Budget Soaps

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Michael_W, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Besides, if you're just buying the product - especially from a reseller rather than direct - and don't have any questions yourself, what's the big deal? I did notice that Soap Commander hosted a meet up of the regional wetshavers group and even made a LE soap for them based on the group members' scent requests, so there clearly is customer service going on there...

2. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

@Michael W since you are watching the budget, I would love to send you a cake of my homemade shave soap (my treat). I will even scent it for you, if you like. PM me if you would like this.

3. RandySP

RandySP Member

Good to hear that.

Screwtape likes this.
  4. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

Sweet! Thanks! PM sent. :)

5. Shekky

Shekky Member

Morris Flamingo glycerin shave soap. $1.50 a puck from Atlana barber and supply. I order online. Great stuff. I am also a fan of Williams and Van Der Hagen.

6. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

My favorite popular-price soap sold at local retailers: Van der Hagen Luxury--not to be confused with Deluxe. It's one of my favorite soaps at any price. This soap just explodes into consistent, perfect lather with a minimum of effort and yields wonderful shaves for me every single time.

I've gotten really good shaves from Yardley Cocoa Butter with Shea Butter and Vitamin E bath soap, too. It can be trickier to lather than dedicated shave soaps, but once you solve that puzzle, it's a winner! For just a buck at my local Dollar Tree, that would be my first choice if finances were dire. It's also a delightful soap for your pre-shave wash.

Frijolero, Screwtape and Michael_W like this.
  7. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Van Der Hagen Deluxe and Arko shave sticks are the best cheap shaving soaps I have found. Looks like the you found them, too. Sometimes artisan soapmakers at craft fairs and farmers markets have great soaps at bargain prices. The soap quality can be hit or miss, though. It's hard to beat the Arko and Van Der Hagen when it comes to bang for the buck.

Michael_W, Frijolero and Screwtape like this.
  8. Mr Two Bits

Mr Two Bits Well-Known Member

Not that it’s any of my beeswax but I’d sure be interested to know how somebody could manage to get themselves banned from a shaving forum... I’ve been on some pretty contentious forums (sports, politics and the sort) but shaving??!?

Michael_W and PLAla like this.
  9. Michael_W

You'd be surprised. Badger & Blade bans people for practically nothing, and often without any prior warning at all.

10. Mr Two Bits

Glad I didn’t join there, then. If I want to argue with folks (which I don’t!) there are any number of other venues to do that. TSD is great and I plan to do my part to keep it that way!

11. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I'm on both B&B and this forum for some time now. I haven't had any issues on either. Most people seem to be fairly respectful of differing view points.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

SHAVEWIZARD420 and Michael_W like this.
  12. Michael_W

It's not so much differing viewpoints as inadvertently violating some obscure rule that is inconsistently enforced, such as posting links to videos that the moderators don't like (shaving tutorials, product reviews, etc. whether they appear to promote a brand or not). It's very difficult not to violate some of their rules in some way, and it's at the point where as I understand it many are afraid to post anything.

13. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I remember looking at the Morris Flamingo website a looooong time ago.

Michael_W likes this.
  14. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Another to try is Humphrey's Handmade. They go for $5 a puck and are good performers with a variety of scents. Its a glycerin soap though, if that matters to anyone.

Michael_W likes this.
  15. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

Williams! That's really all one needs to know.
    But, if you must, Palmolive stick and cream, also, Derby creams. If you like a string scent, none these will rank high, but if you like performance, these are all sure winners.
    OP, I understand being budget minded, if you would like, I'd happily send you a couple packs of Williams.

richgem, Michael_W and Frijolero like this.
  16. Mr Two Bits

+1... I have a stick of Derby I got as a freebie from Geofatboy that I’d be happy to pass along. If you want it, PM me a shipping address and I’ll get it headed your way.

richgem and Michael_W like this.
  17. Michael_W

I've got three Williams pucks now from guys clearing out their dens, along with tubes of Palmolive, Old Spice, and Tabac shave cream. But thanks for the offer though. If you've extra to give away, I'm sure you can find someone who either hasn't tried it or hasn't used it in a long time.

richgem likes this.
  18. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

It's because there are a couple of wetshaving forums that are seemingly run by bad apples - immature management, abusive moderators, with plenty of childish behavior and censorship all around. The root cause is usually a conflict of interest. Some forums are actually ad agencies masquerading as hobbyist forums. This pits forum management profits against open and honest discussion, which results in a really ugly situation and lots of banned people.. The end result is a lot of lingering resentment. I didn't get banned from any forums, but left two because I saw a number of members sorely mistreated.

It is not only wetshaving, the fountain pen hobbyists have their own equivalent. The solution is to find a smaller, better run forum. The Shave Den is a good example, very well run, friendly, informative, and drama-free.

19. Michael_W

I got a tube each (used) of Palmolive, Old Spice, and Tabac shave cream via a den-clearing. I've used the Tabac and Palmolive, and plan to use the Old Spice tomorrow. So far I like the Tabac a lot. It's at least as good as the soap version and lathers really well.

Paul Turner likes this.
  20. Ksblazer

Ksblazer Well-Known Member

I liked kiss my face a lot too

If that is all I had in my den. I'd be okay with that.

If I was on a serious budget and could afford it. I would try to get a kilo of Cella. It would last a long time.

Shaver X and Michael_W like this.