Carson microbrite microscope

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Leclec13, Dec 12, 2019.

1. Leclec13

Leclec13 Well-Known Member

i was using a cheap import loupe prior.
    This the best $12 shaving related purchase this year so far. It performs surprisingly well. Wish I would have got one sooner. Now to go back and work on some micro chips...... I also have belomo loupe inbound.

upload_2019-12-12_5-18-46.jpeg

PLANofMAN, Keithmax, AGHisBBS and 4 others like this.
  2. Rkep01

Rkep01 Well-Known Member

Looks interesting and it's portable so that it can be brought along on SR hunting expeditions. Amazon also has a zip-up hardshell case for it.

3. brit

brit in a box

very cool.happy birthday..:greet002:

4. Leclec13

Thanks

brit likes this.
  5. Leclec13

I’ve played with this for a few days
    @ 60x. It’s more magnification I’ll ever need
    And information overload any magnification higher that 6ox
    It is a bit clumsy to use, but getting better with practice.

It has me overthinking my honing to an extent. I’m able to clearly see micro chips.

On one vintage edge that was on recent rotation there many micro chips on a blade that other wise shaved great.
    Compared to a newish modern edge with minimal flaws, The less flawed was very subtly better shave. Not enough for me to go and try correcting the flaws.

I also got in a belomo loupe which at 10x looks sharper than my import 30x. With different technique I’m guessing the 1ox is actually more than standard 10x magnification.

Still learning my new toys. I have a feeling I will be using th 1ox most of the time. And using the Carson for fun and or problem children

I still think shave feel is king!

6. Jamie Mahoney

Jamie Mahoney Well-Known Member

I use the Belomo 10x that has far as I want to go, not interested in seeing anything beyond 10x.

Billyfergie and Leclec13 like this.
  7. Leclec13

I have a belomo 10x. That I’m getting familiar with. After some use I think the 60x is more than I need. The belomo 10x is great but I am curious to see a belomo with more magnification and a Carson with less magnification.

8. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

I have one of the Carson scopes. It is better than other offerings in the same class and helpful at times.

Here is a loupe I use a lot from magnifier.com. 10x & 20x led. Still uses those crummy button batteries though.

jewelers-loupe-double-lens-jpld-10-20-2.jpg

Jamie Mahoney likes this.
  9. Leclec13

I have almost exact “imported” 3ox, 60x loupe. I had a set of batteries die on me. The batteries locally would cost more than loupe, and ended up buying another one. I did not realize how bad this loupe is until getting a belomo 10x and the Carson 6ox-120x.
    The Carson is still awkward to use and most likely too much information @ 60x, The belomo is much easier to use and gives me plenty of information. I’m curious to try , and have a feeling the the 20x-60x carson microscope, And 15 x belomo May be better purchase option,

Edison Carter likes this.
  10. Robert1955

Robert1955 Well-Known Member

I have 3 loupes, two with button batteries and this one that uses 2 x AA batteries, this one is my preferred one. It was only a couple of quid off ebay and sits in the hand a lot better than the small flip open ones, it comes with a leatherette case.

11. Robert1955

Robert1955 Well-Known Member

20191219_195918.jpg 20191219_195847.jpg 20191219_195918.jpg 20191219_195847.jpg Oops...foto eror

Edison Carter likes this.