Burgers, dogs, brats...

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by swarden43, Feb 14, 2010.

1. fishgutmartyr

fishgutmartyr Member

I use regular cooking oil. Nothing fancy.

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I spent from Jan. '86 to Jan. '89 stationed at Rhein Main AB. We shared the runway with Frankfurt. Loved it there! Nothing like an authentic German brat done up on a grill at one of the many fests they always seemed to have going on!

3. fishgutmartyr

fishgutmartyr Member

Was only there once, in '78, visiting relatives. I really liked the lifestyle they had: great mass transportation, less dependence on giant stores and more emphasis on small shops, really much more my style. And the chance to visit castles, roman ruins, etc. within 30 miles of home is a history-buffs dream.

The tragedy was I'm not too into Apple wine, and was too young to have developed a taste for beer (14). Of course, the obsession that area had with whipped cream and easy access to marzipan made up for that, and having Nutella for the first time didn't hurt, either.:D

4. TheCopperHat

TheCopperHat Member

home ground and stuffed deer sausage on the coal, i live in an appt and have had the side and above neighbours knock and ask what smells so damn good :) -20 and a beer on the balcony is the bets saturday afternoon possible

5. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Great job on the table, that looks great!

I'm mostly a griller, but sometimes do some slow cooking. I've got a good size gas grill, only use it out of convenience when I just don't have time to properly cook with charcoal. For charcoal grilling/smoking, I have a 22" Weber, and a Lodge Sportsman's grill. The Lodge is a heavy cast iron hibachi style grill. The cast iron imparts a flavor all it's own, totally different from the cheap aluminum hibachis. The Weber kettle style grill is a really good design. While I would like a Green Egg, I'm just not sure they're worth the price. Maybe someone who has one can opine as to their virtues.

6. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I love grilling. Bacon cheddar and jalapeño brats are definitely a comfort food. We grill a lot in my family and I'm getting pretty good at it.

Mustache likes this.
  7. Robust Rob

Robust Rob Member

I love brats as well but I refuse to eat them on game day...I'm a Razorback fan and eating pork on game day is just wrong....lol image.jpg

BamaT and 178-bplatoon like this.
  8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Brats are pretty big sellers in our house. I make them in a variety of ways (some with cheese, sometimes with peppers).
    This version is simply veal & pork in a traditional brat recipe (mild) that goes well grilled on sandwiches or added to casseroles or beans.

Just stuffed; ready to be cooked...
    [​IMG]

Grilled brats & homemade sauerkraut! Nothing wrong with that!
    [​IMG]

Mustache, CJames and Robust Rob like this.
  9. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Well, obviously I'm a Bama fan, but that was funny!

Robust Rob likes this.