Can you change the direction of your hair growth by shaving against the grain?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by 7055, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

Also a chiggity check needs to be thrown in as well.

2. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

When younger I blissfully allowed pretty girls to tell me lies. Now I think with a different extremity.

Mr. Shaverman, BigT and GDCarrington like this.
  3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

This raises (okay, not really) a philosophical question. Given your enjoyment of wetshaving, how would you respond if at, say, age 40 men started losing their beards and soon grew bald-faced? Bummer or blessing? Yes, shaving as we know it wouldn't exist if that were so...just hypothesizin' for fun here.

BigT, Kilgore Trout and GDCarrington like this.
  4. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

The direction of your hair growth never changes. Shaving against the grain can cause irritation for some men, though. An electric razor cannot change the direction of your hair growth any more than other razor types. Perhaps she had an inkling that shaving against the grain does not work for some guys, and was making things up as she went along? The electric razor bit is complete nonsense. Note that some Art of Shaving do not sell electric razors, which might have prompted that comment.

The Art of Shaving sales clerks vary quite a bit in their knowledge and experience. Some know very little except their product line and are simply repeating what they were told. Others are enthusiastic and very knowledgeable wetshavers, and it shows.

BigT and GDCarrington like this.
  5. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I would never have started wet shaving. I'd have been happy with a cart and a can, looking forward to the day I didn't have to do it anymore.

BigT and GDCarrington like this.
  6. BJV

BJV Active Member

I started shaving in 1958, and my facial hair growth pattern is still the same, and that's been through DEs, Schick Injectors, Gillette Techmatics, four different electric shavers, disposables, and straights.

Did she have a heavy five o'clock, by the way?

7. Arsh

Arsh New Member

No, I have confirmed through trial and error that trimming against the grain does affect the direction of beard growth

Bama Samurai likes this.
  8. 7055

7055 Active Member

but I thought that Art of Shaving employees were some of the leading experts in the field of shaving

RyX likes this.
  9. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

I'm 69 years old - been shaving since I was 16. Always shaved against the grain - no change. Does she think she is talking to customers who never shaved?

10. 7055

7055 Active Member

I don't know, but she asked me if my beard grew in varying directions and I said yes, then she asked if I had ever shaved with an electric razor and I said yes, so she took that as verification of her claim...LOL

11. Arsh

Arsh New Member

For me,
    Its a physical thing because as you trim in a certain direction; the beard is brushed constantly in a certain direction,thus, hair tends to grow that way.

12. 7055

7055 Active Member

So now it is true? I mean it's either true or its false

13. RyX

RyX DoH!

There was a discussion (searched but couldn't find it) questioning the intelligence/attractiveness quotient of the young ladies hired as sales persons at AoS. While they may discriminate against the visually appealing challenged when hiring, most retail floor position are on the job training.

I once bought a puck of goat milk shaving soap because the clerk was cute. Lousy soap.

14. 7055

7055 Active Member

lol, yea I was just making a joke

RyX likes this.
  15. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

It is false.

16. bscarpenter

bscarpenter Well-Known Member

To the point of the AoS clerk, I walked into my local AoS and was asked if I used soap or cream. I said both and the clerk looked at me like I was a total novice. Then tried to convince me that Gillette Platinum blades were a deal at about a buck a piece. That being said, I do have their sandalwood soap and lavender cream. It is some pretty good stuff. I wish they had a larger selection of soaps.

Spyder, crackstar and RyX like this.
  17. 7055

7055 Active Member

Yea, there creams are great, even if overpriced. Never tried their soaps.

18. bscarpenter

bscarpenter Well-Known Member

I find their soaps to be of very good quality and very easy to lather. If you join their "brotherhood" you get some decent discounts. Recently I got $10 off.

19. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

There's this girl (she's cute!) who works in a boutique selling AoS stuff that I went to yesterday. She said that "because you're very olive-skinned and you have a heavy, dark beard you need a good cartridge razor like a Sensor or a Mach 3. You also need to shave only with the direction of your beard hair growth." I didn't say a word, I just turned around and walked out. I've seen guys with exactly my coloring and darker who are not heavily-bearded and I've seen blond men whose beards are even tougher than mine. Bottom line? Another ignoramus.

RyX, MarshalArtist and jimjo1031 like this.
  20. RyX

RyX DoH!

Like a cubicle dwelling phone marketeer reading from a prepared script? Must get bonuses pushing the overstocked Product of the Month. I guess they are providing a service to the Wet Shaving Community by bringing new shavers into the fold. It's the monetary rape that offends, because we all know those or better products can be found at better prices.

crackstar likes this.