Cartridge razor appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by Darkbulb, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Jerry-built Hustler

Jerry-built Hustler Well-Known Member

I'm glad the Vector/Atra is working for you. Although I don't usually shave my head, the times I do, I always use a cartridge. It's enough work using a razor that "dumbs down" the process to a point of simply pulling a handle. I can't imagine trying it with something like a DE or SE that requires even more effort and time.

PatrickA51, engrsaks and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

The Vector was as simple as it gets, but at the same time it was as smooth as it gets. Win! I'm very happy with the results. Thanks! :)

3. engrsaks

engrsaks Well-Known Member

Atra is indeed an amazing cartridge. If you inspect closely, you will notice that atra's gap between the two blades is lesser (milder). But that mildness is compensated by slightly placing the trailing edge, closer to the leading edge*

*vs. trac-II

4. DonMac

DonMac Active Member

Razorburn,

Although I am for the most part a DE/SE shaver, I have a number of Track II's and Atras's in various handle configurations and love using them all. I recently ordered the Gillette Vector just to try it in comparison to my others. it shaves and works identically. I think you've made a good choice.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  5. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I dreamed about a cartridge razor last night, does that count? ;)

In my dream I found two Gillette Fusion disposables (I don't think they even exist!) and someone told me to take them home to try them.

Sadly I cannot remember if I actually shaved with them in my dream ;)

PatrickA51 and engrsaks like this.
  6. engrsaks

Oh you have no idea, I've shaved with so many razors in my dreams. :)

PatrickA51 likes this.
  7. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

They do exist...

[​IMG]

PatrickA51, Billyfergie and Eeyore like this.
  8. Jerry-built Hustler

Wow...that's a lot of plastic to throw away. How wasteful.

PatrickA51, Billyfergie and engrsaks like this.
  9. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I agree. That's a main thing with disposables anyway ... you throw away the whole razor each time.

10. Jerry-built Hustler

True. Those handles just strike me as especially wasteful, compared to something like the Good News.

11. engrsaks

Good news is a very nice razor. 12 good news razors, hardly weigh 50 grams :)

PatrickA51 likes this.
  12. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

I am not really sure of the logic of premium disposables? I buy Mach3's as they are frequently on promotion and cheaper than other options. The same has applied to Wilkinson Sword Quattro disposables, as with the Mach3 the head can be removed is is just effectively purchasing heavily discounted carts. The Hydro and Fusion disposables (as with the Gillette Body) have not been released in the UK. It's strange when you could want a premium disposable, you get a cheapie as with most hotel and airline razors. Although Emirates has an Xtreme 3 with a pseudo T&H and TOBS style handles ...

13. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Yes, I don't know who makes those cheap single blade disposables, but those blades are probably best used for scraping paint.

14. engrsaks

I'm going off to purchase Exacta 2 by Schick (green). Looks quite similar to Schick advantage and Slim twin. I'll be happy to see it perform like Schick advantage :)

PatrickA51 likes this.
  15. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

The Slim Twin/Advantage carts are not like ST/Exacta2 disposables...

PatrickA51 likes this.
  16. engrsaks

From the looks, these do look identical :confused:. The black one is advantage and the white one is exacta. The gap between two blades is exactly the same. Plus, leading and trailing edge have exactly same angle and edge alignment. Even the push buttons look identical.

Anyway, today's shave setup:

Schick Exacta II Disposable (made in US of A)

DSC00357.JPG DSC00361.JPG DSC00362.JPG DSC00359.JPG

Brut Shaving foam
    Brandless badger brush from China
    Gillette cool wave AS
    Nautica Atlantic Cologne

The shave was very nice and very similar to that of Schick advantage cart. Unlike Advantage, the Exacta disposable doesn't pivot.
    When compared with Vector, the exacta and Schick advantage perform way better.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
    PatrickA51 likes this.
  17. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

We have a lubra strip as your green Exacta 2's do ;). But I agree the other ones are the same :) ...

18. engrsaks

Schick has manufactured so many models, we can easily mix those up. :p .

PatrickA51 likes this.
  19. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

I hadn't finished editing...

PatrickA51 likes this.
  20. engrsaks

And I just came to edit mine ;). Anyway, is it possible to attach Exacta disposable head on Schick cartridge handle?

PatrickA51 likes this.