Charney Forest Hone

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by M14Shooter, Nov 1, 2017.

1. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

Just received this beauty in from the UK.Can not wait to lap it it and learn its characteristics :happy108:
    rps20171101_210703_286.jpg

2. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

:happy096:Looks a Lovey Stone..I Only Used Mine Purely as a Finisher Plonking Down a Higher Grit Synthetic..I Used 350 to 1000 Grit to Lap it for the Way I Am Using it..:eek:

Billy..:chores016:

DaltonGang and gssixgun like this.
  3. M14Shooter

I am on the same page as you.Will post a report once I have the stone lapped.I am hoping this stone can finish in the 20-22K range .

DaltonGang and Billyfergie like this.
  4. RezDog

RezDog Well-Known Member

It is a Novaculite hone and most of that family the finish is all about the lapping and burnishing. I seem to recall that you get the best bang out of them as a finisher with glycerin, oil or Smiths.

gssixgun, M14Shooter and Billyfergie like this.
  5. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I know that my Arkansas Surgical Black, ultra finisher, works great with mineral oil. The blade glides over the stone, and doesn't sound as if anything is happening. But, after a couple of laps, the edge takes on a super sharp edge, hence me calling it an "Ultra Finisher".

Billyfergie, M14Shooter and RezDog like this.
  6. M14Shooter

Finished lapping stone this weekend .Was not a much work as I thought it would be .I finished a SSA and Claus Freemont off this stone .My initial observations are that it is a faster stone than both my Translucent and Surgical Black Arkie .It did not degrade the 16 K edge that I had finished razors prior to the Charney Forest .The edges off this stone seemed a little softer but as sharp as my Arkie edges .
    rps20171106_093025_487.jpg

7. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I've always been interested in these stones. Thanks for the info.

Billyfergie likes this.
  8. oscar11

Billy are you saying you use a higher grit synthetic after using the CF? (Thanks)
    I finally made a CF purchase(I haven't received it yet). I gave up on trying to find one locally in the wild, Arkies abound and I'll find coti's occasionally and I'll find alot of in between stones that will work someplace in the sharpening process but true finishers are hard to find. One of the coti's is a good finisher the other is o.k. and have a thuri that's good. I've worn out the 8k side of my Norton 4-8k combo which I've had for years which was replaced.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
    DaltonGang and Billyfergie like this.
  9. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

I Use 16 K Lapping Film as My Pre Finisher..Then Plonk it Down on the C/F for Finishing..I Use this Method for All My Higher Grit Finishing Capacity Natural Stones..16 K Lapping Film is One Serious Underestimated Hone by Many..I have Run Well Over 100 Blades on One Strip of Film & its Still Going Strong.. :happy088:

Billy..:chores016:

DaltonGang likes this.
  10. oscar11

Thanks, I've used a fair amount of lapping film and finished out razors with that alone.

Billyfergie likes this.