Can someone help me identify this Gillette?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Jlu77, Jan 30, 2020.

1. Jlu77

Jlu77 New Member

Bought a box of antique cameras and found this little guy. From what I can find on Google. I think it is 1905 (per serial #) but don't Screenshot_20200130-153426_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20200130-153426_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20200130-153502_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20200130-153521_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20200130-153536_Gallery.jpg know much more than that.

brit and cliffb599 like this.
  2. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

3. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

We do not discuss prices on this forum. As many people only join to get pricing and they never contribute to the forum after their initial post.

If I were you, I would check out this great forum and learn how to clean that little guy up. Then join in on the 30 day focus and learn how to shave with it.

There are tons of members here at the ready to help you through this journey if you so choose.

Hope to see you post more on it once you get it going.

Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

AGHisBBS, Primotenore, brit and 2 others like this.
  4. Jlu77

Jlu77 New Member

My other concern was weather or not I should clean it or how to clean it. I also assume I can go buy any blade for this? Or are there recommendations?

5. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Have you ever shaved with a double edge razor???
    tp

brit likes this.
  6. Jlu77

Jlu77 New Member

No. Have been a member of a shave club (by mail) using their standard 5 or 6 blade razor

7. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Well if you want to try it?
    Your in the right place, and you now have a good DE razor.
    It's called "Wet Shaving"
    Here, we dig it!
    tp

brit likes this.
  8. Jlu77

Jlu77 New Member

What are recommendations on cleaning it. It seems to be brass (when I unscrewed the bottom post).

brit likes this.
  9. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Clean it with some dawn dish soap and a mild toothbrush.
    Wash it in some alcohol.
    Get some double edge razor blades, a shaving brush, some good shaving soap.
    Then watch some youtub video's on it.
    It takes some practice, but it's nice.
    tp

AGHisBBS and brit like this.
  10. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Its silver coated brass
    be careful
    The patina is always there, and expected.
    don't use any harsh cleaners on it
    tp

11. Jlu77

Jlu77 New Member

I will get some blades and hopefully clean it this weekend and post some shiny pictures.

12. Jlu77

Jlu77 New Member

No problem. I removed the previous post

brit likes this.
  13. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

When you get done with the hot water and soap if it is black or dark colored you can use silver cleaner or even stainless steel sink cleaner to remove the tarnish. As far as blades goes it could take awhile to find a good blade that works well for you but to start with if you want something quick you can get blades for these razors locally at the Dollar store, CVS, Walgreens or even Walmart though I wouldn't recommend the Van Der Hagen blades. From there you can buy blade samplers to find the brand of blade that you like best then buy a bulk order of whatever one that turns out to be.

14. Jlu77

Jlu77 New Member

Thank you.
    I need to hear what to avoid more than what to get. I assume that part will be trial and error.

15. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Here is what mine looks like

20190304_191010.jpg
    Getting it shinny is costly.
    You would have to send it in to a company that silver plates things.
    That will take away the value.
    Mine...
    It works great!
    tp

16. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

The dollar store blades are similar if not the same to Dorco blades. They are worth trying just because the pack will only set you back a $1 + tax. The CVS, Walgreens or other drug store blades usually cost $5 - $7 for the same amount of blades.

If you look on places like amazon or some of the wet shaving vendor websites you can find sampler packs which are good when starting out. You can also buy them by the single blade over at tryablade.com

My favorite blade happens to be the Bic Chrome Platinum blades. A lot of people also swear by the Astra Platinum blades so I would recommend trying them out also. As far as blades to absolutely avoid I can't really say outside of the Van Der Hagen blades since I haven't used a different blade besides a Bic in a DE razor for years now. The Van der Hagen is the only one I remember being bad.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    AGHisBBS, brit and Terry like this.
  17. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Hang around and give that razor a try, you may like the shave, and you might like it here. And if you don't, you can always ebay that thing for a guaranteed massive profit.

AGHisBBS, brit and Terry like this.
  18. Jlu77

Jlu77 New Member

It was less than $50 for a box of a few antique cameras and the razor and this cigar cutter (went straight in my golf bag) were in there too. 20200130_085247.jpg Screenshot_20200130-165155_Gallery.jpg

AGHisBBS, brit, PanChango and 2 others like this.
  19. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Heh, yeah, you did ok. But if you've never tried double edge shaving, you might be in for a pleasant surprise. And this is the place to learn the ropes, bar none.

brit likes this.
  20. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    brit likes this.