forum. Meanwhile, it’s a lonely rook that will never find its chess set.
Wow, how big is that? Does your lathe turn outward as well?
11 1/4” tall, 7 1/4” base diameter. Not sure of your question on the lathe turning outward. The head on my lathe can swivel 180 degrees, for bowl and plate work, I suppose. I haven’t ever used it in that position. It is not reversible.
I turned this piece between centers, base/bottom on the drive side. My “blank” was to big for my saw, very irregular, very out of balance and neither flat nor square on either end. The bark came off like shrapnel. I dressed the base/bottom close to flat and used a couple scrapers, a bowl gouge, and a little skew chisel work to flatten and dish out the top. At the finish I had spigots about an inch long at each end. Lots of sanding, this deodar is both coarse and a little soft.
That is amazing!
Decided to get back on the lathe since summer is over . Trashed my resin handle I started , then my next wooden handle got binned also.
So , lastly this was a piece that started as a brush handle made from scraps laminated together . As I was turning near the end where the knot hole is I noticed a split in the wood . Decided to keep going as I already wasted 2 handles tonight so I hollowed down the handle part more . Flipped it and bored a hole in the other end . Glued 4 washers in knot hole for counter weight and threw a coat of finish on it . I guess I'm now the proud owner of a razor holder . Hopefully next time " turns" out better for me .
Well, regardless of how you got there, it still looks really nice, Patrick.
There was a guy who talked about trees & happy accidents. There are no mistakes. Nice way to repurpose the piece!
very cool Patrick..
Thank you guys !
A) looks great!
B) Thanks for the counterweight/flip idea. I have a decent looking ‘canceled’ handle that will get that treatment tomorrow.
I wanted a longer brush handle, so I based this profile on old time chisel and screwdriver handles. Turning it on the I-X collet I could stop the lathe and test the fit to my hand until it was just right.
Woodpile cherry blank, ‘walnut’ danish oil finish to match with the horsehair knot.
Thank you ...and you"re welcome !
I like it . Very classy. I dont like the cart attached to that beautiful handle though. Just my opinion.
It's just a kit razor. You can get the same thing in a three piece razor design. The parts are not very expensive.
Separate names with a comma.