Cell Rot Thread. Pic Heavy.

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Feb 18, 2018.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I thought it might be nice to have a threat to pic all the minds out there about the infamous "Cell Rot". Please join in, post your pics of your Cell Rotted razors. If you have found any info about Celluloid Degradation, and its effects on razors, of knives, please chime in.

I started an experiment about 9 months ago, with a razor I received, that was all eaten up with the Cell Rot, a Beau Brummel. I also had just gotten ticked off, trying to hone a Pakistani Razor. It was impossible. The Paki Razor would get sharp, then go dull, after a stroke or two. So, I decided to let the Paki Razor die, a slow and horrible death, only befitting of the worst razors out there. Baggie time for the Paki and Beau Brummel, together.
    Nine months later, and these are the results.

Pakistan Razor, new. It looks innocent, but its an evil imitation of a razor.
    [​IMG]

Just before bagging the Beau Brummel, Cell Rotten Razor, and the Paki Razor, that wouldn't hold an edge.
    BTW, I oiled the back half of the blade, with mineral oil, to see if that would stop the Cell Rot.

[​IMG]

Nine month, in the Baggie, with the Paki Razor folded like it is in the baggie, facing the way it currently is.

P2181544.JPG

The razors out of the baggie. Notice the lines of the cell rot. The plastic scales protected the Paki Razor from the gasses emitted by the Beau Brummel's Cell Rot. Also, the Mineral Oil did not protect the blade from oxidizing. Another interesting note: the side that had been facing down, wasn't effected as much, by the Cell Rot gasses.

P2181547.JPG

P2181546.JPG

P2181545.JPG

I bagged it all back up, and am continuing the slow death of the Pakistani Razor. :sick002:

Karl G, Keithmax, Steve56 and 6 others like this.
  2. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I wonder if it'd degrade faster if heated? Water heater closet, attic in Houston?

DaltonGang and Spyder like this.
  3. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

This one will be interesting to watch. Good thread.

DaltonGang and Spyder like this.
  4. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Scott, great idea for the execution of a razor deserving a death sentence:)

Billyfergie and DaltonGang like this.
  5. DaltonGang

Yes, it's a fitting fate for that Pakistan Razor.

From what I've read, on degrading Celluloid film(old movie reels), heat, and light accelerate the degradation. I don't remember if humidity has an effect.

Billyfergie and Spyder like this.
  6. Bookworm

I suspect that it would, with the nitrogen dioxide turning into nitric acid as part of condensation.. Maybe that would be something to try with a difference piece of steel and a different chunk of celluloid. I'd sacrifice another DA 66... :)

Spyder likes this.
  7. Bookworm

A possible add on for celluloid display cases?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7547053

Soda lime neutralization of nitrogen dioxide for nitrous oxide therapy. Won't stop the degradation of an item, but might slow down that item affecting other items. Y'know, I never realized that they made purses out of celluloid.

8. DaltonGang

I think I will pass on packing razors in soda lime. Too much in the unknown.
    Another problem would be, it won't stop the gasses, between the scales and the blade.

Billyfergie likes this.
  9. Bookworm

I was thinking it might help a display case, if you put it in the bottom like baking soda in a refrigerator - just to keep the gases from building up. As has previously been said, nothing has been shown to stop the reaction once it starts, so anything done would only be a amelioration.

Hmm.. Maybe I'll try some things when I start removing scales. I have a razor that has scales that look like the waves of the sea.

DaltonGang likes this.
  10. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

There's nothing that you can do once the nitrocellulose starts decomposing except isolate the scales. I have a set of offgassing Geneva scales, may have to try something here! Interesting thread, thanks for posting DaltonGang.

Cheers, Steve

Billyfergie and DaltonGang like this.
  11. DaltonGang

Old thread, but still an interesting topic. All new members should be familiarized with "Celluloid Rot".

Billyfergie and Keithmax like this.
  12. Suhrim21

Suhrim21 Well-Known Member

Is there anything that can be done to prevent cell rot?

13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Not a straight user so the only celluloid rot I've experienced was sitting through Justice League.

burnout961 and Karl G like this.
  14. DaltonGang

Dont expose Celluloid scales to heat, UV lights excessively, no rubbing alcohol, and store in the open. If you see cell rot starting, remove the scales, and toss them, unless you want to take the bolsters off. Or, you can store the razor, with the blade partially open, and out of the scales.
    For fun, I have taken celluloid scales off a ruined razor, and took a cigarette lighter to them. As soon as the celluloid touches the flame, immediate and hyper ignition occurs. Dont try this indoors, and be ready to drop the scales fast. When you do this, you will understand the paranoia in movie theatres, with smoking.

PLANofMAN, Suhrim21 and Enrico like this.
  15. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I had that happen while restoring a shaving brush ..... woof like a rocketing smoke bomb.

:angry021:

DaltonGang and Suhrim21 like this.
  16. DaltonGang

Exactly. I save the bits and pieces of Celluloid scales for fun like this. Scares the wife, because it is so volatile. But, boys must be boys.

Enrico, Suhrim21 and Karl G like this.
  17. Suhrim21

I want some cell rotted scales now for that reason. Boys must be boys. Plus you know "Fire" you have to say that in the beavis voice. From beavis and butthead.

Manumik and DaltonGang like this.
  18. Suhrim21

On a side note. You can take an orange peel and bend it backwards over flame and the oil that squirts out is flammable

Enrico and DaltonGang like this.
  19. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    FYI, You guys are pretty much playing with gun cotton, and when gun cotton is dried, treated, and powdered, it becomes smokeless gunpowder.

Enrico likes this.
  20. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Nitrocellulose resins are commonly used in spray lacquers, wood finishes, printing inks and functional coatings.

Totally dry, they are unstable, and explosive. In shipping, they are wet with denatured alcohol (in which they are not soluble) in order to make them stable.

I worked where a distillation unit was used for solvent recovery in cleaning solvents. The stillbottom sludge was kept slight wet to avoid exothermic reactions.

Enrico, PLANofMAN and Steve56 like this.