Brushmakers Thread - Calling all Turners

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by jtspartan, Mar 4, 2019.

1. brit

brit in a box

looks cool Patrick..

9nein9 likes this.
  2. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Awesome! Purpleheart will darken a bit as it develops a patina. No special finish needed for it, iirc.

9nein9 and brit like this.
  3. GAW9576

GAW9576 Well-Known Member

If you get a CA glue finish right it is a fantastic finish. And using thin CA would soak in around the whole thing and add further stability to the wood and crack. It's a very popular finish for pens and brush handles.

kjbarth and 9nein9 like this.
  4. GAW9576

Very thin coats with light sanding between coats. I struggle with it a bit but when i finally get it done it looks spectacular. There are probably better guys to give directions on how to do it. Or watching a few youtube video's.

9nein9 likes this.
  5. GAW9576

Here is my newest rasor handle. I hope noone minds me posting it here since there isn't a separate thread for razor handles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ischiapp, Tanuki, KUSTOM and 8 others like this.
  6. brit

brit in a box

very cool..

9nein9 and GAW9576 like this.
  7. jtspartan

Whatever you want to turn and post has a place here! Great handle.

9nein9, GAW9576 and brit like this.
  8. GAW9576

Thanks guys. When I tried gluing the adapter in there where a ton of bubbles. I removed the adapter and stuck a bunch of brass shavings to it then reglued it. If I look really close in really good light I can see some tiny air bubbles, but it's hard to distinguish from the brass shavings. I rather like the visual effect.

9nein9 likes this.
  9. MrEE

MrEE Half Naked Shave Stalker

Anyone in here turning metal brush handles?

10. MrEE

Here is my first attempt at turning a metal brush handle. 3 inches of 6061 aluminum drilled out for a 24mm knot. Nice heavy brush. Still need to glue a knot in it. Not sure I want to use the badger.

PSX_20200125_164604.jpg

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    Tanuki, KUSTOM, canoeroller and 5 others like this.
  11. GAW9576

That looks fantastic. I have wanted to do some metal turning but only have access to a wood lathe. So other than a little light work on the brass adapters I've had to pretty much stick to acrylic and wood.

Tanuki, 9nein9 and MrEE like this.
  12. MrEE

Thanks! I would be worthless on a wood lathe. Take away my carriage, tool post, and lead screw and I can't turn down a roll of toilet paper. I'm looking forward to learning from you guys.

Tanuki, 9nein9, GAW9576 and 1 other person like this.
  13. jtspartan

Our first metal turner on this thread! Can you post a few pics showing how you do that awesome knurling, Evan?

9nein9, GAW9576, Enrico and 2 others like this.
  14. MrEE

Thanks Jason! I'll share what I am experimenting with. I just got a decent knurling tool for Christmas and I did one practice pass which was a total failure, and my second try worked so I finished the brush. We'll see if I can get repeatable results. Right now I'm more lucky than good.

Sorry if it's already been discussed, but I'm curious about the wood lathes people are using. Mostly bench top models or something bigger?

What's the minimum kit someone would need to get started turning wood?

It's a little ambitious at this point but is there any interest in combined projects? I'm sure I could make some metal bases, sleeves, or inserts.

15. jtspartan

Types of lathes, necessary accessories, etc., have been discussed earlier in this thread, Evan. I’ll try to summarize a bit, but I would recommend reading through it when you get some time.
    In general, a good tabletop lathe would be sufficient for turnings 8 inches round or so and smaller. Spindles would be 12 inches max or so. Forget the baseball bat for sure. For shaving brushes, bowls, etc, it would be more than fine. Expect to pay about $500 US for a good one. High Speed turning tools are expensive. However, with your metalworking ability, you could make some scrapers and a parting tool very easily. On this thread, @9nein9 detailed making nice turned handles for tools as well.
    If you want, you can get away without any special chucks, but I am a huge fan of a 4 jawed chuck, as well as a collet chuck to hold a brush by the hole. Without a chuck, you will be drilling and finishing off of the lathe. There was a discussion of chucks on here as well.
    As for a collaboration, I’d be game!

GAW9576, kjbarth, brit and 1 other person like this.
  16. MrEE

Thanks Jason! I will go back and read the thread from the beginning. I did watch a few YouTube videos. I do think I'll be able to fabricate some of my own tools, but I think there is less overlap than I thought. Turning wood seems to be more of an art and turning metal is much more about calculation and setting up the machine for each process. Threading for example is about running through a prescribed process adjusting each dial by the correct amount in the right order until you've cut the threads to the correct dimensions. I'm not starting over completely, but pretty close.

Tanuki, 9nein9 and jtspartan like this.
  17. MrEE

Thanks Patrick! Making tools is as much fun as making stuff with tools, maybe even more fun. I've ground my own lathe bits. We'll see what I can do. I may have to start on my existing lathe. I'll have no problems turning the spindle and rigging a tool rest on top of my carriage, but I won't be able to get up close for leverage, too much metal lathe stuff in the way...

I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
    Tanuki, 9nein9 and jtspartan like this.
  18. MrEE

I made a couple more brush handles tonight. Took a few pictures. I'm afraid it's not all that exciting.

Knurling is all about sizing the piece within a few thousandths of an inch so the teeth on the knurling tool land in the same groove as it cuts the piece.

PSX_20200207_232838.jpg

These knurling wheels have a .01770" pitch. After making a referance cut my piece has a diameter of 1.226". The math is simple. 1.226/.0177=69.27. Round down to whole number and miltiply. 69x.0177=1.2213. So I cut the diameter to 1.221"

PSX_20200207_232946.jpg

The notches on the cross slide are in .001" increaments, but metal is somewhat elastic so I have to make a big enough cut or the tool will just rub on the surface.

PSX_20200207_231337.jpg

I set my calipers to 1.2215 and zero ut out so the calibers just tell me how much to remove.

PSX_20200207_231427.jpg
    PSX_20200207_231513.jpg
    Perfect. Now all I have to do is center the knurling tool, tighten it down, use plenty of oil, and let it run.
    PSX_20200207_231608.jpg

Tanuki, KUSTOM, kjbarth and 5 others like this.
  19. MrEE

Once it's knurled then we just drill and ream out the end.

You guys ever see smoke when drilling? This bit is dull...

PSX_20200207_235255.jpg

The cleanup is less fun. The chips are razor sharp. Mayham maybe...

PSX_20200207_235315.jpg

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
    Tanuki, wristwatchb, kjbarth and 5 others like this.
  20. GAW9576

Very cool seeing some of the process in turning on a metal lathe. It's simultaneously similar to and different than wood turning.
    I'd like to see the process for barber pole knurl. I can't remember if anyone asked if you can do barber pole knurl.

jtspartan and 9nein9 like this.