Calling All Backpackers!

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by lradke, Apr 4, 2016.

1. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

I am currently in the process of selecting a backpacking tent. I hope to have some money together to buy one in the next few weeks, but I am having an issue narrowing it down. Right now I am looking at the MSR, The North Face, MEC, REI, and possibly Kelty.

For MSR I am considering the Elixer 2.

For The North Face I am looking at the Stormbreak.

For MEC I am looking at the Spark UL tents

For REI I am looking at the Passage, Half Dome and Quarter Dome tents.

I have had good experiences with Kelty 4+ person tents, so I figure their 1-2 person tents may be good, and so I am possibly thinking of looking at them.

Does anyone have any experience with the above tents? I'm trying to convince myself that tent weight shouldn't matter that much, given the last tent to grace my back was probably 10-15 lbs! But since I want to shed as much pack weight as possible (I am sick of 40+lb packs)...my mind is trying to keep it a priority. I also haven't been in any of these tents, I'm just going off my measurements and basing them on tent specs. I hope to check a lot of them out in the next few weeks!

Another consideration is if I need a 2 person tent or just one. I MAY have one of my kids with me when I go...but for the most part it will probably just be me in it and I don't ant something too big, when I don't need it.

Anyway, On the topic of lightweight backpacking, does anyone do it here? I am thinking of trying out a photon stove. A former scout leader, and good family friend, uses one and loves it! It will replace the ghetto propane stove I have always used.

I'm just curious what others use? I am wanting to get back into backpacking since the mountains are about a 30 min drive from my door, and it was something I frequently did until I got married.

2. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

I don't have a tent now. I used to use a bivy sack instead. I use a homemade soda can alcohol stove. I'm a few miles from the iron mountain access to the Appalachian Trail.

3. Joef

Joef Well-Known Member

I'm a big fan of north face. I've had one for years now. There are no frays in any of the seams what so ever. On windy nights very little draft if any gets through when the windows are zipped up. REI would be my second choice especially since one of your choices is a half done 2 person. Friends have them and are just as durable as the north face. I think the REI tents are just a bit heavier but not enough to be noticeable. As for single or two person....I always go for 2, ya just never know. Plus there is extra room if your alone to put your gear if it rains.
    I've never used a photon stove...or any stove for that matter, I just make sure I pack some dry kindle and a magnesium stick. I always felt that if I'm going to go out into nature, I bring as little as possible. So I can't help you on that choice. But if your really into roughing it a bit, leave the stove at home, you might find it to be a better experience.

4. lradke

I don't know if I could handle a bivy sack right now...though I think thy are the coolest thing in the world! How do you find the homemade alcohol stove? That is what I meant by a photon stove...and I am wanting to make one. Are they easy to refill? Do you have to let the fuel all burn out each time? All I have seen online is that they are light and can boil enough water for a person....and building instructions of course.

That's good to know about the North Face tents. I figured they were god, since I always see photos of them everywhere! The benefit for me to get MEC tent is that it is a lifetime warranty where I can return it pretty much for ANY reason. That being said, the North Face and REI have their brand behind them (quality).

5. Joef

Joef Well-Known Member

No doubt, the quality is definitely equal to the price. As for warranty, lifetime is nothing to dismiss. I actually couldn't tell you what the warranty for north face is, I never checked. But I have a north face jacket going on year 16 and it looks almost brand new.

lradke likes this.
  6. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

you make the homemade alcohol stove out of a soda can, cut it in have and poke holes around the fillet in the base, nest them and voila, done.

you ever use a tarp? I like tarp camping
    and you can get some ridiculously lightweight tarps and make your own stakes/poles if needed.

Here is a video for the alcohol stove. Not mine, just to give you and idea.

Shaver X and lradke like this.
  7. lradke

This is the type of stove I was thinking of making. As for tarps, I have never considered that...tuck on tents I guess. My friend uses a tarptent and loves it. I know he uses his hiking poles as tent poles. I'll have to look into that option.

battle.munky likes this.
  8. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

I have an REI and a MSR. I like the REI. It's a nice tent that I have had no issues.

lradke and Joef like this.
  9. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Yeah man, you can get a silnylon tarp and sleep directly on the ground on a thermarest or something....you're backpacking so I'm guessing dirt is involved anyhow. I really dig it, great airflow. Also, I know hammock guys that look at tent sleepers as troglodytes and their whole set up weighs next to nothing too. There are good options and comfort in a hammock too. Just throwing it out there.

http://www.bushcraftoutfitters.com/BCUSA-Tarps_c23.htm

And regarding homemade alcohol stoves, I watched that video I posted and that is super involved. There are way easier versions that literal take 5 minutes to make with a soda can and an awl and some heet/alcohol and may weigh 50 grams.

Shaver X and lradke like this.
  10. DDuckyMark

Here is the type of can stove I use. I don't use a template I just make the vents finger width apart. I couldn't find the video I based mine off of but I make mine with a can and a pocket knife. It takes about 10 min and I can do it at the camp site with a freshly emptied can. It works well for me as long as you can screen the wind from it somehow. it really struggles with cold water since it uses the hot can to vaporize the fuel to power the jets. Keeping a soft foldable water bag full and next to your body warms it enough to solve that problem. I also use tealight candles with a small mesh stand to preheat some things or heat things that don't need to boil.

lradke and battle.munky like this.
  11. DDuckyMark

found the video I learned from.

lradke and battle.munky like this.
  12. lradke

Well, due to fund restrictions, I got The North Face Stormbreak 2 tent and an Osprey Volt 60. A outdoors store here was celebrating the opening of their online store, so the had wicked sales. The Stormbreak 2 is regularly $210, I got it for $150; the Osprey Volt was last year's model...so instead of paying $225, I got it for $135.

I could have gotten a sleeping bag 50% off..but I'm gonna hold off on that right now. I'm thinking bout my stove and other odd items I need (cutlery, etc.). The tent isn't the lightest (weighing in at 5.5 lbs), but is should do for now...

Joef and battle.munky like this.
  13. hrairy

hrairy Well-Known Member

On the ground camping is too hurtful to me. I have a bad back. I use a Warbonnet Blackbird hammock with a tarp. You can make your own hammock with ripstop nylon and the weight is next to nothing.

PLANofMAN, lradke and Robyflexx like this.
  14. lradke

What do you guys use for a hammer? Just a rock I assume?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

15. Joef

Joef Well-Known Member

Shaver X, lradke and Robyflexx like this.
  16. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

17. necrotic

necrotic Active Member

I love the outdoors and backpacking is a great way to get away from the crowds and get close to nature. I don't have any good advice on a tent. my backpacking tent is old and on the heavy side. I have lots of other things I want first so it's low on the list of things to upgrade. For a stove, I really like the idea of not having to pack in fuel. I use a Chinese clone of the Bush buddy. http://bushbuddy.ca/ it works great and can boil water and simmer using a few handfuls of twigs.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

lradke and Robyflexx like this.
  18. Joef

Joef Well-Known Member

They are old 30 bucks or so and you can pick one up at home depot or lowes. It will last you a lifetime.

19. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
  20. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

This one is a bit bulky in terms of space, but not too heavy especially when you consider you never have to carry fuel. When you buy the kit, you can outfit yourself as your trip demands. I have the larger size, and have used it for everything from boiling water to rehydrate food, to frying breakfast, and can literally boil a half gallon of water in six minutes.

My base camp model weighs 2 1/2 pounds, so a bit much for long hiking, but I have humped it around for as long as three days. Since it is enough stove for three or four people, the food load can be split amongst others too. The little trekker model would be ideal for backpacking though.

http://www.kellykettleusa.com/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk