Can you get there from here?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by JohnDB, Mar 14, 2017.

1. JohnDB

JohnDB Well-Known Member

Ok,
    So I've been using a Dovo shavette for about 18 months now.

I couldn't take another shave with my Gillette track 2 any longer and wanted to switch but my son intervened with a present of the shavette.

These days I'm faster with it than any safety razor ever thought of being.... Reason being that I only shave once a week for church on Sunday. The rest of the week I look like a homeless bum while being an electrician. (No one cares if I shave...I refuse to be in MGMT)

So... After doing a bunch of research and looking.
    I bought two "Sight Unseen" from the Whipped Dog. I did splurge to get a nice strop. But in a former life I was a four-star chef and am VERY comfortable making bevels and edges on steel. I just got through replacing one on one very expensive chef's knife. The last one lasted almost 20 years now.
    I still got the touch apparently.

So I took one of the "new to me" shavers to the strop and got it figured out in a minute or two of exactly how to do this. (To me, not too difficult but I can understand why others screw this up very easily)

IMG_20170313_170948932~2.jpg

But this little fella right here has been giving me trouble finding a history.

The other blade Larry sent I found out a lot quite easily. (It's a Oxford (warranted) and still has the "magnetic steel" etched in the smiling blade)

But the question is...
    "Thomas Barnes & Miller"
    "Made in Germany"
    "Dragon"

Are all the stamps in this razor and I can't seem to find any history on this one.

Can you guys help at all ?

2. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

twhite, RyX, Billyfergie and 2 others like this.
  3. JohnDB

JohnDB Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for trying.
    I looked high and low for information on this razor and found nothing myself which is why I put it out there.

So I guess that we can't get there from here.

It's still a nice razor. Not going to be getting rid of it any time soon.

RyX, Billyfergie and SRNewb like this.
  4. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

Shave it and enjoy. I have a few myself I can't figure out, but they shave very well, anyway.
    Some of the best dogs I ever owned were mutts. :D

JohnDB and Billyfergie like this.
  5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Many blades labeled 'Made in Germany' (by law) were simply stamped with the name of either the importer or the business selling the razors. Information on the actual original maker is difficult to pin down.

twhite, RyX, JohnDB and 2 others like this.