Calling All Jeep Owners.

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by DaltonGang, Sep 22, 2018.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

So, if you had to choose between to 2dr, or 4dr again, and money isnt a factor, which would you choose? Also, same for the 5 speed auto vs. the 8 speed auto?
    Any longterm issues with the 5 speed and the 8 speed autos??

RyX likes this.
  2. DaltonGang

I own an 06 dodge 2500 diesel, so i dont need anything else to haul with. I do wish the Wrangler would come with a good diesel. Also, i heard that they might, soon.

jason koonce likes this.
  3. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

I am not sure about any long term issues with the auto transmissions. All I know is my 5-speed auto works great.

I got a 2-door because I wanted to get around hairpin turns easier on remote mountain roads, and because I got a great deal on a two door. I don't have a family, though, and so can forego the extra space. Either way, though, I would be quite happy.

If you are going to go offroading on more difficult trails, a Rubicon would be the best bet. Among other things, it has an upgraded front axle, locking differentials, anti-sway bar disconnect, and slider rails. Just a thought, but you could rent a Jeep for a day or two just to see if the two or four door suits you best. Hertz rents them and other agencies might, too.

This video is for the JK, but the same idea applies to the JL, too.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    RyX and DaltonGang like this.
  4. jason koonce

jason koonce Well-Known Member

I have had 3 wranglers Cj7, TJ, and also a JK lol. Once I get back from Japan the plan is to get a 4 dr for the extra room. I have never had any issues when I had my JK one of my favorites. I just have this issue between Jeep and diesel trucks wanting both so I would go back and forth. I love to offroad but I also loved to race so the diesel offered the power and the jeep perfect for the trails.

RyX and DaltonGang like this.
  5. DaltonGang

Idea: Buy an older Jeep, and put a Cummins Diesel inside. best of both worlds. But, then again, it would probably be too heavy. Just put a 383 Chevy in one.

RyX likes this.
  6. DaltonGang

Good video. Thanks.

7. jason koonce

Haha that was one of my thought a 4bt woulda fit nicely. Cummins best motor I ever had.

Yeah that 383 would do the job to. Sound ferocious at the start.

DaltonGang likes this.
  8. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Jeep is going to start producing the Scrambler pickup in 2029, so you might be able to get both in one. Not sure if they are going to have a diesel, though.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/news/a29009/2017-jeep-wrangler-pickup-info/

jason koonce and DaltonGang like this.
  9. DaltonGang

jason koonce likes this.
  10. Preacher

Preacher Well-Known Member

Just got rid of an '04 Liberty with the 3.7l v6. I'll NEVER own another one. Kept up all the maintenance and still needed 2 engines inside of 160k miles. Even when it was running something was needing repair. First engine: hole in the top of the #3 piston, 2nd engine: cracked head. Interior was super cheap and that thing at window regulators for lunch. As much as I used to love Jeeps, I won't ever own another one.

11. jason koonce

12. Arnout

Arnout Well-Known Member

I like jeeps to look at, but i got myself a japanese pick up, isuzu dmax, after 10 years of abuse, 300 000-km, a bit of bodywork, tyres, oil and filters are the only costs i had.

It is an automatic 4 trap and it works flawless.

But a jeep, its a jeep thing i guess

RyX likes this.
  13. jason koonce

Just empty every pocket

14. DaltonGang

It's getting close. I was just pre-approved for basically whatever amount I wanted. So I threw out a number that was way too much, and they said call and within 10 minutes they can make the number higher, if needed. Plus side is, it is at 1.9% interest.
    So, all I have to do is, visit a couple of dealerships, and haggle the pricing. The wife has already picked my color out, for me. Haaa. I have some say so, I would think.

RyX likes this.
  15. Arnout

Arnout Well-Known Member

If it makes you happy,..

RyX likes this.
  16. DaltonGang

I've been driving the same truck, for 12 years. So, yes, yes it does. :D

RyX and Arnout like this.
  17. Arnout

Arnout Well-Known Member

Another 12 years with the old one?

DaltonGang likes this.
  18. DaltonGang

Oh, I'm keeping the truck, just not going to use it as a daily driver.

brit, RyX and Arnout like this.
  19. Arnout

Arnout Well-Known Member

:happy096::kngt:
    Nice! Offroad and for towing, there is no replacement for displacement.
    These new tiny engines and all the buttons, they always work untill they dont!

brit, RyX and DaltonGang like this.
  20. RyX

RyX DoH!

Is it a color you can live with?

I hear ya! My 30+ year old Ford doesn't have the wiz-bang electronics of modern vehicles. No electric windows, door locks, in dash GPS/Facebook screen, etc. I've even still got the original AM/FM radio without 8-trac player. The AC quit before I bought it so when I replace the vehicle that might be nice.

Arnout likes this.