Cart shaving on a budget

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by ShaversRUs, Mar 9, 2023.

1. ShaversRUs

ShaversRUs Well-Known Member

I'm sure some of you know this, but maybe some don't. Remember, YMMV, though, of course.

Any cart made in the U.S. is from Edgewell/Personna. Edgewell also owns Schick and Wilkinson Sword, but the latter in India is owned by Gillette.

Anyway, if you see a store brand marked "Blades made in the U.S.", it is a rebranded Personna. These costs a lot less than the big brand names. I find they shave just as well, but admittedly, it has been a long time since I paid the stick-up prices being asked by the big brands.

I do notice lately that in stores, most of the Personnas are disposables, rather than cart refills. Not sure why they are doing this.

As these store brands do cost less than the big brands, sometimes a lot less, there is a much more economical way to get a good Personna cart. Answer: online, of course. Could be your fav acution site, and sometimes other on-line vendors. You should be able to pay much less than a buck a cart. Of course, you do need to buy in bulk. But I'm not talking 5 year's worth -- bargains can be had for even 1 year's worth. Personally, I wouldn't pay more than 50 cents per cart, and frankly, you should be able to get them for even less than that.

The best deals are for twin blades, of course, and the price starts to go up as you approach the five-bladers. But wait it out -- save in your faves and wait for the offers to come in. And check the completed sales to see what the going rates are.

Another funny thing: sometimes in stores, the same razor and/or blades are on the same rack -- one branded Schick, the other the store brand. Secret - don't tell anyone: they are the same since they are from Edgewell.

Secret #2: Solimo razors are the same as Personnas. Check the pics on the river site with those on Personna's site if you don't believe me.

P.S. You don't need no stinkin' buck shave club -- create your own!

Last edited: Mar 9, 2023
    DE Cartman likes this.