Calcim/Lime build up in kettle

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by tuco99, Jan 30, 2012.

1. tuco99

tuco99 Well-Known Member

The Doc says I have too cut down on caffeine so I've been enjoying herb tea lately . Here's my question,does anyone have tricks or ideas on cutting down on the build up in the kettle.The little filter in spout caches most of it but some gets though.I do clean out the kettle regularly but I guess not enough.Yeh I know it won't hurt me but I don't like it.

2. coche1

coche1 Actively Wishing Member

I think that the only way to stop it is to get a water softener.

3. tuco99

tuco99 Well-Known Member

I may be wrong but I thought all water softners bipassed the drinking water?

4. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Get a bottle of C.L.R. there are directions on the back for cleaning coffee pots, it will be easier to clean your kettle because it is less complicated than a coffee maker.

5. tuco99

tuco99 Well-Known Member

Well I use vinegar and clean out the pot regularly but have used CLR.

6. BassTone

BassTone Well-Known Member

I wouldn't use CLR or Lyme Away where food contact may occur. I have a glass Whistling Kettle and swish vinegar and warm water around in it with a soft spongy wand and it works like a charm! If it's not getting it all, let the water/vinegar solution set for a while, then swirl and rinse.

7. coche1

coche1 Actively Wishing Member

Not as far as I know. I believe that the water softener is typically installed right after the main water line comes into your house before it splits at all. At our previous house, that's how it was setup anyway (the softener was an old/outdated model and was no longer hooked up, but the lines were there with valves closed). So it softens all water coming into your house through the main line.

8. tuco99

tuco99 Well-Known Member

I was thinking of getting a glass kettle,maybe thats the trick.

9. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Buy a water filter I used to use one in the last place I lived as there seemed to be a quick build up of lime scale, the place im at now is only 5 miles away from where I was but the water is so much better, I'm not sure a glass kettle would make too much difference, but worth a try maybe

10. BassTone

If you go with glass, make sure you use the trivet if you have an electric range. They're cheap too and you can see if you've missed a spot in cleaning. We have a water filter on our cold water line, but honestly it doesn't seem to affect the hardness of the water for us, and we still get plenty of build up. We do the vinegar swish at least twice a week.

11. tuco99

tuco99 Well-Known Member

I use a Brita every time!
    Keep the ideas coming ,thanks

12. tuco99

tuco99 Well-Known Member

Okay what is a trivet and is it for??

13. tuco99

tuco99 Well-Known Member

never mind figured it out...duh !

BassTone likes this.
  14. Shayne Redfearn

Shayne Redfearn Active Member

vineger is the cheapest and most effective way...clr is an overrated and over priced product...:)

BassTone likes this.
  15. 2005xfr

2005xfr Active Member

My wife swears by Brew Rite on our coffee pot and espresso machine.
    She gets it at Wally World. ;)

16. BassTone

:happy088: No worries, I might have had to look it up myself were my wife not a great cook with all sorts of kitchen gadgets about! :)

17. fatkid

fatkid Well-Known Member

I dont know if its been suggested but try oxyclean.its safe non toxic and cleans almost anything. A guy i work with uses it to clean his home brewery system and i use it to clean my coffee thermos.

18. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Agree with you on the Trivet. I have a vintage heat defused that I always use with glass.
    Only problem is that if you don't have one, they're not easy to find!
    Do you have a location where they can be bought?

19. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Not a location as in brick and mortar...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001FSJOGW/?tag=thshde-20

20. emmijack

emmijack Well-Known Member

try citric acid powder, usually available from your local pharmacy, a teaspoon in about a pint of hot water has a mild de-scaling action, plus it's totally harmless if ingested, I use this in my Gaggia machine, and it works a treat and very cheap , about 70 english pence per packet.