Bustin' Out the Briar

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by 1OldGI, Feb 23, 2010.

1. saturnine

saturnine Member

Thank you, you make it sound easy. I estimated that a torch would destroy a corncob rather quickly if you didn't have a laser accurate flame (mine are not) & would be too hot. What do you use? I really don't care for torches as opposed to matches. An analogy: torches are to matches as cartridge razors are to DE razors. But if we want to spend time with nature, we are subject to her whims.

I have some tobacco, not a heavy aromatic (not a fruit flavor), but not a traditional English blend or such either; I can't remember what it is :o. It should be ok for a long time if stored properly, yes? I haven't looked at it in some time. I have it in a glass & metal screw top jam jar currently, but it was in tupperware prior to that. I do not have it in my humidor as I was advised not to mix pipe tobacco & cigars (though that may have been more a caution for the aromatic blends). I suppose if when packing it, there is no spring to it, it is dried out?

How many bowls until you consider a corncob broken in? And do you leave the filter in or remove it? Given that there are no filters on cigars, I don't see a reason to leave it in, but that is pure speculation. It seems it is a preference, like anything else.

Sorry for all the questions.

2. Adeptus_Minor

Adeptus_Minor Active Member

I picked up another cob today. I was wanting something a little lighter than my current cobs & briars to carry around with me when I'm walking my dog.
    While I generally prefer more substantial pipes, they aren't very comfortable to hold in the teeth...especially when walking or when my hands are occupied dealing with doggy matters.
    I would have preferred non-filtered, but (contrary to the name) there wasn't a lot of selection at Pipe World.

[​IMG]

I also picked up a tin of Presbyterian Mixture. We'll see how that is, though I need to use up some of last season's tobacco first... it's on the verge of getting a wee bit dry.

3. StephenDE

StephenDE New Member

Half and Half

Tried out some Half and Half pipe tobacco yesterday. Not bad, but different from the aromatics (Captain Black and some local pipe store blends). A good smoke for doing something like wood working or something.

A newbie question: What's the difference between burley tobacco and the aromatic blends I'm used to?

Enjoying my smokes!

4. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

Burley is actually a type of tobacco. Aromatic (although widely used to categorize certain types of tobaccos) is a way to prepare tobacco. In order to be aromatic tobaccos have to be cased with something (vanilla, cherry, liquor, maple or whatever). This preparation is what makes them smell like something other than tobacco burning. Many aromatics (i.e. Captain Black, Middleton Cherry, Middleton Apple, etc.) are simply a basic burley that has been cased.

5. Adeptus_Minor

6. StephenDE

StephenDE New Member

Thanks guys. That makes sense.

I'll be continueing to experiment as I've got some Prince Albert to try also and another brand Carter something that I'll probably try sometime.

7. StephenDE

StephenDE New Member

Can't help with the tobacco related questions but I can say this:

The filter is a matter of choice. I take it out because I think it changes the flavor of my tobacco.

Three or four bowls should break your corn cob in. Look at the inside. If its got a good coating of carbon (ie black on the bowl) then its probably good. It'll get better with time and use but it shouldn't take too long to break in initially.

Incidentally, there are lots of suggestions for how to break a pipe in best: fill the bowl half full the first time, 3/4 the next, full the third time...I think they're all overrated. That may be necessary with an expensive briar pipe, but with a corncob just load it and smoke it. If something untoward happens to it then you're just out about $10.00 (unless you bought a really expensive one!)

Enjoy!

8. Adeptus_Minor

Carter Hall?
    Of the drugstore blends, that one reviews pretty well and it seems to get recommended quite often for breaking in new briars.

9. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Welp...ya'll have convinced me to have a whack at this pipe stuff. I tried it a long time ago, but found it to be to tedious to deal with while driving trucks so I did not pursue it.

BG and I were at teh backie shop the other day after I saw this thread so I could look at pipes and stuff. I had to leave after less than 2 minutes in there because it was so smoky.

As an ex-smoker, I find myself being very radical about my ex status and really cannot handle being around smoke. If the only thing being smoked in that store was pipes, it prolly would have been fine, but I find cigar smoke particularly hard to deal with.

One thing though; you do not inhale tobacco pipe smoke...right?

10. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

Some pipe smokers inhale occassionally but generally pipe tobacco is a little stout to be smoked like a cigarette (i.e. every drag inhaled.) I very seldom (almost never) inhale.

11. StephenDE

StephenDE New Member

Yes, It was Carter Hall. Based on this I'll have to give it a go.