Central Texas Shave Soaps

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Paul Turner, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I'm interested in how the lather will work in with the Bentonite Clay.

2. JohnCoe

JohnCoe New Member

I just used the Mr. Pepper and it left my face red. I’m not sure what’s the cause but a little upset because the soap smells great. The soap did have a slight tingle but wasn’t worrisome.

3. Paul Turner

I hope your next shave will be better in that regard.

4. Paul Turner

In an earlier post I asked if this company had its own website. I'm happy to answer my own question by saying that it does now. I notice they took out the Bentonite Clay as one of their soap ingredients. Therefore, I can say with pride that I am " grandfathering the Bentonite Clay that is in my Grandpa's Barbershop" :). But it's interesting they took it out. I'm glad to see CTS has its own website now.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    BigMark83 likes this.
  5. Paul Turner

Updating-I just e-mailed Central Texas Soaps to find out the "no more Bentonite Clay" story. Will be interesting what they say.

Frijolero likes this.
  6. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

Sure enough, they do now. They have added it to their Facebook Page. It must be new since the last time I searched on them... For those that don't like web crawling/searching, here is the page: https://centraltexassoaps.com

Anymore updates on how their Aftershaves are doing? How is the face feel post dry-down?

Paul Turner and Frijolero like this.
  7. Paul Turner

I'll get back to you Tuesday when I get "re-aquainted" with it, but my recollection from previous shaves is that it's very good, healthy face-feel. Maybe not as good as Stoylin or Chiseled Face, but quite nice.

Frijolero likes this.
  8. Weasel640

OK, yeah cause last heard on here there mighta been an issue, but it was probably the soap you were using it with... Hadn't heard about the Aftershave by it's self yet...

Frijolero and Paul Turner like this.
  9. Paul Turner

Eric, I misread your original post on this. Sorry. Haven't yet bought one of their aftershaves.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
    Frijolero likes this.
  10. Paul Turner

And now I received the e-mail with the clay comments. He removed the clay and substituted mango and cocoa butter for current and future purchases. That's with all of their soaps. Course I still have the clay in mine. Greg Smith is the owner, friendly letter.

Frijolero likes this.
  11. Weasel640

You give one, you take one... So the clay I'm sure may be an ingredient that was removed because it may irritate some people. It was probably in there to help with slickness and lather creation... But Mango is kin to Poison Ivy and there are probably as many people that will find irritation from it as well.

Glad to here that he is friendly and receptive to answering questions and feedback.

Frijolero and Paul Turner like this.
  12. Paul Turner

I have yet to get down to the clay(which looks like a glorified pitching mound in the tub), so we'll see. You're right, from what I've read about the clay(both Bentonite and Kaoelin for that matter)-supposedly good for slickness and lather. I'll be using it 3 days this week, and I'm sure you'll see some commentary by me in the 30+ thread.

Frijolero likes this.
  13. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Just curious. How exactly do you know that that's clay at the bottom? I would think it a defect. The clay should be mixed throughout the soap.

oscar11, Paul Turner and BigMark83 like this.
  14. Paul Turner

I was just thinking that muhself...I'm sure it is, there just seems to be a bigger chunk of it in the middle.

oscar11 likes this.
  15. Paul Turner

I look ahead to trying two additional CTS fragrances down the road-Down At The River and Weekend Rodeo. Yet who knows when that will be??

16. Paul Turner

I hate to brag, but I'm gunna do it anyway........I checked through all the soaps at CTS, and out of all the reviews for each, there is only ONE-mine for Grandpa's Barbershop I just put in today. I do hope others kinda follow suit. Maybe they just don't like the skill of writing.

17. Paul Turner

Bill Neumann Soaps has a "beverage" scent in their arsenal. But that isn't the one I want. It's called "Old-Fashioned Soda"(I think, anyway)/

18. Paul Turner

I think you got lucky...I don't see listed in the CTS website now-could have sold out, but you'd think they'd say that.

19. Paul Turner

Did we plug the mic back in????????

20. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

I'm thinking it's a WCS exclusive.

Paul Turner likes this.