Cartridge razor appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by Darkbulb, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Received this, to me, pretty unusual Wilkinson Sword Trial razor using the Bonded cartridge system.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Can't recall seeing a model like this before. Granted it was most likely a short lived trial offer but I thought I would have at least spotted one.

The shape is almost like a Personna injector with vents...made out of plastic :)

Has anyone here seen one like this in the past..?

I guess I'm once again faced with the same dilemma....leave it in the box....or open it up and use it..... ugh...........

2. Jerry-built Hustler

Jerry-built Hustler Well-Known Member

What makes you so certain it's a Schick cartridge? Merkur twin carts have the same design. My MII came standard with a Merkur cart...you know, being a Merkur handle and all.

My question doesn't apply if you are using one of your own carts. I'm assuming you didn't put the cart on yourself, but are using one that came with the handle.

PatrickA51 and engrsaks like this.
  3. pvtbanks

pvtbanks Corners First

I really need to get one of these cool old cartridge razors. I feel so left out when I have to use my modern cartridge, so this way, I could use an old style and not feel so bad! Any reccomendations?

4. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

The cart, shown in the photo, is the one that the razor came with - and it says "Schick" on it.

[​IMG]

5. engrsaks

engrsaks Well-Known Member

Now that is one classy way of engraving the brand name on the cart. :) . Nice one.

PatrickA51 and Darkbulb like this.
  6. Jerry-built Hustler

Uh...how can you be so sure? ;)

PatrickA51, engrsaks and Darkbulb like this.
  7. Jerry-built Hustler

Gillette also used to engrave their carts. I've got quite a few Vintage Atras that have "Gillette" engraved on them.

PatrickA51, engrsaks and Darkbulb like this.
  8. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

I have seen one or two before on eBay, but never cheap enough for it to be of interest :)
    I would keep it unopened, locked in the safe, guarded by a Doberman ;)

9. Jerry-built Hustler

Trac II is about as classic as cart shaving gets.

PatrickA51, engrsaks and pvtbanks like this.
  10. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

Wilkinson Sword did this is the 70's, and I have more recent Feather's that have this too!

11. pvtbanks

pvtbanks Corners First

I just don't know the set up, seems like people have different handles for different reason. I don't understand it all.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  12. Jerry-built Hustler

The Trac II is probably the most confusing setup of Gillette's carts, because it's the oldest, is long past patent protection, and is easy for other companies to make. So they're all over the place.

Sort of. Actually, if you just go by what you find at the drug store (assuming we're talking about the US), they're not so easy to find, if you can find them at all. If you look way off in the corner of the shaving aisle, you might find the Trac II Plus carts, but Gillette is far more interested in pushing its later models, so the Trac II gets short shrift (although the company is to be credited with still making the carts).

Basically, you've got carts, and you've got handles. There's no other reason to use a handle than to mount a cart on it. What you might like in a handle is another thing altogether. Some people like the old stock handles (or their modern equivalents), whereas others like better made, heavier aftermarket handles. My personal preference is the Merkur MII*, but you can get cheapie Gillette handles on Amazon, if you're interested in trying it out. There are also plenty of options at in-between price points. (For examle.) Gillette no longer makes Trac II handles for US distribution, so if you want stock, you can either buy vintage, or get one made for another market. (Again, see Amazon.)

Personally, I prefer Gillette brand Trac II carts, due to their blade quality and venting between the blades. No other brand vents properly, which can lead to clogging. That said, lots of gents use and enjoy Trac II type carts by other brands. I'll them make their own recommendations. My favorite is the Indian 7 O'Clock PII - a genuine Gillette Trac II, without lubrication strip. (Don't let the name confuse you. It's a Trac II; they just call it the PII for the Indian market.) The only Trac II carts sold in the US by Gillette are the Trac II Plus, which have the lube strip, and are more expensive than the PII.

* That could change, if I ever get my hands on a Ralph Lauren Safari Trac II razor.

PatrickA51, Leo K. and engrsaks like this.
  13. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

There's one on the 'bay right now at $10 but it's not in the best of conditions.

14. engrsaks

Is it possible that I can google the snaps of those particular carts? what keywords should I be type in the search field?

PatrickA51 likes this.
  15. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

16. Jerry-built Hustler

Sabre's video shows it pretty clearly, but if you want some still shots, I'd try Googling "vintage Atra cart" and go from there. Really, though, your guess is as good as mine.

17. engrsaks

Thank you, Mr. Nathan and @Sabre . I have to say, those vintage atra carts look way better than the atra plus.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  18. Jerry-built Hustler

True. It's too bad they don't make them like that anymore. The only reason I still have mine is they shave horribly (I would guess due to their age and condition, not because they were bad blades to begin with).

19. pvtbanks

pvtbanks Corners First

@Darkbulb could you tip me off on a good vintage razor setup. Something that just works. I'm gonna want a vintage cart setup when I start this straight razor adventure. I guess all I'd need to know is what kind of handle, and cartridge.

I would really appreciate it!

PatrickA51 likes this.
  20. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I'll defer to the real hardcore cartridge aficionados here as my suggestions would be heavily biased towards Sir Kenneth Grange designs - which is more of an obsession maybe than based on years and years of cartridge usage (which I don't have) :)

PatrickA51 likes this.