Case Identification/Verification

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by AsylumGuido, Aug 20, 2008.

1. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

Case Identification / Verification

After exhaustive online research I have been unable to verify the case below belongs to the Gold Ball Tip Tech which was found within. The impressions in the felt match the ridges around the ball tip, but that may have just come from the razor residing their for five decades (note images 4 & 5).

There is also no indication that an open comb was ever the case's resident as they always leave their tell-tale footprints.

The razor is a 1953 (Y-3) and is in near mint condition. The gold color of the Gillette logo leads me to believe that gold is indeed the correct razor color. The color of the felt itself is a light green that is actually somewhere in between the shades shown in images 2 and 3. I included both to give better perspective.

It is an absolutely beautiful set and I just want some assurance that pieces fit as they apparently do.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for the help!!

2. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

Looks similiar to the Milord Case from the 1940s. Except that case says Milord and is centered.

If you look at the wear pattern where the TTO knob should be. It may be just the light but it looks as if there is a pattern and a space above where a TTO knob should be. Like an SS or Ranger or Milord for that matter.

3. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

I just heard from someone on another site that has the exact same case in blue with a fat handle Tech. He said that they were standard Tech cases. They were probably made in a somewhat generic manner for multiple Tech razors.

4. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

Oh, and that pattern you see is from where the ball tip hits. There is actually an indentation I just now noticed by feel there, too, that matches where the ball sits. I was thinking it was just the felt indented, but the hard form behind it is formed to the razor too.

I guess that answers my question.

5. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I would also have to agree that they its a tech case because from what I've seen, many of the newer more expensive razors of the time had their names printed within the case.

6. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Let me throw some contradiction at you.

CLICK ME

7. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I believe the ball end tech came before the fat handled tech. I dont know much about them though one way or another as I have a dislike techs in general and have yet to get a decent shave out of one. I've moved on.

8. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

I have one of the blue cases for a Gold Tech, but have never seen one for a ball end. Most I've seen have come in cardboard boxes so that is a great find!

9. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

The Fat Handle was the original Tech that came out in 1939, I'm not sure when the Ball End came about?

[​IMG]

10. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

According to this site, sometime in the 40's.

11. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

On the site linked just above there is a gold thick-handled Tech near the bottom left, a "B3" from 1956 in a brown leatherette case with green lining that looks like the one Guido is asking about.

12. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

Yes, Blair. I saw that one early on in my research. Achim's site is always my first stop when trying to identify cases. That case has a push button release and is also Argentinian.

My case is most similar to the blue 40's Gold Tech case. I do know that Gillette routinely used cases produced for earlier models in later years to exhaust their stock. That could explain the late 40's style box with the 1953 ball tip.