Canadian Bunny Razor Pass Around

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Hodge, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Nice write up. :signs107:

BeShaved, Billyfergie and Karl G like this.
  2. Roderick

Roderick Well-Known Member

Day 4
    After yesterday's shave, I found that I did not have rough patches on my neck, they are areas of irritation caused by poor technique. I went a little hard trying to chase the baby with the wild comb, instead of just shaving and letting the baby find me. I still had very little stubble 12 hours later so the shave was just as close as the previous shave using the NOTSO comb. I will have to better my technique to use the wild comb, or I might not need to use the wild comb.

This morning I switched back to the NOTSO comb with the Chick blade on its 4th use. The Desperado from Soapy Bathman made great lather with the L'Occitane Plisson Synthetic.

The shave:
    The shave went very well without the irritation of yesterday's shave. The blade is still sharp and smooth. I do like the audible feedback one gets when using the Bunny. You do know that the razor is working. Today the baby found me without any trouble. I finished off with Thayers Lavender Witch Hazel and a visit soaks of Gillette Cool Wave AS for a refreshed feel to start the day.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  3. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Great write ups Roderick. Just getting caught up 4 days away.

4. Roderick

Day 5
    The NOTSO comb is da bomb. No irritation and the 12 hour check for stubble was very smooth.

The shave:
    I have used soap for the first 4 shaves and today for Menthol Monday I used Palmolive Cream. The Vulfix 660S Super Badger face lathered great slick mounds of creamy goodness. The Bunny zipped around my face removing the whiskers with ease. I did find that the blade is dulling. I could get more shaves from this blade, but my plan was to change after 5 shaves so tomorrow it week be a Vintage Dutch NOS blade. I will be giving the Wild comb another shot with this blade and see if my technique can handle the aggressive nature of the comb. The razor is starting to feel natural in my hand and shaves are becoming second nature. I am wondering what will happen when I have to give it up and go back to my normal rotation of DE and SE razors.

Dolphin smooth today AGAIG.

[​IMG]

5. Roderick

Day 6
    Yesterday's shave was not as long lasting as the previous day. It was still very good, and I attribute the result to a dull blade.

My first round with the Bunny, was to use the Mild comb first and progress to the Wild. This time around I started with the Wild comb and move to the milder combs with each following shave. I loaded a NOS Dutch Ultra Platinum blade. I had some issues loading the blade. As noted in some other reviews, there can be blade loading issues, and the issue I had was that when loading, the holding spring is very loose and when I pulled the injector from the razor, the new blade slipped and ended up on top of the far blade stop. I inserted the key again and fit the blade behind the stop. No harm done to the blade, but it can be an issue.

The shave;
    The Wild is aggressive, but it does not give one a better shave. @poppi commented on that maybe his 68 year old skin could not handle the NOTSO comb, and maybe that is the issue for my 62 year old skin and the Wild comb. I had a good shave, but the blade was not as smooth as what I am used to when using the Dutch blades. I am Dolphin smooth once again, and I paid extra attention to pressure and technique as I was shaving, but I gave myself a good weeper along the jaw line on my cleanup pass. I would rate this shave 4 out of 5.
    The coffee was good, as I had to drive the missus to work before my shave so I stopped for a Timmies large dark roast 2 cream in a roll up the rim to win cup. No prize today but had a good drink while shaving.

[​IMG]

6. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Great write up Rod. I didnt try the Wild but considering how the Notso felt I cant see the need for me to use something that aggressive.

BeShaved and Billyfergie like this.
  7. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

That's the Beauty of an Adjustable Feature..Folks will Dial into what Fits them..:bounce015:

Billy..:chores016:

BeShaved, Hodge and Karl G like this.
  8. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Totally agree Billy. I've never needed to turn my Futur past 3.5.....:D

BeShaved, Billyfergie and Karl G like this.
  9. Roderick

Day 7

Yesterday's shave was very long lasting with less irritation than the first use with WILD comb. The one weeper I got on the jaw line was not a problem, but was still noticeable this morning.

The shave:
    Back to the NOTSO comb today and right from the first stroke is the smoothness of the razor on the face. Again there is great audible feedback as the blade slices through the days growth. Again the NOTSO left me Dolphin smooth and the only irritation I have is residual from the previous shave with the WILD comb.

[​IMG]

Rufus T., Jayaruh, BeShaved and 4 others like this.
  10. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Dolphin-Smooth.jpg Sounds like the notso is the way to go. Thanks for the info. I await the Bunny Razor.

11. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Great feedback Rod.

12. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

I think we need a Canadian Bunny Razor Pass Around logo for quick I.D. and branding. :D

Bullwinkle_mod_7.jpg

Karl G, Billyfergie and BeShaved like this.
  13. Roderick

March 17 - Day 7
    Yesterday's shave was excellent and long lasting. No issues at all.

The Shave:
    I used the Mild comb today and the Dutch blade on the 3rd shave. There were no issues and my shave feels as good as yesterday's with the NOTSO comb. One thing I am finding is that despite myself I have been getting good shaves. I have been manhandling the razor to shave instead of letting the razor do the work. I am a fairly experienced Injector user, and I have used a Repeating razor which has similar geometry as the Bunny. With the Bunny you need to do the following. @Billyfergie has hit the nail on the head with the light touch. You also have to find the correct angle. Once you do have the angle, keep your wrist locked as you shave and you will be fine and your shaves will be excellent. As good as it gets today.

[​IMG]

Rufus T., Karl G, Billyfergie and 6 others like this.
  14. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  15. Roderick

Bunny Day 9
    I was smooth all day long yesterday with the mild comb.

The shave;
    Used the NOTSO comb today and got another great shave. No irritation at all. Dolphin smooth. This is my last shave with the Bunny and I will ship it off later today to @celestino. Tom gave me instructions on how to tweak the spring to hold the blade tighter. After I clean and disinfect it it week be going back in the box and of to the post office. I will post a full evaluation later. Thanks to @TomWhite for his insight and imagination on creating this work of art and excellent shaving tool. Also thanks to @Hodge for spearheading the Canadian pass a round. I look forward to viewing the photos and reading the views of the rest of the participants.

[​IMG]

16. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Great post @Roderick I'm so glad you enjoyed your Bunny experience so much. :)

Karl G, Billyfergie and BeShaved like this.
  17. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Me too. Im sure Celestino will be providing some stellar photo's

Robyflexx and Billyfergie like this.
  18. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

The Canadian Bunny pass around:
    1. Me (Smithers BC)
    2. Roderick (Grand Praire AB)
    3. Celestino (Vancouver BC)
    4. targa88 (Calgary AB)
    5. Red Rider (Mississauga ON)
    6. Douglas Carey (Carelton Place ON)
    7. Jean-Marie Zeitouni (QC)
    8. Spud (PEI)
    The Bunny is on its way to the big city (Vancouver) and the farthest west it will travel during its 3rd stop on the tour with @celestino.

Hopefully everyone will keep with the tradition and take a photo with the Bunny near a landmark in your respective city and share with the group.

Jayaruh, Rufus T., Spud and 5 others like this.
  19. Roderick

The Bunny has been delivered to Celestinos front door. Let the Canadian Bunny adventures continue.

20. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Thanks for following it to its destination Rod.

You do know you didnt have to drive it all the way to Vancouver and place it on Celestino's front door right? :happy102:

BeShaved, Jayaruh, Karl G and 2 others like this.